XTC - Drums and Wires reissue - Spring 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by modrevolve, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The version I had swapped Life for Day, but the rest of the album was the same. I always thought this was the North American version but I guess it was only in Canada.

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Sounds like it's the same as the UK version. The US album had Life as the opener, in the UK it was a stand-alone single.

Personally I would've swapped Day In for Limelight, but I guess they wanted the bonus disc to be stronger.

3. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Unless you DON'T HAVE A BLURAY player and have no interest in introducing that format into your life like me!!!

4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

No, in Canada Life was on the album (as track 3) and Day In wasn't. Otherwise, the track list was the same as the UK version.

5. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I loved that bonus ep that came with the US album, especially Limelight! :agree:

6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Bummer. Along with Skylarking, that's the one that I was hoping would get the SW treatment the most.

Steve E. likes this.
  7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That and Chain of Command are first class songs. They had more of a Go 2 type feel though, so I understand why they were set off from the album.

8. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

+1

It's my favorite XTC album.

3rd Uncle Bob and modrevolve like this.
  9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'd love to see THE BIG EXPRESS get the Steven Wilson treatment, personally.

Steve E. likes this.
  10. jsayers

I love XTC, but that album has only one song I really like - "This World Over". I've tried and tried but the rest of the album just doesn't do it for me, what can I say? :shrug:

jupiter8 likes this.
  11. Mister Keith

Mister Keith Chillin'

I am game for any and all XTC reissues.

noahjld, ringorilla and rstamberg like this.
  12. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I agree it's a dud. I also like the track "You're the Wish You Are I Had" but that's it. Terrible, leaden production on it

13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

"Seagulls Screaming" is great, as is "Smalltown." Also, the wonderful Three Wise Men single came from these sessions. Worst production on an XTC album though.

14. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

"Thanks for Christmas" was definitely a high point for XTC.

15. Here's hoping that Andy doesn't insist on the peak limiting that's on the Nonsuch and Skylarking reissues for the CD portions.

vonwegen likes this.
  16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

There will be a DVD-A edition, but as the format can hold less data, there will be less extras on it.

17. In-Absentia

In-Absentia Forum Resident

Colin's I Remember The Sun On The Big Express is a hidden gem if there is ever such a thing. I have a feeling that song would be seen as one of the better XTC songs if it wasn't tucked away at the end of BE.

Steve E. and Plan9 like this.
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Don't count on it, apparently Andy likes limiting...

The 2013 Skylarking had very little limiting, IIRC.

19. Yeah, I know but I kind of wanted no limiting. It was noticeable on Nonsuch.

20. jsayers

I was in a Safeway last Christmas and that came on the "muzak" system or whatever service they use - I was surprised and I thought what a good song it was, it had been many years since I'd heard it.

21. jsayers

Now I'll have to dig the cd out and relisten to this and a few others mentioned. All I know is I recently went through a bunch of XTC albums putting songs I liked on my ITunes to make a cd-r for the car and This World Over is all I could squeeze out of The Big Express.

22. Mister Keith

Mister Keith Chillin'

Thanks for Christmas would be a great reissue (so would Bags of Fun with Buster)!

23. Bren

Bren Forum Resident

Indeed times one hundred. As are Wake Up (great bass, great everything), Donkey (Scarecrow People before its time, musically), You're The Wish, and Train Running Low (the lyrics illustrate the desperate clamor for another mile on the track). Heck, I endorse almost all of Big Express despite its cold production, but this thread's about another fine XTC album, so back to it...

24. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I don't understand this. A new dvd/bluray player cost no more then $50 or cheaper. You still can play your dvds on it and if you want you can play some great musicblurays on it too.

love4another and jupiter8 like this.
  25. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Woah, let's not get carried away, that's a huge commitment for someone. A whole new format and everything, lol.

love4another likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.