Yamaha A-S501 or A-S801

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by revolversoul, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

I can try when I get home, but I'm pretty sure I cannot. There have been many times that I've switched from the phono input to CD by simply pressing the CD Direct button, and the Pure Direct indicator lamp shuts off (if memory serves)

Doug Walton and George P like this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

Your memory is correct! At lunchtime today I went into a store and their floor unit did the same thing. We compared the sound from the CD input on the CD direct setting, pure direct setting, and with no setting. The three of us all agree that the sound was the best on the CD direct.

Lebowski likes this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member

Have you ever compared sound from a CD source with CD Direct Amp on vs. Pure Direct on?

4. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

The CD Direct is the best line stage input. I don't use my onboard phono stage, but plug my Sutherland outboard into this input. I can hear the difference vs. the other inputs. I only listen to those silver drink coasters in my car, so might as well get the best sound I can with my record player.

Doug Walton likes this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

701/801 owners - how long does it take your amp to warm up? Or do you leave it on 24/7?

6. George P

George P Notable Member

I'm having a problem when using the USB to connect to my laptop via MediaMonkey. Everything plays fine, but it stays stuck on 16 bit, even if I play a 32 bit file.

Any suggestions?

7. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Try 24/96 ? What OS ? Settings correct for bit rate in OS and MM ?

8. George P

George P Notable Member

Sorry, yeah, tried those too, the indicator on the front of the amp stays stuck on PCM x1.

Windows 10.

Thanks, will look that up.

9. james

james Summon The Queen

disclaimer: I've never bi-amped a speaker before so I'm looking for clarification.

My speakers have two sets of inputs with jumpers. The S-801 has two sets of speaker outputs that can be used at the same time (A + B).

I believe I can run a set of wires from the Speaker Ouput A to one set of inputs on the speakers and another set of wires from Speaker Output B to the other input terminals on the speakers? Correct? Is this worth doing?

How does that work with the passive crossover in the speakers? Doesn't the crossover need to see the full range signal to direct the highs to the tweeter and the rest to the woofer?

10. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

That's correct. Use identical wires.

11. james

james Summon The Queen

got it. thanks

12. Helom

Helom Forum member

Make sure the amp's impedance selector switch remains at 8Ω. Setting it to 4Ω only starves the power.

james likes this.
  13. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

And make sure you remove those jumpers!

Helom likes this.
  14. james

james Summon The Queen

does anyone know the answer to this question?

15. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

You would be bi-wiring, NOT bi-amping.

The Pinhead likes this.
  16. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The crossover is still receiving the full signal. Instead of jumping at the binding posts you are jumping at the amp.

17. james

james Summon The Queen

so speaker terminals with 4 inputs and jumpers exist purely for bi-wiring?

18. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Pretty much.

19. james

james Summon The Queen

thanks. i've skipped over the bi-wiring debate while reading audio forums over the last 20 years (because I didn't care).

Seems like a shotgun configuration is probably the best way to go.

20. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Well, at least all of my Paradigm speakers can be bi-amp. Paradigm literature that comes with the speakers actually said bi-amp is best. But their sister company sells amp too. So, I take the suggestion with a grain of salt.

21. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

One can bi-amp just about any speaker as long as you are using two separate power amps, active crossovers and have or make provisions on the speakers for the proper connections. Anything else is not bi-amping.

The Pinhead likes this.
  22. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Yeah, in my case is passive bi-amp. Not your version of active bi-amp.

23. Helom

Helom Forum member

The removal of the jumpers results in only the high frequency signals travelling the length of the cable hooked up to the tweeter circuit. Low freg signals only to the cable connected to the woofer circuit. The alleged advantage is reduction of intermodulation distortion by removing portions of the bandwidth from each cable lead.

james likes this.
  24. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The problem with that notion is the amp is sending the full frequency signal through both sets of cables.

The Pinhead likes this.
  25. Helom

Helom Forum member

The amp doesn't send anything. The speaker drivers "draw" the signal as they are the load. I don't know that i believe there's any real benefit. But this is the claim explained in a nutshell:
    Bi-wiring Speakers: An exploration of the benefits -

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.