Yamaha RX-V495 subwoofer connection issue

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Omnio, Jan 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _ Thread Starter

Yamaha RX-V495 and a pair of Elac B6 speakers - I'm immensely enjoying this combo but I have decided to grab a nice subwoofer (HSU) which I connected to my receivers subwoofer output via coax, to no avail. Absolutely no signal comes out. Tried to connect them via high level speaker outputs - the woofer works.

Did I miss something?

2. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I presume the subwoofer is self-powered? Have you tried using a different cable to connect it to the coax socket of your amp?

3. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

That subwoofer out is strictly an audio line out at sub frequencies. It isn’t a dual function RCA jack that would include a digital output at that same connection.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  4. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

This may seem obvious but make sure you set up the receiver to send the appropriate signal to the sub, ie: Speaker settings Main plus LFE, or whatever is called.

ggergm likes this.
  5. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Did you enable subwoofer in your Yamaha? If so, did you use Stereo listening mode instead of pure stereo?

ggergm likes this.
  6. Omnio

I'm having trouble to find out how to enable subwoofer on the receiver, let alone to choose between stereo and pure stereo. I've lately picked up the receiver from Craigslist and the manual is not much of a help in that regard.

The woofer is self-powered indeed.

7. Omnio

8. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I bet you have to turn the sub out jack on. It's in the speaker assignment section of the menu. Press the "Set Menu" button on the remote. You'll adjust the menu on the receiver's display. Use the up/down/left/right/enter buttons to get to the screen that allows you to turn on the subwoofer output.

Yamaha was pretty good about making the sub out work on all modes, not just the home theater ones, so the fact that you want to use it as a stereo receiver shouldn't make a difference. I think this was true on the RV-V495 but it was many moons ago that I sold that receiver so I could be wrong. Heck, I could be wrong about what I had for dinner last night.

9. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

In page 23 of the manual (link the OP provided) shows how to set the sub/LFE up.

10. Omnio

Thank you gentlemen, now it works through the subwoofer out. Now it's time to harmonize the woofer with the speakers. It's gonnabe a daunting task for a newbie, like me! :)

BuddhaBob and caupina like this.
  11. Omnio

I have another noob question. So I have this 5.1 AV receiver but I only use it for 2.1

Do I need to switch the receiver to stereo or by just connecting only 2 speakers it automatically functions as a stereo receiver? In other words, do I get the full stereo through my 5.1 receiver?

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

In your speaker selection, you should select "Large" for Front Left and Front Right" "Yes" for Subwoofer, and "off" for Center, Rear Left and Rear Right.
    When playing a disc, go into the Audio settings for that disc and select "Stereo".

Optionally, in your receiver and/or disc player you can select something like "Downmix to stereo" which will split the Center signal to your Front Left and Front Right and send the Rear Left and Right signals to your Fronts.
    This way if you are curious to hear the remix, but don't have 5 speakers, it is downmixed to 2.1.

ggergm likes this.
  13. Omnio

The manual says to select small for the front speakers so all the lows will be channeled to the woofer if I use a subwoofer (which I indeed use). They say it will let the speakers to only focus on reproducing mids and highs and all the lows will be output by the subwoofer.

stereoptic likes this.
  14. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

You have to try what works best for you. The manual gives you some guidelines you can use to get everything up and running but the fine tuning is up to you. Set the speakers up the way you think sounds best...you can select the cutoff frequency you want the sub to handle, ie: 100hz or 80 hz or lower depending on its capacity.

15. Omnio

Gotcha. Thanks again for all the help folks!

caupina likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.