Xanadu soundtrack on CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pizza, Jun 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Yup, that's a lip synch but she is soo good at that, always has been. :)

2. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I don't have the UK disc but sometimes it's hard to tell with Amazon since it's not always clear with their dates. I'll probably go the ebay route to make sure it's the correct 98 UK disc 486620 2

3. DCW

DCW been a-boogeyin' since I ditched the stroller.

Thanks to this thread, I've discovered the pleasures of the English verison of the Soundtrack. It's in my hands, on my laptop, etc. Thank you.

Pizza likes this.
  4. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Is that the catalog number of the '98 UK disc? Also, 2003 and 2009 must indicate a reissue? Even the original 1990 Japan CD has been reissued once or twice I think, as it's listed as 2007 now. I'm just wondering if the '03 and '09 discs are the 1998 ones...they must be, but I guess no one on this thread has bought the '03 or later versions?

5. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Looks like Bobby confirmed the 98 catalog # here

6. Futurecity

Thanks for the comments...I missed it before for some reason. Well, I also like CDs that are more "upfront" a bit as well (not compressed too much of course, but more upfront), so it sounds like the UK CD has a more modern...upfront sound. The Japanese CD does sound very clear and is not compressed at all, but I have to admit, it also sounds like, well, a 1990 CD...very low volume and probably in need of a little remastering, but it also sounds very nice when the volume is turned up - it doesn't sound like some 80s CDs which had a thin or tinny/primitive mastering quality to them...the Japanese Xanadu is very clear and sharp and has nice ambiance to it, but you have to turn up the volume a little to experience it.

I do intend to pick up the UK CD now, I just gotta make sure I find the correct one, but amazon and amazon private sellers don't list the catalog numbers (I think?) and usually don't like answering questions either.

7. Futurecity

Yes, thanks. I don't know how I missed that post before?

8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Yes, I do recommend you get it. It's a much punchier version of Xanadu! I never got the Australian edition, that got pretty bad reviews back when it came out. In fact, going off the point, I think most of the Austtralian Olivia CDS are a bit shoddy. Horrible artwork. Beginning's clipped off songs. Not good.

I still presume that my 1998 copy is the same as the 2003/2009 version you mention. I doubt the album has been remastered again and it seems unlikely they'd repress an earlier, inferior version. But I do understand your caution. Good luck anyway!

9. Bobby Morrow

10. Futurecity

Yes, I also held off getting the Aust. and U.S. CDs...I didn't hear good things about them audio-wise, so I stayed away from those, but now I regret not picking up the UK remaster in 1998. The only reason I didn't was because I was happy enough with the Japanese CD at the time, but now, I am in the mood to hear a more upfront modern version and compare it to the Japan CD.

By the way, should I expect the UK CD to arrive brand new in shrinkwrap? Sometimes EU CDs are not shrinkwrapped, but sometimes they are?

11. Bobby Morrow

It's so along ago that I can't remember for sure, but I don't think was copy was shrink wrapped. I got it from HMV probably a couple of weeks after it was released. And you're right, many UK/EU titles aren't shrink wrapped. Especially these days.

BTW, did you see my comment about asking an Amazon Marketplace seller which copy they're selling? When I answered your post, it got added to your quote so I wasn't sure if you'd seen it...

12. Futurecity

13. Futurecity

Yes, I think I noticed those comments, but not sure either...:) Actually, I did just ask 3 private amazon sellers if they are selling the '98 CD (and gave them the catalog number you gave me), so hopefully I get some responses. I guess I can buy it from ebay as well, but the real question is...was the 1998 CD re-released in 2003 and what is that 2009 CD on amazon's site?

14. Bobby Morrow

This is a cover by someone called Paula. Despite the wording, I don't think Olivia is anywhere in sight on this release! I think it's an Aussie release. Never had it, though.

15. Bobby Morrow

If it helps at all, the CD is purple!

16. Futurecity

17. Bobby Morrow

That looks like the one. It's so confusing, isn't it?!

18. Futurecity

Ah, I just noticed that you are in England, so you must be a UK Xanadu CD expert? :) Will you pick up the 2003 CD as well? No, there's really no reason to do so...I'm sure it is the same disc.

19. Bobby Morrow

Probably wont get it, because as you say, I'm pretty sure it's the same. I don't know about in the States, but here there are no decent record stores to browse anymore. You have to shop online now, you've no choice...

I live in hope of a Japanese MLPS edition coming out, or a SACD one would be even better. There have only been 2 ONJ SACDs, Come On Over and Physical but both were beautiful.

One more thing about Xanadu '98, the sleeve artwork is a bit too dark. Always annoyed me, that!

20. Futurecity

OK, thanks for the heads up regarding the dark sleeve. Yes, there aren't many US record/CD chains here anymore either...it's pretty bad...everything is online now, but of course, some chains (Walmart, Best Buy, B&N Books, etc) do carry CDs, but not the full lines. I sure do miss Tower Records and Virgin Megastore!

21. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I never purchased these because I do not own a SACD player and I was told they will not play in a regular CD player, am I correct? Also curious...did these retain the original artwork front/back and inserts? I thought "Back with a Heart" was also released as a SACD?

22. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

When Festival started releasing her back catalog in remastered CD's in 1998, I told myself, since I didn't have all the original MCA CD's (at the time) that I was going to start collecting all the Festival CD's so I purchased 2, Clearly Love and Totally Hot, while I was happy that they retained some of the original artwork, they did a nice job with the insert on Clearly Love....however the music discs let me down...because of that I stop collecting them. Fast forward to 2013 and I have FINALLY collected all the original MCA 1987 CD's, while these don't have some of the original artwork on the back covers these MCA discs have the best sound on CD in my opinion. They remind me at times of the warmth I felt while listening to her albums minus the snap, crackle & pop.

23. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

All I know is, this NEEDS to be reissued at last in some sort of "complete edition" with the songs in film order and ALL songs included, with the ones only released as B-sides.

"Drum Dreams" is the best song ever, why the hell would you leave that off?!

24. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

^^I agree, I have the ELO 45 of Drum Dreams, love that song.

I wished they had used part of this sequence in the movie for Suspended in Time, instead of the neon scene used in the movie. I wonder why this scene was cut. There is so much that was left on the cutting floor...from the movie and the music. It's a crime.

25. Futurecity

That's quite a statement. Is it really better than Bridge Over Troubled Water? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.