XTC - Oranges & Lemons Blu-ray - clarification

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by neil wilkes, Oct 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

I think they should redo the disc to use the same type of authoring as the older discs that played fine. What kind of quality control was used before this was issued. There are too many people having problems.

2. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

my only issue with any of the authoring is when i select '2015 mixes' it auto defaults to the DTS surround and starts to play. when i arrow down to any of the 2 LPCM versions, then select, the music continues from where the aborted DTS playback ended, instead of starting the music over @ the beginning of song 1. i still have that odd video menu appearing over the 'mayor' us video version.

3. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

maybe we should re-title it "Oranges Vs. Lemons".

kBear likes this.
  4. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Is there only one booklet that comes with this? I can't find any 2015 credits.

5. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

Same quality control on this as the Nonsuch, Drums & Wires, Yes Album, Close To The Edge, Relayer BD's..

6. Daltronica

Daltronica Well-Known Member

I know from working in game development, that with all the different formats and variables involved in hardware/software releases, that more often than not, problems will arise. Also owning a PS3 for some time, I'm not all that surprised that it's the platform being affected. Basically, things like this will happen that no one can predict. I don't think the blame game is serving any purpose here. All parties involved are invested in making and delivering a quality product. It sounds trite, but as long as I know the problem is being looked into, and a solution is forthcoming, it's cool.

7. Daltronica

Daltronica Well-Known Member

This is completely off the point, but is there anything to be said from having this content available for digital download, as an addition to the discs? Maybe it defeats the purpose, maybe the server costs would be prohibitive, and maybe piracy becomes an issue, but at least then I'd be able to transfer the content (demos, stereo mixes) to my mp3 player or home server as I do with all my other music. As its stands, I can only listen to this stuff through my TV in my living room. It's nitpicking, but I wonder what form this discussion would take.

tcj likes this.
  8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Yes.
    BTW, I find it odd so many people are having problems with their discs. I've had none. Everything has played flawlessly for me.

wayneklein likes this.
  9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

But why?
    There's nothing wrong with the discs whatsoever.

10. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Not really odd. You just don't have a PS3, XBOX One, or one of other other players mentioned.

11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Although, probably not a bad idea to test the disc on what I assume is the worlds biggest selling Blu Ray player.

12. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

Absolutely and I can't say if that did or didn't happen for others. I was personally unable to do so since I was in the process of moving house at the time and my PS3, XBox, etc were among those items that unfortunately got packed away.

It's not an excuse like "teacher, the dog ate my homework!" it's just an honest explanation of my personal situation.

As I'm sure you'll appreciate, many many man hours of testing goes into these things but we are only human and human things happen (like being in the middle of moving house and not having access to your equipment..) but you'd have to ask others who had the opportunity to test it out in such a way, I can only speak for myself, I don't speak for the producers of this disc at all, or anybody else at all for that matter, just me.

Either way it seems things are happening now, hopefully it will be resolved in time and PS3 owners can enjoy this disc, which I have to say is one of the rare examples of a Blu-ray Audio that actually utilizes the storage capabilities of the format to the full...

..it would be a bit of a shame if all the good things it's got going for it were clouded by what could well be only temporary PS3 firmware incompatibility.. fingers crossed!

13. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

As mentioned upthread, Oranges & Lemons plays perfectly fine on my Oppo BDP-103. Since I have four other Blu-ray players, I tried it on them, too, with varying degrees of success. No issues encountered using two different PS4's (one, a launch day model and the other, a silver Batman bundle version). With my Xbox One and a "fat" PS3, though, I couldn't get past the Ape House logo. I imagine Sony and MS will fairly quickly fix whatever the issue is in an updated firmware. I don't see how this can possibly be an authoring error, since 99.9% of the time that kind of error affects every player. The error on the Drums & Wires DVD-A was an authoring error (bonus tracks somehow got left off the disc) and Ape House / Burning Shed were quick to send out replacement discs to everyone who purchased from them.

Plan9 and fredblue like this.
  14. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

Sad to report, but Oranges & Lemons will not play on my Sony BDP-S1000ES. It has played every Blu-ray without fail until now. Here's hoping that Sony will produce an update for it...

