XLD -- where to download

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by crisp, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crisp

crisp New Member Thread Starter

Hi

Just bought a new Macbook. I've been using XLD on my old Macbook Pro happily and would like to download it to the old one.

However whenever I try I get a virus called Tuneupmymac or Tunemymac that locks onto my Safari homepage forcing it through Bing. It's agony to get rid of.

Also the Macbook blocks XLD from working.

When I google "XLD mac" I get myriad results -- which is the safest one to download it from?

Thanks

2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

The current one (as of this writing) is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xld/files/xld-20140504.dmg/download

As for the MBP blocking it, newer versions of OSX do this by design. You can override by going into System Preferences > Security & Privacy and then either changing the "Allow Apps" to "Anywhere" (not recommended) or just do an ad-hoc allow for XLD, if you trust the source. Sourceforge is, tmk, a pretty trustworthy source.

stereoptic likes this.
  3. konoyaro

konoyaro Forum Resident

Here's the developer's official project page with all kinds of info about XLD:
    http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

Note that the link to download on the developer's site also points to sourceforge.net as referenced by Gaslight.

stereoptic likes this.
  4. crisp

crisp New Member Thread Starter

Many many thanks, Gaslight and Konoyaro.

5. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Viruses? On a Mac? I thought that was impossible. At least it seems that way in every Windows thread...

6. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Softonic maybe?

7. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I'm no Mac user, but it looks indeed like the XLD download came with added trialware TuneUpMyMac.

That's annoying, but it's not a virus attack. Even Adobe now does this with their Flash downloads, which by default (if not unselected before starting the download) come with an installation program for a trialware antivirus.

http://www.soundsupport.biz/2014/08/25/avoid-apps-like-mackeeper-tuneupmymac-and-macbooster/

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

There usually is an option to not download the 'extra' stuff. It is usually cleverly hidden in plain site so that you blow right past it when you download. I haven't tried downloading XLD as discussed here, so I don't know if that is the case in this situation. I'm just suggesting that sometimes you have to read the dialog boxes very carefully.

9. goodiewina

goodiewina New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.