Yaqin CD3 switch-on safety

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by William Bryant, Sep 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm thinking about getting one of these just for the heck of it, but I'm concerned about something.

Years ago I hooked up a friend's tube preamp (wish I could remember the brand) to my solid-state power amp, switched on the power amp, switched on the tube preamp, and fried a set of nice speakers (Celestion SL600) when the tube preamp sent DC into the power amp when it was warming up. This was confirmed at a repair shop where we took all the equipment and repeated the procedure on the bench to find out what was going wrong and why I was out a lot of money. So my question:

Is it safe to switch the Yaqin CD3 on and off while it is connected directly to a power amplifier that remains switched on and is capable of delivering DC to a speaker? Is there some kind of protection, or is this the kind of circuit that bumps and pops and sends spikes of garbage down stream as it warms up? For what it's worth, the power amplifier is a John Iversen electron kinetics eagle 2 that will indeed deliver DC to a speaker in great quantities if you deliver DC to it. Whether this is a good design or not is beside the point, at least for now. This amp has been in my system for over 30 years and continues to deliver powerful, lifelike sound to my Vandersteens. I just need to know whether the Yaqin can safely switch on and off when connected to a power amp that remains switched on.

Thanks!

2. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I have the Yaqin SD-CD3 and yes, it does pops and spike signals when switching on and off. I learnt this the hard way as it made my Pioneer Elite A/V receiver go into protection mode twice, the times I took it to Pioneer repairing service and got billed around 90$ each time. Since then I first switch the Yaqin SD-CD3 on, wait for a minute or so and then switch the receiver on, and the opposite when my listenning sesion ends, receiver off first then the Yaqin SD-CD3. I've also got the service manual for my receiver so I can now get the receiver out of Protection Mode just in case I need it.
    The Yaqin SD-CD3 works great with sources with a weak analog output stage 'though I don't currently have it on my home theater system, I may think about selling it.

3. William Bryant

I just recalled the brand of tube preamp that caused the disaster I was referring to.

Counterpoint.

The unit had two switches on it that related to startup. One said on/off. The other said mute/operate or something like that. I think the idea was to leave it in the mute position until it was thoroughly warmed up to avoid catastrophe. But I didn't realize it when I switched on with the unit in the operate position.

4. William Bryant

Your reply kind of scares me. I don't like turning my amp on and off all the time. It's got giant capacitors that I would rather leave powered up than cycled up-and-down all the time. My system is really minimalist at this point so I'm not sure how to deal with this. Right now it's CD player optical out > DAC with volume control > power amp > speakers.

In the old days I would've put the Yaqin in the tape loop, but none of my equipment has anything like that anymore.

EddieVanHalen likes this.
  5. William Bryant

I just looked around for a Niles Audio tape switcher box - remember those? But it would appear they've been discontinued.

6. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

That's how it works, so you are warned, and I haven't exagerated a bit:shake:

7. William Bryant

What about the iTube2?

Would it let me play around with tube sound without potentially dangerous switch on issues?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.