X-Files remastered for HD and Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jim in Houston, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I agree. I loved the chemistry between Mulder and Doggett in season 8. It brought an interesting new dynamic to the show.

2. Most casual viewers lost interest in X-Files as Duchovny kept making fewer and fewer appearances each season. Chris Carter didn't do the series any favors by wrapping up nine seasons with a terrible finale that answered almost nothing and then completely ignoring the X-Files' mytharc in the second movie.

Big Pasi, kevywevy and Encuentro like this.
  3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

People who have placed orders from amazon.com Canada have been getting cancellation emails today.

4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I don't think this means it isn't happening, just that Amazon jumped the gun. I'd expect an official announcement very soon, maybe next week.

5. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

Perhaps on 10/13

6. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Just checked my Amazon.ca order and it's still there, but without a shipping estimate.

7. The streaming versions for all nine seasons have all looked really good (they quietly released the remastered versions there with no fanfare) if they had been wise they would have waited on releasing the streaming version as, I suspect, it will eat into sales for the blu-Ray for some folks.

At least,these are reasonably priced for the entire set and individually based on the early info but there wasn't any attempt to upgrade any visual effects--just up converting it all "Firefly".

Maybe we will see decent sales but I kind of doubt it. The time to release this would have been a couple of years back and way before allowing streaming of the hi def transfers.

As usual Fox--to little to late IMHO to reap sales of the show. It was pretty obvious that Fox was goi g to wait to release this prior to working out the details for the new X-Files series.

8. I also did as well and even Doggett and Reyes. The problem was thst the show didn't make a clean break and bring in some new writers. There were some terrific episodes developed during this period but, unfortunately, the writers ran out of steam and Carter was clearly burned out (not to mention that the fact that Fox tried to rip him off and then he and Fox tried to rip off Duchovney). It's amazing that no matter how much cash a company has...it's just never enough until you rip off everyone.

9. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

10. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

11. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I pre-ordered both the Collection and individual seasons from Amazon CA, the latter worked out to almost $100 cheaper and I just can't imagine anything extraneous in the box set being worth $100 but at least this way I can keep an eye on price drops and make my decision closer to the drop date.

I too have a real estate issue with box sets.

Very excited to know this is finally happening though, looking forward to hearing more about the specs and whether they might have gone back to the multitracks to create 5.1 mixes, don't think any of the TV episodes ever saw anything other than Dolby 2.0 to date.

12. Ringmaster_D

13. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Did they ever get to the truth?

14. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I see no mention of the two feature films being included, so I assume they're not in there, which is too bad.

15. malcolm reynolds

The ship date on foxconnect.com has just been bumped up from Dec 8 to Nov 13. Pre-Ordered!

16. malcolm reynolds

And now the foxconnect.com page has been taken down.

The Cigarette Smoking Man strikes again.

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Ah ah! unreal...

18. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Some are speculating that the box set's higher price may entail inclusion of the first few seasons in the original 4:3 aspect ratio (in addition to the widescreen format), while the individual season releases will be widescreen-only. The extra hundred dollars for the box set would support the addition of so many extra (some would say extraneous) discs.

We know from one of the team who did the remastering (and then talked about his work on Facebook) that they delivered to Fox the remastered show in both 4:3 and widescreen, for Fox to do with what they wished.

PhantomStranger and Plan9 like this.
  19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I'm curious, have you got a link to their FB page or to the post in question?

20. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

This is very good news.

21. will_b_free

No, but it was on the Facebook page of TheDigitalBits, in a post about the X-Files a few days ago, and one of the Remaster editors jumped in and responded to questions for two days. I have saved the text but I'm not sure we're allowed to copy and paste so much content.

22. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

That is the very rare type of extras that would be worth it, given the extra work that would have went into it...highly out of character for Fox, haha.

If that happens, awesome news...everyone will have scored a goal.

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

You can PM it to me if you have the time. :)

24. Ringmaster_D

You can copy & paste across several posts. I'm sure many of us would appreciate the content.

25. will_b_free

chilinvilin, Ringmaster_D and Plan9 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.