XTC - Drums and Wires reissue - Spring 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by modrevolve, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident Thread Starter

XTC will follow up its just-announced expanded audiophile reissue of 1992′s Nonsuch with a similarly made-over re-release of the band’s classic 1979 album Drums and Wires sometime next spring that will feature a new 5.1 Surround mix that frontman Andy Partridge reveals is “so good it’s upped my opinion of the album.”

Partridge made the comments about the new 5.1 mix by Porcupine Tree frontman Steven Wilson on Twitter late last week (he particularly noted “COMPLICATED GAME=breathtaking”), sparking a long-back and forth about the album not just with fans, but with the record’s original producer, Steve Lillywhite, as well (“I have always said recording with you guys was pretty much the easiest ever”).

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2013/08/12/xtc-drums-wires-expanded-reissue-51-mix/

As we reported last week, the reissue of Nonsuch is due out Oct. 7 in CD/Blu-ray and CD/DVD-Audio packages. That release has been billed as the first in a new series of XTC expanded reissues, and while no further details were announced about upcoming release schedules, Partridge does reveal, in his tweets, that Drums and Wires is due out in spring 2014.

As for what other albums will receive expanded reissues with new 5.1 mixes, Partridge says of record label EMI: “If they can find the tapes, we can put them out… IF.”

It’s also worth noting that while the new Nonsuch reissue has not been announced in any vinyl formats, Partridge previously had discussed plans for a new vinyl cut of Drums and Wires

2. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

Very good news!... I look forward to replacing my overly played and somewhat abused records (I turned a lot of friends onto XTC but I should've known better than to loan out the records :doh:). I hope they find all the early tapes in great condition.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

A handful of XTC albums remixed and in surround are a dream comme true. :)

Ash76 likes this.
  4. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

happy happy joy joy

5. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

woohoo! One of my favorite XTC albums.

6. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I am not sure what exactly I am going to do with myself until this thing comes out. PUMPED.

7. paustin0816

paustin0816 Forum Resident

omg please come take my money this release sounds awesome, can't wait for the rest

Steve E. likes this.
  8. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

More great news on the catalog of one of the best bands around!

DrBeatle likes this.
  9. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Count me in for this one!

10. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Excellent!! Good thing I just got a 5.1 system at a garage sale a few weeks ago :)

11. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Here's hoping that English Settlement and Skylarking tapes are nearby. Anyone recall the name of the EP that sounded like outtakes from the English Settlement sessions? All I recall are African-esque polyrhythms and acoustic guitars; no vocals. Perhaps they were issued as a CD single along with Dear God - ? This cover looks familiar .... http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f7/XTC_-_Dear_God.jpg/220px-XTC_-_Dear_God.jpg

Steve E. likes this.
  12. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Yippee!!!

13. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

Great news! Hopefully Black Sea and English Settlement will follow.

14. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

You're thinking of the "Homo Safari Series" - b-sides that appeared on singles for "Life Begins At The Hop", "Making Plans For Nigel", "Senses Working Overtime", "Great Fire" and "Wake Up". They were collected on a CD single for "Dear God."

Jimbino likes this.
  15. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

I'll buy each and every one of these that is released. I realize that we are at the mercy of tape discovery, but the one that would please me the most in terms of a 5.1 mix) would be Oranges and Lemons. That album has so much going on in it. I'd love to hear it in surround. (It also happens to be one of my favorites).

JP Christian and Preston like this.
  16. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Wish somebody would live blog either the remix sessions or the search for the original master tapes...

17. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Breaking news from Andy's Twitter account:

Phew! Me and Stu just finished cleaning up demos for DRUMS AND WIRES 5.1 as best as. With rehearsal session It's about 40 tracks in total.

18. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Wow, bring it on! I'll be very interested to hear how their earlier stuff comes across in surround.

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

40 tracks!!

20. Vinyl Release?

Please!

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The previous entry in this reissue series, Nonsuch, hasn't been released on vinyl yet.

22. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

I'd be interested in some vinyl reissues, especially of skylarking. I've already got copies of the UK first issue of 'drums & ..' , it sounds good but could be easily improved. The original English settlement on 2LP was awesome quality though.

JP Christian likes this.
  23. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I thought I saw a tweet about English settlement saying something along the line that multi tracks had been found for everthing but the singles !!!

Steve E. likes this.
  24. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Apart from Skylarking (where the masters are apparently M.I.A.), English Settlement is the one I'm looking forward to the most for this treatment.

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  25. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Drums and Wires is a fairly sparely produced record -- generally just two guitars, bass and drums -- I don't know whether it is particularly suited to 5.1, though I'm sure it will be nice sonically as it's a very well-recorded album.

In my limited experience, stuff that is pretty simple can sometimes sound too spread out or "decentralized" in a multichannel version, unless they mix it to feel more like stereo... in which case what's the point really?

mooseman, Preston and Pete Puma like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.