Yamaha NS-1 Speakers - Trim Pot Question(s)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by apesmu, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident Thread Starter

hi all,

on the rear of my Yamaha NS-1 speakers there are trim pots which purportedly control the high frequencies of the speakers. i inherited these speakers a while ago, and actually have no idea what the trim pots do and/or how i should set them up.

when listening to these speakers, it seems that there is less high end information coming from my left speaker. i'm hoping it's not a tweeter problem and perhaps do to setting up the trim pots accurately.

again, i know nothing about trim pots.

would love to get these speakers set up properly. any help would be greatly appreciated.

here's a link to what these speakers look like: http://audiophile-hifi.myshopify.com/products/yamaha-ns-1

thanks again all!

:righton:

2. apesmu

3. apesmu

early morning bump.

4. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I would first check if there is really a speaker problem. It could be that the speaker placement or the music you listened to favours treble on one channel.

Place the speakers next to each other, play some pink noise (MP3 files can be found online), and switch between the channels using the balance knob of the amp (if the amp doesn't have one, connect a source (computer, MP3 player) that can change the balance). You will easily notice if the treble reproduction of the two speakers is different.

If there is a treble problem on one speaker, it could be due to either the tweeter, the crossover or the trim pot. Also make sure it's not the amp, by switching the channels.

The treble trim pots are meant mainly to make it possible to correct room acoustics problems, or to adjust the tonality to taste. You better leave them in the neutral setting unless you feel the need to adjust treble. For example, if one speaker is placed next to a window on the side, treble reflection will be boosted by the glass surface it it can be helpful to lower the treble on that channel.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    rocksteady65 and apesmu like this.
  5. apesmu

thanks Claude. I will check.

6. apesmu

would the the neutral setting be tuned to High?

7. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

It's hard to say what is a neutral setting with a trim pot. After you check to make sure there is really a discrepancy between the two speakers, with the easiest way being swapping the left for the right and visa versa, I would just adjust the trim pots until the speakers sound right to you.

apesmu likes this.
  8. apesmu

thanks all for the replies and advice. i'll give it a go over the weekend.

9. apesmu

hi all,

i was able to check if the problem is related to the amp, and it's not. i swapped both speakers, and even tried another set of speakers that i have. the amp is fine.

so the problem seems to lie in the speaker itself, whether it's the tweeter, the crossover or the trim pot.

actually, i'm not exactly sure what crossover means - is there something to look / listen for?

i'll play around with the pink noise files when i can. i'm hoping it's just down to being a case of getting the trim pots at the right level, but i've already messed around with them a bit, and it does affect the sound, but i'm still unsure.

also, i should add that it does at times "seem" to be on about equal treble volume with the other speaker, or in and out at times, so i'm not sure if the speaker is just not picking up certain frequencies, or something inside is not connected properly, or dead, etc. difficult to describe. again, pink noise test should determine this.

if i decide to open up the speaker, any troubling signs to look for? i'll do that as a last resort, or most likely take it down to see a professional.

any other advice is greatly appreciated. and thanks for the advice already given!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
    rocksteady65 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.