XTC Song of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George Co-Stanza, Aug 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Loving this thread! Thanks....

2. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

The live version on Live In Concert 1980 absolutely cooks!

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  3. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I've been listening to a lot of XTC lately and have come to the conclusion that, generally speaking, Colin's songs tend to have beautiful melodies but fairly banal lyrics (esp. compared to Andy's lyrics).

4. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Not to derail this very excellent thread, but I would sell my dopey, mouth-breathing sister into harlotry for a Steven Wilson 5.1 high res mix of English Settlement. But I hear there are some missing master tapes for a couple of songs, so I doubt it's going to happen. There's nothing wrong with the original mix, mind you, I would just love to hear what Mr. Wilson could do with such an immersive, shimmering album.

Actually, my sister might not entice anyone, so never mind ;)

5. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

Humble Daisy, My bird performs. Probably all of Nonsuch, Absolute masterpiece!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  6. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'll have to check that out.

On the one hand, Steven Wilson almost always does a terrific job with remixes and 5.1's.

On the other hand, English Settlement sounds awesome already and fear a remix would change too much stuff.

sacsongs and Pete Puma like this.
  7. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

I bow to "Wrapped in Grey".

8. George Co-Stanza

Today's song is "We're All Light"

This is a fun little tune. Like much of Wasp Star, it had to kind of grow on me, but this one kind of snuck up on me. Andy Partridge has this knack for writing a song that is both really catchy and really quirky (in a good way) at the same time, and this song is a good example of that.

Pete Puma and levi like this.
  9. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I love the theremin-like riff at the end of each chorus. It adds to the Beach Boys sound of the vocals. Great song.

10. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Kind of a latter day instant classic in my opinion.

11. Great choice today! Catchy and well crafted to a fault. This song I would hold up as an example that sometimes lyrics can be too dense and actually detract from the song. The line that always bugs me is that "jack and jillion years ago" line. It doesn't work for me and is an unnecessary inclusion. Still, this song is terrific and a later period classic.

12. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Wasp Star is probably the XTC album I've spent the least time with, but I DO remember this song as a standout on it. As stated above, this treads that familiar Partridge territory between catchy and quirky with perfect balance. I really need to dig Wasp Star out and give it a good soak.

13. George Co-Stanza

I think it has a few misses, but has 7-8 major keepers.

Victor/Victrola and hutlock like this.
  14. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I remember liking it, but I definitely liked Apple Venus better and that one got the majority of the play.

15. George Co-Stanza

Same here. I am a huge fan of Apple Venus and getting both at the same time is probably why I didn't like Wasp Star a lot at first; it just seemed like the vastly inferior record of the two. I still prefer Apple Venus, but I've really come around on Wasp Star.

hutlock likes this.
  16. I think Dave Gregory was right about the albums not being released as separate "light" and "hard" collection. The best should have been mixed together for a better flow and balance.

17. George Co-Stanza

I can see that point, but I love the flow and pacing of Apple Venus. Even the songs some consider "lesser" near the end sound great within the context and flow of the record.

18. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

We're All Light - I had completely forgotten this song, and had to listen to the post as a refresher. I guess I need to dig out Wasp Star and revisit it, this album definitely didn't get enough spins for me.

That said, this song is a very nice later-day Andy ditty. I don't have the passion for it compared to the 80s efforts, but it's still great and would have fit in nicely on Nonsuch.

Thanks for the reminder George Co-Stanza!

19. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I can say without hesitation that Jason and the Argonauts is my favourite XTC song, without a doubt.

The lyrics, melodies, instrumentation, vocal hooks, musical hooks, production, sonic touches, 3 songs as 1, message, etc are all amazing!

20. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

just got the Apple Box so will be immersing myself with these two albums.

21. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

I hope that Rick thanks in Derby doesn't see this thread.:realmad:
    English Settlment is my most played XTC album from the day it was released.
    Start at the beginning on Monday a track a day.
    All good.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  22. George Co-Stanza

The way Andy sings the verses mesh perfectly with the rhythm section. The tension and inflections of his voice at certain times are in perfect synch with what Colin and Terry are playing, like they hit this really deep groove for a split second at the same time Andy is hitting the nuance of a word just a little harder, giving that singular moment an extra punch. That is the way I can describe it, but I notice it every time I listen to the song.

23. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Not to derail tread at all, but here is the working setlist of the aborted 1982 ES tour:

1. Respectable Street
    2. Burning With Optimism's Flames
    3. Runaways
    4. Jason and the Argonauts
    5. Melt the Guns
    6. Snowman
    7. Ball and Chain
    8. No Thugs in Our House
    9. Senses Working Overtime
    10. All Along the Watchtower
    11. No Language in Our Lungs
    12. Towers of London
      13. Making Plans for Nigel
      14. Living Through Another Cuba / Generals and Majors
      15.Real by Ree
      16. Sgt.. Rock (Is Going to Help Me)

24. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

and just to derail a bit further....here's a tour book for the cancelled E.S. Tour...sorry chalk-heads, not for sale!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Splungeworthy, DaverJ and uzn007 like this.
  25. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

im 90% with you on that one...Wasp Star just sounds like a produced demo to me at times. Seems like they ran everything through the same effect..not a compressor,,, but *something*. As far as 'We're All Light'...i dig the tune a lot but again, it has that slightly demo sounding vibe to it. maybe the drums are too dry. It could do with out the 'Insane In The Membrane' whistle too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.