X-Files remastered for HD and Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jim in Houston, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk Thread Starter

Just saw this blip over on digitalbits.com
    I have all the huge, honkin' 6-disc DVD sets that were close to $100 a piece but those first few seasons were so looked so bad I hardly watch them. It'd be nice if these come out really good.

Any inside info Vidiot? Any speculation on how that reframing will look since they are going back to the original negatives?

I love how dated the tech is, when Scully discovers all the Social Security Numbers they've been storing she says "it's enough data to fill 7 10 gig hard drives!" You can get twice that much on a thumb drive now!

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Link please?

3. Jim in Houston

4. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

5. Jim in Houston

e-X-cellent news!

Linger63, PH416156 and agentalbert like this.
  6. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

It's sad some people can't enjoy the X-files the way the original produced.
    For me ,Enjoy how it filmed and the time period
    as well . It seems every bitches it looks dated,:sigh: virtually every
    movie and tv show on dvd. Boo, hoo.
    And magic" blu ray wand" will make it ooo... so perfect.
    Nothing perfect is this world it's just mere
    Illusion as we want it.:hide:

7. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

There's a 2,500 post thread on Blu-Ray.com about this; almost all of it is an aspect-ratio flame war.

8. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I have to say the "dark" photography was part of the charm of The X-Files.

Are they turning the original 4:3 into 16:9 to make it more "modern", cutting parts of video information? That sucks big time.

Simon A and chilinvilin like this.
  9. Jim in Houston

Ouch, someone tell fox to shut it down! I really should dig out my VHS that I taped off the air and find a CRT to hook it up to. Is it OK if I FFWD>> through the commercials?

As I quoted in my 2nd post that it was filmed with wide screen in mind so evidently the image is there to support a wide screen resto. Did you even look at the comparison of the extra detail in the new print? And BTW, you don't have to buy it.

Tuco, chilinvilin and Dan C like this.
  10. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

What the... ??

chilinvilin and Dan C like this.
  11. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I'm okay with them changing the aspect ratio if they're only opening the frame up and not cropping it. This isn't Citizen Kane, for crying out loud.

12. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

No, it sounds like they're opening the frame up more to make it 16:9, not cropping it. See Friends for a previous example of this.

13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

:) I got it. I'm a bit suspicious though

...hopefully it's only the pilot they're going to fix.
    If they're really opening the frame up for the remaining 4:3 seasons, then it's acceptable.

chilinvilin likes this.
  14. No, they are making it look like how it was originally photographed . It was reformatted for 4:3 for most of the televisions of the time. Not many have those sets today. I would rather see full wide screen on my plasma.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  15. Jim in Houston

That Blu-Ray.com thread has some amazing screen caps and links to screen caps. Looking forward to this. Hopefully price won't be prohibitive.

16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

This sounds awesome!

17. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Meaningless, mirrorblade.1 "haiku"; always negative, always condescending.

Raylinds likes this.
  18. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I think he feels he's being clever, but really just pointless and annoying.

19. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I had all the episodes on LaserDisc at one time (at least the ones that were available that way). I expect the Blu-Rays will be pricy.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was gonna say: the first 5-6 years of the show were most likely shot in 4-perf 35mm, composed for 4x3. If they do a 16x9 version, it'll be compromised. But... as I often point out, this can be done acceptably, or it can be done horribly. It all depends on the experience of the mastering people involved.

I suspect that will be the studio execs' opinion as well, that the show will date less if it's in 16x9. There's always the chance they'll transfer it both ways and issue the 4x3, as apparently was done with Star Trek-The Next Generation.

21. I bought the first three seasons on DVD one day for a very good price. I think I watched five episodes before I decided it looked no better than VHS. I don't think I even took the shrink wrap off season 2 0r 3. Better sell them while I can, if I can. I'll happily buy this whole series, at least the Mulder years.

22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The release of The X-Files, one of my all time favorite shows, on Blu-ray may be the point at which I finally pull the trigger on buying a Blu-ray player.

LivingForever and blind_melon1 like this.
  23. I had the VHS for the first two seasons and got the DVD's--it was a marked improvement especially on a big screen TV IMHO. For the record, it improved with time as well.

24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I was under the impression that the entire seasons weren't released on VHS due to the space limitations and bulkiness of the format. I remember watching VHS tapes with a few selected episodes, but I didn't know that the seasons were released in their entirety.

25. Okay, maybe I was a little dramatic. I bought a few other TV box sets around the same time - SCTV and Northern Exposure are the two that come to mind - and they looked a lot better than the X Files did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.