Yamaha A-S501 or A-S801

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by revolversoul, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RND4mGuy

RND4mGuy Forum Resident

Can the Yamaha WXC-50 be connected to the 701 in a way that bypasses the 701 preamp and turns it into a power amp?

2. I'd go for these B&W,685 S2 I'm sure they would fit your integrated amp nicely, B&W seldom disappoints. Does your integrated amp have a subwoofer output? Many integrated stereo amps have a sub out these day. If it does you can also add this subwoofer ASW608 That's the one I have on my mini-home theatre room (9 square meters, with a Pioneer SC LX-76 A/V receiver, a 9.1 design that can also be used on a 5.1 configuration bi-amping the three front channels) and for the price and size is really great, not the deepest bass out there (obviously) but it fills your room with very tight and controlled bass (it's a sealed enclosure design, right as I like it) that will complement any bookshelf speakers.[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Helom

Helom Forum member

The A-SX01 series and 1100/2100/3000 amps have a different overall presentation. While the 701 and 1100 will have familial resemblances in tone, the differences are beyond mere power output. The 1100 has a lush sound to the midrange. Its note decay extends beyond that of most SS amps, so it has a tube-like quality. The X01 amps use bipolar transistors, which I believe account for the more typical SS presentation. The sound of these amps is a bit more controlled and deliberate, a bit more analytical than the 1100, but not as detailed and spacious.

In other words, I think some may prefer the presentation of one series over the other; however, a lackadaisical listener may not even notice these differences.

ThorensSme likes this.
  4. RND4mGuy

RND4mGuy Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback Helom. I hear what you are saying about the two series from Yamaha but I have no frame of reference regarding "tube-like" vs "deliberate and analytical". I guess I need to go and read the thread titled "Describe ""tube sound"". I've never heard a tube stereo setup at length. Does this sound suit a certain genre of music better than others? I listen to classic rock, singer-songwriter, folk, and jazz mostly.

Regarding the 501 vs 801: what other differences between the two besides power rating and DACs?

5. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

How would you categorize the Yamaha A-S1000 ? More similar to the 1100, or the 701?

6. Helom

Helom Forum member

I've not heard the 1000, but it uses bipolar transistors so it may be more like the 701/801.

7. Helom

Helom Forum member

I can't say. The 801 probably has a better headphone amp. An Australian magazine measured 100 watts of actual output for the 500. I believe Audioholics measured the 801 at about 105 watts. They have the same reserve capacitance (24000 microfarads) and I believe they share the same transformer as well, so I'm doubtful if the power difference is notable in practical use.

One member here claimed to hear a significant difference between the 501 and 701, but I'm a bit skeptical.

I describe the 1100 as "tube-like" because it has a more spacious, dimensional sound. Notes sort of hang (decay) in the air just a bit longer. It sounds more like the real deal. Once you've heard it, you realize that many systems and components literally cut off the trailing edges of music.

audiolistener, StimpyWan and RND4mGuy like this.
  8. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

This will shed a tiny bit of light...

[​IMG]

9. Helom

Helom Forum member

Each model steps up the mass by approximately two pounds, so I'm thinking the transformer must be larger with each move up the ladder. That's really all that would account for that great a difference in mass unless they merely beef up the chassis.

CBackley likes this.
  10. Lebowski

I was wondering the same thing...

11. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Yamaha doesn't give ratings for steady state power below 4 ohms, but they do give dynamic ratings.
    Here is the 801...140 / 170 / 220 / 290 W for 8/6/4/2 ohms.
    Here is the 501...130 / 150 / 185 / 220 W for 8/6/4/2 ohms.

As you can see, the 801 is a much beefier amp as impedance drops. A lot more than the 8 ohm ratings. That is most likely from a bigger transformer. Definitely accounts for the 4 lb weight difference, and probably most of the price difference between the two. I do believe you were right.

Those low impedence ratings would also account for some listeners feeling the 801 had tighter bass than the 501. That would be speaker dependent of course. Now, your 1100 is a different beast. It's pretty much a 2100 for folks that don't need balanced inputs. I'm sure there a few more things that account for the price difference, but that seems like the big one.

12. Lebowski

Why do you suppose there’s the 2 pound difference between 701/801? They have the same power rating (at least nominally)

13. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Headphone jacks on the A-S X01 series just have a resistor in series on them - effects the impedance but they have insane power on tap. I think they work really well with a HD600 - adds some bloom and more than amply drives them - you will never get much 9 O' Clock on them, unless you want to blow them up.

Helom likes this.
  14. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Not sure. The DAC is different, but I doubt that accounts for 2 lbs.

15. RND4mGuy

RND4mGuy Forum Resident

From the Yamaha A-S801 website:
    • "High strength chassis with double-bottom design for excellent dampening of vibrations"
    The A-S701 apparently only has the single bottom which, along with the lower grade DAC, would account for the weight difference.

Lebowski likes this.
  16. Helom

Helom Forum member

I highly doubt that would account for 2 lbs, even 1 is unlikely.

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Do you use the 801 with either of your B&Ws? I may try one tomorrow with my 704 S2s. (I can try it no risk for 30 days.) Right now I am using an old Yamaha AX-497 (similar specs to the 501.) I've had it for 9 years. I am pretty happy with my current sound, but curious if the slight upgrade in power in a modern amp will give me a significant boost in sound quality.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  18. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Yes I use my 801 with my B&W CDM 1nt's from Ca. 2002. Think they are rated to take up to 150 watts and the Yammie puts out 100 watts. I do near field listening with them as its part of my computer system. I think it's a fine combination. I do think your 704's would shine with even better amplification.

But yes from a Flac file from my IMAC to the internal doc on the Yammy I think it sounds excellent, particularly considering the price. Being on a desk and close to walls severely compromises the sound quality however. If you want to spend ~$1,000 for an integrated amp, I believe the A-s801 is tough to beat. I really love the neutral sound. I've made this recommendation a few times and I've read about people being thrilled and others underwhelmed. Based on what I've read of your excellent 704's, I think its a good starting place. But considering you can get a used Parasound Halo for $1600 ash used, I would be tempted to spring for that unit if I had the 704's. Or a P5 A21 combo is you really want to make them shine. Guess it all comes down to budget. But for $800-ish, the 801 is tough to beat. Looks great and has all the features a two channel amp needs sans bass management. I am really impressed with the snappiness of the bass from the 801. The range I noticed the most improvement from when I purchased the amp. I'm confident the 801 would power my CDM 7se's well. It would not be enough for my power hungry 804's however.

Or if you wanted to give tubes a try, you can get a used Rogue Chronus Magnum II. A well regarded affordable tube amp.

Carlox and George P like this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

Do you leave it on Pure Direct when you play CDs, or do you use CD Direct instead? It seems you can't enable both on the 801, as I can in my AX-497.

20. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I would probably use CD - Direct if I played CD's through it. But I only play music from my computer. I don't use pure direct because I use the balance to compensate for my right ear being more deaf. I can't tell the difference anyways with or without pure direct on.

21. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks, did your 801 change much in the first few weeks or months of you owning it? And if so what were the changes?

I bought an 801 this morning and put it in my system. I noticed right away that the base has tightened up, compared to my old amp

22. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I don't use tone controls when I listen to classical ...

23. George P

George P Notable Member

I don't use them for any kind of music, never have.

24. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have been on separates like forever and the preamp on my current main system does not even have tone controls. Most integrated amps tend to have tone controls but I last owned my only integrated almost thirty years ago ...

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for sharing this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.