XTC-where to start?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Etienne Hanratty, Jan 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I usually find the first album the best introduction to a band I'm interested in but that may not work for others. : )

Tombby likes this.
  2. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

That would be pretty amazing! I really enjoyed seeing him on the XTC documentary

3. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Doesn't work too well for XTC, as a majority of their LPs sound vastly different to their first and second records.

Tristero and DaverJ like this.
  4. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

As Andy said in the documentary (and I paraphrase) "there are not many artists who start here (gesturing highly up with his hands) and continued to get better...there is one famous band, and well us"
    Not only do the albums sound very different from album to album I do think they got better- and better... to a point I can't say Wasp Star tops the skylarking nonsuch oranges - though apple venus was great (just that it was a duo by then...) Great stuff

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

O' OK, as I'm not into them so i didn't know. : )

6. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

A live recording of XTC at Hammersmith Palais in 1984 is being broadcast on BBC6 at 2.00am on Saturday 22nd. :)

7. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

'84? They stopped performing live in 1982. Gotta be an error, right?

8. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

9. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident Thread Starter

OP here.

In the end, after I failed to find Fossil Fuel at my local HMV, I put my plan to explore XTC on the back burner until couple of weeks ago, when I was clearing my Sky+ box in readiness for Christmas and came across the This Is Pop documentary. Having watched it, I felt inspired to order Skylarking which was completely different from what I expected but still great. After that, I ordered Apple Venus vol 1, which I thought was even better and which sounded amazing. I now have the English Settlement box on order and am wondering about getting Wasp Star, which seems to be the only other album readily available on Vinyl.

EDIT: Thanks again for the recommendations.

van1 and DaverJ like this.
  10. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Drums and Wires was my first purchase.

Joti Cover likes this.
  11. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

Nice to read a follow-up, and it sounds like you are on a good course. English Settlement is one of the greatest albums of the 80s IMO. Please follow-up once you've had time to take it in.

I would recommend a pass on Wasp Star vinyl for now -- it's good, but not to the level of XTC's best. Instead, hunt for a used copies of Black Sea, Mummer, and The Big Express vinyl, preferably in that order.

Enjoy!

Etienne Hanratty likes this.
  12. Tombby

Tombby Forum Resident

I agree with starting at the beginning with White Music. It has almost no filler (“I’m Bugged”, All Along the Watchtower”..) And go chronologically to Apple Venus. I think that should have been their last official release.

13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Beatle nuts who still haven't checked out XTC 40 years after their debut has to be one of the biggest head-scratchers I know of.

Ash76 and DaverJ like this.
  14. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Mine too...its still my favorite one but I like a couple of other albums of theirs quite a lot.

15. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I just finished doing a thorough reorganizing if my CD collection
    and I am discovering a lot of CDs I forgot I had.
    One of them was Oranges and Lemons.
    Never paid any attention to XTC but somewhere
    along in my musical journey, I bought this CD.
    Just listening to it now.
    I quite like it.

vince, uzn007 and DaverJ like this.
  16. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Let this be the beginning of a journey...

vince, DaverJ and Etienne Hanratty like this.
  17. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Welcome!

gkella likes this.
  18. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

[​IMG] All the essentials on one long disc and a great sampler for nubies.

Pete Puma, Max Florian and uzn007 like this.
  19. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Got a copy of Transistor box recently and glad I did. The live show is worth it on its own.

uzn007 likes this.
  20. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident Thread Starter

As one of the OPs, it’s great to see this thread resurrected. I’ve now managed to acquire about half of XTC’s albums, and would probably rank the Dukes’ records as the best followed by Apple Venus and Skylarking. However, if anyone were to ask me where to start, I’d unhesitatingly recommend Black Sea as the best distillation of where they’d been and as clear indication as possible of what they’d become-a transitional album, but in a good way.

21. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

R+ B Buffet is an amazing collection.
    Definitely one of my favourite XTC cd’s!

vince and DonnyMe like this.
  22. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Heaven Is Paved With Broken Glass has a different mix on R+BB.
    I prefer the demo of Punch & Judy on the Coat Of Many Cupboards box set.

23. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

According to the Chalkhills XTC fan site, the single mix of "Heaven Is Paved with Broken Glass" has never appeared on CD, and the same remix appears on both Beeswax and Rag & Bone Buffet. Of course, Chalkhills could be wrong. I have an LP copy of Beeswax but I haven't listened to it in a while, so I can't say how much it differs from the R&BB version.

24. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I was in the same boat a couple years ago, never really explored XTC beyond a couple stray singles. I heard D&W at a friends house, and decided to take the plunge. Thankfully the Ape House reissue series was cheap, and I had just upgraded to a surround system, so I bought all the available CD/Blu-ray sets for a pretty cheap price and have been really happy I did. This is a band who I overlooked for years, but have realized just why they are as revered as they are. Every album is great, if not a masterpiece.

I'm holding off buying the others in case the masters are found and they can do a 5.1 for each album. I've streamed the others and English Settlement is probably my top pick for anyone wanting to get into them. Such a great album.

I also picked up Andy's Fuzzy Warbles comps (also available pretty cheaply as 3 cd sets). Man this guy is an endless fountain of pop genius. Even his throw away songs are miles better than most bands records.

25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Isn't he, though...
    Even his LAUGH is genius!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.