Xanadu soundtrack on CD (pt2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

It would be very cool to have an animation cel to Xanadu.

Song4U likes this.
  2. Pizza

Here's a few more Xanadu Movie program pages. Here's the credits pages:

xana014.jpg xana015.jpg xana016.jpg

I also got a Xanadu presskit. I'll post some of those photos soon.

Song4U likes this.
  3. Pizza

It's Saturday night and I've got nowhere to go, so I thought I'd put up some Xanadu press kit photos. :)
    Here's a couple featuring Gene Kelly. The one with him and the muses always makes me smile because he looks so happy to be surrounded by such heavenly creatures!

xanaKit015BW.jpg xanaKit005BW.jpg xanaKit008BW.jpg

Song4U likes this.
  4. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

^ Thank you sir!! :agree:

Pizza likes this.
  5. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

So are you wondering what Kira from Xanadu might look like if she aged? Well your in luck!!!
    I snapped this at Mount Helicon, she just happen to be giving a concert. ;) :love:

olivia older kira.jpg

Pizza likes this.
  6. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

7. Pizza

8. Pizza

Here's an invite to an advance sneak peak of Xanadu. I don't know why the preview would be at 2 p.m. on a Tuesday. Usually afternoon (and morning) screenings are for press. I wasn't invited to this screening but I found a ton of these dumped in the parking lot so I grabbed a couple.

xanaPass1.jpg xanaPass2.jpg

Song4U likes this.
  9. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

^^Nice...would love to have one of those!!

Pizza likes this.
  10. Pizza

Okay group, here's your chance to have your say on which side of Xanadu you prefer: ELO or ONJ? The link is below.
    Picking Sides: ONJ/ELO, Xanadu

Song4U likes this.
  11. Futurecity

Song4U likes this...Pizza likes this....c'mon guys, save the "likes" for the REAL good stuff...:)

TSmithPage likes this.
  12. Futurecity

Tonight I was in a local record/CD store and noticed that they had the U.S. XANADU CD, but it now has a clear ICON sticker on the front! It had the same black jewel case, so they placed an ICON sticker on it. I wonder if one day, they'll sell XANADU in a clear CD jewel case, like the other ICON CDs?

It was $9.99 so I didn't pick it up...I won't spend more than $5-$7 on that one (since I already have the Japan and U.K. CDs), but this is the first U.S. CD I've seen in a store for some time. My B&N has it available to order for $5, but it's not being stocked in the store though.

13. Pizza

Good to know. I'm seeing other albums being re-released as Icon releases such as Christmas albums by Glen Campbell and Dean Martin. I feel this confuses the brand. I look at Icon releases as best of packages but if it brings back a rare OOP album onto CD then I'm all for it.

14. Futurecity

Yes, same here...I am seeing ICON CDs all over the place, but I personally think that it cheapens the albums...gives them kind of a budget-looking appearance. I see that Bob Seger's GH Vol.1 CD is now an ICON CD...it doesn't make sense. If a new release is under ICON (like the ONJ comp) that makes sense, but they are also re-releasing a lot of older albums under the ICON brand now, which as I say, really cheapens the look. The only advantage is that the ICON CDs are usually cheaper.

15. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Earlier this year, I had a Disco movie weekend. I watched:

• Thank God It's Friday
    • Roller Boogie
    • Skatetown USA
    • Roller Town (a modern parody of Roller Boogie, with some elements of Skatetown)

And of course, Xanadu. I wrote these comments on a movie forum at the time:

You know, I'm pretty easy when it comes to musicals. All I really need:

1. A paperthin but pleasant story about finding love and following your dreams.
    Check.

2. A pretty girl, preferably blonde.
    Check.

3. A few musical numbers that stick with me. It's best if they send me off looking for the soundtrack immediately after watching the film.
    Check.

4. Huge dance numbers filled with outrageous colors and lacking in all sense of taste.
    Check.

5. And when in doubt, throw in a living legend.
    Check. (Seriously, Gene Kelly has more talent in his little finger than everyone else in this film, including the lovely and talented Olivia.)

A few of the musical numbers are duds, and the acting is generally atrocious. But damn, this movie makes me happy.​

:D

ShawnMcCann and EwaWoowa like this.
  16. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

Got a US pressing of the album a few weeks ago. It is extraordinarily clean, but the overall EQ sounds "hollow" to me. UK pressing?

17. Scopitone

Given the price of the Japanese edition and the more-or-less favorable reviews on the 1998 UK edition, I decided to go for the UK. A seller on amazon.uk has it listed as NEW for $9 after S&H, which is almost half what the full amazon price is.
    I ordered it just now. There's always a chance that it won't be the right edition, but for the price I decided to risk it.

18. Pizza

If only Gene Kelly got to direct it too!

19. Scopitone

All of Gene's scenes are the best ones, both musically and acting-wise. Even the outrageous and terribly-dated clothes-shopping musical number is fun because he's fun.

Pizza likes this.
  20. Pizza

Yes. I agree. His presence needed to be beefed up and Beck needed to be excised.

21. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I haven't seen any of those other movies. But you forgot Can't Stop The Music!

I do think one of the main problems with Xanadu was the casting of Michael Beck. They couldn't have found a more charmless, out of his depth leading man if they'd tried. There were rumours that Andy Gibb was up for the role but his drug problems prevented this. Another rumour was that Olivia wanted the (then) young Australian actor Mel Gibson, whom she'd seen in a film. I can't remember if it was Tim or Gallipoli..

Olivia ticked all the right boxes looks wise and had a great voice, but she wasn't a strong screen presence. She needed a decent leading man to bounce off which is why Grease worked so well.

Scopitone, Pizza and Vidiot like this.
  22. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I have the Japanese and UK versions. The former is more natural sounding and you have to amp it up, but it does sound nice. The latter is definitely brighter and more 'modern' sounding, but isn't anywhere near as bad as some on here would have you believe. I've always enjoyed it anyhow. Whichever version you prefer, the album is extremely good and features Magic. One of her biggest hits and surely amongst the top 5 songs she ever recorded.

Futurecity likes this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Don Bluth's animation for the film was damn near the best thing in it, and I really like the song "Don't Walk Away."

Song4U and Pizza like this.
  24. Pizza

It sure was great! I sometimes wonder how Xanadu would have been as a full-length animated feature by Bluth. I can imagine the modern pop songs of the time blended with the fantasy storyline by Disney-caliber animation. It would have been unique.

Song4U likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I worked a little bit on his short Banjo the Woodpile Cat, and I was very sad that it wasn't more successful. Bluth's career was very dodgy in the years after he left Disney, and I think both the studio and Bluth's work suffered as a result. At least An American Tail was a modest hit.

For those who don't remember it, here's the animated sequence from Xanadu:

Terrible mono mix (with the added sound effects), and I think the transfer is about 40% darker than it needs to be, but it at least gets Don Bluth's artistry across. The first time I saw this thing, I just fell out of my chair. It was stunning to see real Disney-quality animation from a company that was not Disney in 1979.

yesstiles, Song4U and Pizza like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.