Y Kant Tori Read was reissued today!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bRETT, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan Aaron

Nathan Aaron Forum Resident

- Uhm, the entire point of RSD is that you CAN’T preorder items based on customer’s wants and instead do have to “wait it out in line”! In fact, at least in the past, stores got reprimanded if they attempted to feel out order quantities. So either that’s changed or your store is playing loose with the rules! Mind you, I think it’s stupid you can’t pre-order if a customer makes a request. Many stores end up with overstock that just rots.

2. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I bought the download before I realised it was getting a physical release and think it is dreadful. I discovered Tori with Little Earthquakes and never really had an interest in exploring obtaining this album as she spoke so harshly of it. Now I know why!

3. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

"Misguided" is the right word for this album.

DesertHermit likes this.
  4. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Yes I agree. Some of the writing is actually quite good, but the arrangements, vocals and production are terribly misguided, as you say. I suppose it’s a good testament of where she began and it shows some potential but I really don’t think I’ll ever listen to it in its entirety very often, if at all.

5. Nathan Aaron

No one should really expect this album to be a “Little Earthquakes.” It’s for fan completists only, but I’m rather excited for the vinyl reissue! Sure, it’s a bit over the top, but songs like “Cool on Your Island”, “Etienne Trilogy” and “Floating City” prove the talent was there. The album does have a select number of songs I personally feel still stand up well today.

6. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

It's over-produced eighties pop-rock and as someone else said, it's a fan/completist curio BUT some of the songs when played live recently show that underneath the terrible bombastic eighties production, the songs were good. I honestly recommend checking out some live clips of Tori visiting songs from this album on her recent tour.

I'd love to see her completely re-record it, stripped down and rearranged. It could be one of the better albums in her recent output.

DesertHermit likes this.
  7. bleachershane

8. bleachershane

The original, for comparison...

tin ears and bluemooze like this.
  9. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

the original for me. Without a doubt.

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  10. bleachershane

I can live without the eighties over-the-top production. I genuinely believe these songs would shine if Tori took them back into the studio with the idea of going back to basics.

Nathan Aaron likes this.
  11. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Is it weird that this will be the only Tori album I own? I've always liked it more than her other albums and her non-hits.

bluemooze and Nathan Aaron like this.
  12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

You like what you like. Nothing wrong with that.

13. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Vinyl and CD copies bought this morning. :D

oxegen likes this.
  14. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Rough Trade has an orange vinyl edition on sale in the store today. Will see if it's available at lunchtime.

bleachershane and Sammy Waslow like this.
  15. The Hud

How much was the CD?

16. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

LP was €22.99, CD was €17.99.

The Hud likes this.
  17. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

€17.99 for the CD? Wow.

18. The Hud

Still cheaper than the first pressing. :)

19. Nathan Aaron

[​IMG]

Grabbed my copy today at the local record shop! I thought they might be out (got to the store a couple hours after it had opened), but they had a good 10-15 copies! My shop does a “one copy of each item per person” which I appreciate! I’m not loving the orange colored vinyl gimmick, but I’ll live! ;) Nice to see it’s been remastered!

bluemooze and PretzelLogic like this.
  20. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

Anyone have any way of confirming how good the remaster is and if it has good dynamic range compare to the original legit Atlantic CD release?

I picked up the vinyl today.

Reading the notes it looks like Tori and her team didn’t do the remaster which to me is a good thing because her last few albums the dynamic range is really bad. Compare even the #s for Native Inavader CD to LP its barely any better.

The notes on the inside lyric sheet / notes states

REMASTERED DECEMBER 2016 BY BOB LUDWIG AT GATEWAY MASTERING

CUT BY CHRIS BELLMAN AT BERNIE GRUNDMAN MASTERING

21. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I paid $14.98 for the CD.

JackDVD78 and The Hud like this.
  22. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

You mean they also released a brand new CD today also? Or are you saying you found either an older legit OOP CD (I know there are so many boots out there for it, it’s crazy)

23. The Hud

The CD and LP came out today for Record Store Day in limited quantities, and at least the CD will have a bigger release at a later date.

JackDVD78 likes this.
  24. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

Thanks for the CD info the local shop near me didn’t have the CD but another nearby location still had 3 CDs of it left!

I just grabbed one!

2 left at near close time.

Galley and The Hud like this.
  25. The Hud

It is still a little hard for me to believe that this is actually available again. I am glad it is.

Galley, Nathan Aaron and bluemooze like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.