15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Plays fine on Marantz and Cambridge players

fredblue likes this.
  16. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Sheesh...some people really ought to read the thread before posting, and try to comprehend what has been said. Blaming Burning Shed is so way off base, Neil from Opus has been very open and honest regarding the issues and his/their attempts to fix them. Why some continue to not grasp this and try pin problems where they didn't originate is just a waste of bandwidth. Don't piss off the ones that are trying to resolve and fix the issue - foot, gun, shoot. They're trying as hard as they can and working with the manufacturers affected to get the issues resolved so cut them some slack and let them get the job done. Yeah, it's frustrating to get a blu-ray and not be able to play it...but when they have said they're working on it then give them a chance to make things right - it won't always be next day service but these things ate taken seriously and I think they'll be made right as quickly as they can.

17. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Got my XTC and Yes blurays today and they both play fine on my Pioneer BDP-62FD (it is not my intent to brag, just provide some additional data to help track down the problem). It's a shame there are some who are having trouble with them because the menus look very nice.

I don't envy anyone having to author these things. It can't be easy making them work on every player considering how many different models there are and then different versions of firmware for each model to really complicate things. I've run into similar issues with SACD and DVD-A discs. On one of my players, the NIN With Teeth DVD-A would play fine up to a point and then would pause for about a minute before continuing. It no longer does that on my latest player (the 62FD) but my Depeche Mode Music For the Masses won't play on it even though it still plays on my earlier Pioneer. I had to make a SACD-R of the disc in order to play it on my 62FD. :(

18. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Got mine today as well with the Yes Fragile disc.
    The XTC disc is awesome, definitely in my top 5 remasters of the year.
    Only wish the Beatles 1 album was done like the 5.1 on this disc.
    This is one of the best remaster / deluxe editions as far as content and remastering is concerned that I have purchased in a long time.
    So much to take in. Just a joy.

19. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

Any update in the last few days? I have had the disc for three weeks now and it's all incredibly frustrating when hearing other people heaping praise upon the bluray content. Hopefully patience will eventually be rewarded.

20. Ballyrotter

Ballyrotter New Member

Same here too.

I asked some straight-forward questions earlier which were not answered (why does Drums & Wires and Nonsuch work when this doesn't?)

Basically I have been left with an expensive coaster for my coffee mug!

The last time I was this disappointed with an XTC product was when I didn't hear anything else from Ian Reid's Fan Club in about 1981 !

21. neil wilkes

neil wilkes Active Member Thread Starter

To get full control over FRAGILE on the PS3.
    1 - Insert disc, and wait until the splash logos appear. (You can watch these if you like but you can also bypass them)
    2 - Press the Green Triangle on the PS3 remote (the VIEW button) to bring up the PS3 remote menu onscreen.
    3 - with the left joystick (or the arrows if you wish) move up to ENTER and press the SELECT button on the remote.
    you are now running using the remote control and you have full control over the whole disc and all it's features - it is only that the buttons are not being drawn - they are still there and working..
    In addition, the coloured buttons also control playback.
    4 - To get the 2015 mixes to play, scroll along to either the RED or the YELLOW button and press SELECT then ENTER
    (Red gets you the DTS-HD Master Audio, Yellow gets you the PCM Stereo and green will get you nowhere unless you are running HDMI audio)
    4a - pressing BLUE then SELECT and ENTER will start the original master playback.

Whilst in any playlist pressing VIEW/Triangle will toggle the onscreen remote graphic.
    The BLUE button will alwats take you to the next playlist in the sequence shown on the left of the screen playback image.
    The numbered buttons will allow direct track access.
    If you leave the disc playing, it will play all playlists in turn.
    When in either "2015 Mixes" or "2002 DVDA Mixes", the coloured buttons switch between audio streams as follows:
    Yellow = LPCM Stereo
    Red = DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
    Green = LPCM 5.1 Surround (but ONLY if a suitable audio connection and amplifier is used - digital optical output will not play 5.1 LPCM Surround)

22. van1

van1 Forum Resident

5.1 mix Playing just fine on my Sony bdv-e280 system, haven't got to the videos yet to see if there is a glitch but will comment if there is

23. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Plays fine on my PS4, there are always random firmware issues with various players. My Planet of the Apes set plays fine on PS3 and 4, but absolutely choke on my Sony 370.

fredblue likes this.
  24. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Neil, can you please provide an update regarding the PS3 (and other affected players) for Oranges & Lemons?

25. neil wilkes

neil wilkes Active Member Thread Starter

We are still waiting on Sony getting a fix.
    As soon as I have info.........

Daltronica likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.