XTC - Drums and Wires reissue - Spring 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by modrevolve, Aug 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Well, people have put in a good word for almost every other track on The Big Express, so I'll just pipe up to say that 'Reign of Blows' is my favourite track: a tremendous tempest of distilled rage, but with a great melody. Runner up would be the spastic syncopation of 'Shake You Donkey Up'. And I've never had an issue with the production, either: it sounds very diverse ('Reign of Blows' sounds nothing like "I Remember the Sun', which sounds nothing like 'Smalltown', and so on), yet appropriate to each track. I probably prefer the album to Skylarking , and I think it's miles ahead of Oranges and Lemons, which I consider by far the weakest of their 80s albums. About half the album sounds like filler to me, and the over-bright, over-busy production often gets in the way of those that aren't.

2. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

All CD versions of O&L make my ears ring. My UK vinyl does not.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Can you give me the matrixes for your pressing?

4. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I'
    I'll take a look when I'm back from work.

Plan9 likes this.
  5. It is weird to hear them in unexpected, mainstream type places.

6. Why? Is it because of the updates? I haven't had to update mine in like two or more years. Is it because of the expense? They are inexpensive now and since a lot of movies are being released in combo packs, you can still play your DVD. I'm always curious to hear why someone won't parade at this stage. I mean there's nothing wrong with it mind you but you are depriving yourself of some terrific music and movie options.

7. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

I thought XTC's nonsuch was terrible. I had never heard f them before and didn't like 95% of the album. Is this album a lot better?

noahjld likes this.
  8. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

If you didn't like Nonsuch, XTC is probably not for you.

vonwegen, ginchopolis, Ash76 and 2 others like this.
  9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Thanks is on a bunch of compilations so it's pretty easy to come by. Pretty sure Buster has never been reissued though.

10. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Well, it's definitely different--more angular and sparsely arranged. If you lean towards more of a new wave/post-punk sound, you might prefer Drums & Wires.

11. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Not trying to be a smartypants but there's plenty of places on the net that you can listen to samples of songs from practically anything, even whole tracks or the album. Amazon, Youtube, Pandora,......why ask someone if you will like something or not when you can listen for yourself and decide?

12. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

You can find it on this: Rag & Bone Buffet: Rare Cuts & Leftovers

13. hotsoup

hotsoup Forum Resident

It's true, you can listen to the entire album on Spotify for free (unless perhaps you are blocked out by country?). I've been sampling Drums & Wires exactly this way in anticipation for Wilson's release.

14. Agree. See we do more and more here. I love Nonesuch.

e.s. likes this.
  15. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Yeah, as much as I love Drums & Wires, I think XTC got better with each album – listening to their progression as musicians and songwriters is an incredible experience.

16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not "Bags of Fun With Buster"-- Since it wasn't technically XTC it's not on any of the collections.

17. Mister Keith

Mister Keith Chillin'

I'm looking for the single to be reissued. Maybe some record store day black friday release.

18. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Andy and Dave play on it, Colin wasn't involved.

20. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

It's very XTC, though, just with a different primary vocalist. It's also funny as hell. Not great art by any stretch.

21. Steve E.

Eh, I don't think you can make that sweeping statement. I don't like Nonsuch much, and I'm the biggest fan of everything they did, Drums and Wires through Psonic Psunspot. I started falling off the bus at "Oranges and Lemons"--though even that has its moments. I think only "Then She Appeared" got me, on Nonsuch, and it feels like a Dukes cut.

22. Steve E.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  23. Wedege

Wedege Well-Known Member

For sure. The thin and bright sound is too typical for the late 80's. Makes the album hard to listen to even thou the songs were brilliant written. Skylarking was much better after being remastered and released as 2LP 45 rpm.

24. mongo

mongo Senior Member

The corrected polarity Skylarking CD is a huge improvement over the other cds as well.

Grampire likes this.
  25. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

I always recommend people go the chronological route with XTC (plus ALL the b-sides, natch); it's a fabulous journey for anyone new to the band. I envy anyone doing it for the first time.

soundQman and Mazzy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.