Yacht Rock Revisted: What Yacht Rock is—and isn't.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeftCoastGator, Feb 4, 2017.

1. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

It does seem like a derogatory term, not quite as bad as Corporate Rock, but along the same lines.

Grant and drasil like this.
  2. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Elderly people debating terms. Let's keep this going. Yacht Rock. Left Coast 70's. Lite rock. Soft rock. Mellow mood music.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

To me, it's just music, and good music, at that!

I never bought any soft rock back in the 70s or early 80s, but I heard it all on the radio, and the radio station I listened to had an abundance of it on the playlist. I'm happy for it.

LeftCoastGator likes this.
  4. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I agree. I love it.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I just thought of some more:

Lotta Love - Nicolette Larson
    I Will Be In Love With You - Livingston Taylor (James Taylor's brother)
    Gold - John Stewart
    Magnet And Steel - Walter Egan
    Stumblin' In - Suzi Quatro & Chris Norman
    This Time I'm In It For Love - Player

...And an all-time favorite of mine: "Ebony Eyes" by Bob Welch!

A lot of these great songs can be found on any 70 Rhino comp.

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Beware of false Yacht Rock!

kyouki and jalexander like this.
  7. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

full moon likes this.
  8. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

This is just a silly thread that is supposed to be funny. I get it. It has nothing to do with actual discussion about a real genre of music.
    Have fun!

BoogieFish likes this.
  9. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Actually it started off quite serious although a few people got butthurt when some of their favourite bands were included in the "yacht rock" genre.

10. O Don Piano

If you lump in Steely Dan with the nebulous Yacht Rock genre, then it's not serious.

11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Although they came from a muscle shoals background they definitely have that yacht rock sound....

Blaine Jacobs, RoyalScam and zebop like this.
  12. videoman

videoman Senior Member

It's possible to be serious and lighthearted at the same time.

I have always loved "yacht rock". Since long before it had the name. I grew up with this music. I don't love all of it, of course. Pablo Cruise was one of my favorite bands as a teenager. I still love those albums. McDonald's "If That's What It Takes" is one of my favorite albums of all time. Christopher Cross, OTHO, left me cold pretty much from the outset.

But I have no problem with anyone wanting to call it "yacht rock" or even if they want to make fun of it. I can make fun of it in some ways too. It IS often light and over-produced and schmaltzy. I get why that puts some people off. But I also like those things.

People get way too precious about their music, sometimes. It's just music. Enjoy it or don't enjoy it. It neither offends me nor breaks my back if someone wants to make fun of music I like.

So, I say....crank up some P. Cruise and pour me another, mate!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  13. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Just because every track they ever recorded wasn't "yacht rock" doesn't mean much of what they recorded wasn't. It was.

"Aja" and "Gaucho" are filled with it. Even if the lyrics take on a darker or more cynical form. But "Jack with his radar, stalking the dread moray eel, at the wheel, with his Eurasian bride"?

That yacht rocker fantasy stuff right there!

14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Does the song Feels So Good by Chuck Mangione count?

15. videoman

videoman Senior Member

:edthumbs:

16. LeftCoastGator

LeftCoastGator Forum Resident Thread Starter

Let the eye rolling begin! I do see a definite distinction between yacht rock and (the genre) Westcoast. Westcoast, as our good friends in Norway and Sweden like to call it, includes yacht rock, but it's less tied to the music than the overall vibe and aesthetic, so it's more inclusive. Westcoast includes music that wouldn't be considered yacht rock by most, such as disco, R&B, and jazz fusion. So Airplay's "Cryin' All Night" and Michael McDonald's "I Keep Forgotten" are definitely yacht rock and Westcoast, where a disco band like Breakaway, an R&B act like Earth, Wind, and Fire or The Brothers Johnson, or a jazz outfit like Spiro Gyra or The Yellowjackets wouldn't be considered by most to be yacht rock, but are Westcoast all day long.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  17. MikaelaArsenault

:)

18. MikaelaArsenault

How 'bout The Rippingtons and Hiroshima? Do they count as well? :D

19. videoman

videoman Senior Member

:shake:

20. MikaelaArsenault

:(

21. davers

davers Forum Resident

My first concert ever was Pablo Cruise opening for the Michael McDonald led Doobies in 1977. In the context of this thread that may have been the "big bang" of yacht rock!

For fans of the genre there's a Time Life series titled "Smooth 80s" (and variations on that title for each 2-cd set) that's loaded with yacht rock.

Northwind, RoyalScam and videoman like this.
  22. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Here's another Yacht Rock classic.

I especially like Anne Murray introducing the band by talking about how Kenny Loggins was raving about them.... :D

Northwind and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  23. O Don Piano

It IS a derogatory term.
    This 'genre' was originally a silly and sarcastic spoof of 70s soft rock. Now people seem to think it's a real classification. It's not.
    I'm watching this thread because it may be one of the most ridiculous "discussions" about music I've seen on this forum. And I've been here 10 years!

24. videoman

videoman Senior Member

That is why the term must be owned! Take the 'derogatory' out of it! If you don't take it as derogatory, then how can it be? What? Between two people who don't like the music? Who cares what they think?

Either way, it's nothing to get your Vans in a bunch about.... :D

25. videoman

videoman Senior Member

What makes ANY classification of music "real"? They are simply just terms used to identify certain stylistic elements in music and as long as we all know what we are talking about then we're all on the same page and it's all good.

"Rock" is obviously too broad a category so it has been broken down into further categories and sub-categories over the years. Most rock music doesn't fall squarely into any one category anyway. But the identifiers still serve a purpose for radio programming, general discussion, etc. What makes anything "classic" rock? Or "New Wave"? Or "Heavy Metal"? Or on and on. Who came up with those terms and at what point did they become "real" classifications? Seems to me that "yacht rock" is just as valid as anything else.

Since I only put a small amount of stock into the value of such identifiers in the first place, then I'm hardly offended by those that might possibly be derogatory. Apparently some others take it all much more seriously and think what we call any particular song or artist is VERY important.