XTC "This is Pop" documentary coming to Showtime Jan. 11

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jfire, Dec 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfire

jfire Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. jfire

jfire Forum Resident Thread Starter

nobody else excited about this?

3. quakerparrot67

quakerparrot67 Forum Resident

i would be if i had showtime..... hopefully it will come out on dvd or hit netflix at some point.

cheers,
    rob

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

5. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Just order it for a few hours then cancel it. Easy peasy. :D

6. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

very excited

7. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

7 day free trial

8. Lemon Curry

Any comments on last night's US debut? It's on my DVR awaiting me this weekend!

9. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Sure hope Showtime will rebroadcast!

10. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

It is on the schedule numerous times throughout the next week, not sure if it's available on Showtime on demand but I'd imagine it is

11. Lemon Curry

It is there on demand. Just checked.

bluejimbop, DreamIsOver and Monasmee like this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's been shown on SkyArts in the UK a few times recently and doubtless will be shown many times more. Saw about 20 minutes of it, talking about the White Noise & Go2 era. Looked excellent. Will watch whole thing soon.

13. Mezzer

Mezzer Forum Resident

Loved it. Managed to watch it by signing up for free 7 day trial on NowTV.

14. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

Thanks for hipping me to this. I will definitely check it out

15. Lemon Curry

I watched it twice all the way through.

It's informative and witty, worthy of the band. It's also Andy-heavy, as you might expect.

With just 90 minutes running time, there's never any deep dives that hard core fans might want to see. If you already spend time at the Chaulkhills website, there's nothing new to learn here.

But still, it is nice to see contemporary versions of Andy, Colin, Dave and Terry talk about the band with much love and respect. Barry Andrews doesn't appear - that's a shortcoming. And wouldn't it have been nice for Todd Rundgren to chime in too.

It's a must see for fans - I really enjoyed it. I'm hoping for dvd/blu ray release with tons of unused footage :)

theMess, Mr. D, dthomas850 and 2 others like this.
  16. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

It was a darn good doc, well worth seeing.

Did you know that Andy and T. Rundgren had a bit of a snit on Twitter within the past couple of years? I'm not sure if they ever patched things up, but it had some definite venom to it (at least on Andy's part), if I recall correctly.

17. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

Watched last night. As a huge XTC fan, I thought it was very well done.

Could have used more Steven Wilson and less from that band who I have no idea who they are. But otherwise, very well presented.

theMess likes this.
  18. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Something very telling in the end credits:

XTC *were*...

and then a list of the band members’ names.

Of course, not a single thing in the film suggested a reunion. And that’s ok from my perspective. The band did call it quits at the top of their game.

A very enjoyable film.

19. Lemon Curry

I think Andy has come around realizing what a great job Todd did, but I think with a few pints these two would quickly come to blows :)

theMess, Chris DeVoe and Twangy like this.
  20. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I know the documentary got some people speculating about a reunion, but two days ago, Andy tweeted: "there is no XTC these days, we will not be recording together again." (And I do not choose to interpret that as a coded message - "a-HA! He didn't rule out TOURING, did he?!")

I'm glad most of them agreed to participate in the documentary. I'll happily purchase a copy if there is a commercial released on DVD or Blu-ray in the United States.

21. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Liked it but felt very short. Every time I thought it would get into some real detail it would be boom off to the next bit. I could watch a 3 hour version.

theMess likes this.
  22. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

i'd seen an MP4 file of it last year, but the ending piece was new to me on Showtime.....said to the wife i wondered why Barry Andrews had nothing to say about anything.......i don't think anyone but a deep fan would want a 3 hour version! I always figure something is better than nothing!!

23. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I saw it tonight....this is really good. I didn't know much about the participants in XTC, but it was interesting.
    Honestly great influentual band that belongs in the Rock and Roll HOF....they are better than Bon Jovi

vince, Mylene and live evil like this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I've been trying to understand the Todd/Andy feud for years, and I don't think Andy would have liked any producer who would have been more than a good little engineer, and done as Andy wished. Todd gave them a hit record and an album for the ages - and Andy may never forgive him for that.

By the way, John Lydon loved hanging out with Todd. From the Onion's AV Club:

AVC: You’ve got a great story in Anger Is An Energy about how, while you were making Psycho’s Path, you spent an evening sitting, drinking, and listening to music with Todd Rundgren.

JL: Yes! What a great fella he can be. And in a madhouse way, you would never expect a chap like him or me to get on with each other. Well, we did! I introduced him to things that he hadn’t heard. His music is very soulful, really. White soul, which is not to say invalid at all. It’s a very seriously interesting thing. But I played a Tim Buckley track to him that he hadn’t heard of called “Sweet Surrender,” and we hit it off musically. We’re sort of on the same page, but very different from each other. And he’s a great drinker. [Laughs.] You know, you’ve got to come fully prepared for the man! But more so than that, he’s a great thinker. And I’m always—always!—happy in the company of thinkers.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    theMess, bluejimbop, Mylene and 3 others like this.
  25. arnett

arnett Forum Resident

I haven't seen the new DOC but I've read the Andy-penned liner notes from the new Steven Wilson 2016 remix of Skylarking. It's clear that Virgin told Todd not to spend too much time on the album and to make sure the band recorded "hits." XTC thought they were going to spend lots of time recording (as usual) with a fellow musician and not just a famous producer. The sessions got off to a rough start when the band were relegated to Todd's "B" studio in the guest house of his estate which Andy said smelled like a dead rat.

Andy clearly didn't have as much control over the sessions that he was accustomed to having in the UK. But he said in the Skylarking liner notes that Todd didn't seem to take the band very seriously. XTC was relatively unknown in the US, so that might even make a little sense at the time.

The band had traveled back to the UK when the album was mixed. Thus, it's perhaps understandable that the XTC were a bit soured on the final result. Andy said that it took months after the release of the album before he could even listen to Skylarking.

theMess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.