Yaqin MS-12 Tube Phono Amp vs. Advent 300 Phono Amp - SAMPLES

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tone, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tone

Tone Senior Member Thread Starter

I recently purchased a Yaqin MS-12 Chinese Tube Pre-Amp/Phono amp.

Here's a sample comparison page with the MS12 and my Advent 300 preamp, which features a high end Tom Holman designed preamp.

Samples are 16/44 4 meg files. Fleetwood Mac-"Dreams" - Technics SL1200 TT with AT150MXL cartridge.

Real Time Player and 2nd Windows Media Player for each file ...... (Let me know which of those works best for future reference.)...... You might need to adjust the volume fader on the player. Volumes are matched for each sample.

http://www.proarts.net/tube_phono_vs_ss_phono_amp

2. This is basically a textbook example of the difference of tubes and solid state. The Yaquin amp doesn't have quite the "shimmer" on the top end as the Adcom and is a bit looser in the bass, but it *grooves* in a way the Adcom does not. Because of people's different tastes regarding "accuracy" vs. "musicality" (or, to put it another way, "detail" vs. "warmth"), it's a close call as to which sounds "better"--although I myself like the Yaquin marginally better--but it's undeniable that the two phono pre's sound *different*.

3. Tone

Very good take Billy. Your post sums up my feeling as well between the Yaqin M12 Tube and Advent 300 SS phono amps.

4. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

Even late at night, I prefer Yaqin MS-12.
    After only few seconds; (I listened only once), I just feel it sounds better.

When I can listen louder, I’ll get back to you.

5. It's funny how even an mp3 file can capture the difference between tubes and solid state.

6. simplefi

simplefi New Member

I preferred the Yaqin because I think it had a little more dimensionality. In fact, I think it had better high frequency extension/detail than the Advent. FYI, both file types worked equally well for me.

7. Tone

The samples are Not MP3 Files.......... Regular 16/44 .wav CD files. Which is why they sound pretty good.

8. Aha. Well, it's funny how a digital file, played back through my computer hardware, can reveal the differences between tubes and solid state farther down the playback chain . . .

9. DaleH

DaleH Forum Resident

They both sound awesome but I couldn’t tell much difference on my laptop with headphones. The Advent seemed a touch dryer with a little more detail.

10. Tone

I agree. Nice thing about tube gear, is that it has a distinctive sound, and it's not hard to hear that magic. Good ear summing up the sound of both these units Billy.

These Yaqin MS-12 Preamp Phono Amps are very nice units for $269. 4 tubes, well made and you get a preamp and a phono amp!

Attached Files:

11. I see Nichicon electrolytic capacitors in that photo. Nice.

12. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

The file links are broken for me...looks hella nice for $269.

- Sushimaster

13. Tone

The files should play via the real player or the windows media player below it, and I added a quick time option. Does that work?

What type of Computer are you using?

Anyone else having trouble playing these. Would like to know for future reference.

14. Tone

:agree: The tube Yaqin, has very good detail and dimension.

15. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

They do not work for me. I would suggest, when postings sounds for general forum consumption, a file format that can be downloaded and saved, rather than one that requires a "player".

16. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

To my ears Yaqin sounds better

They sound more natural to me. And I have to say, that I have never listened anything with tubes before!

This unite is really a bargain, IMHO. :righton:

17. Tone

Your computer won't play a standard Windows Media Player file, or Real Player or Quick Time File? Wow even my wife's ancient laptop will play the windows file here.......... Trying to make it easy to not have to download files. Many folks won't due to virus risk.

What kind of system do have JB if I may ask?

18. Tone

Okay JB, I did put a download option on the page. May make it load slower. Thanks for the suggestion.

19. Antares

Antares Forum Resident

All samples work fine with Firefox/MPlayer in Linux :thumbsup:.

Hard to say from just one short clip, but the Advent sounded "cleaner" or "dryer" as mentioned, while the Yagin might be described as more "lush", with fuller if less tight bass and brighter treble.

20. Tone

The advent 300 has a renowned phono amp and it sound very good. Bass is tighter on the 300 but the Yaqin Tube is warmer, in the 200hz range.

I prefer the Yaqin as it has better dimension, warmer mids and silkier highs. The Advent does have brighter highs though.

But as Eric (Billy Budapest) pointed out, these samples are a textbook example of tube vs SS.

21. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Seems i am the minority here since i prefer the clear and perfect Advent - to me this is how this track should sound. The Yaquin is a bit mishy mashy and not exactly clear esp. the bass is whoompy not tight. just my 2 cents .
    Played on the HiFi with speakers - not headphones.

Even a secod round couldn't convince me of the Yaquin - now it was the HiHat - not enough contour - mayb eit was the mastering? The vocals are beautiful and everything is nearly perfect, but not 100 % imho.
    gimme more and different sounds and i could change my mind. But overall i guess the Advent wins as far as measurements go, too.

22. Tone

Interesting observations.

I was playing the two preamps back and forth today over my speakers and I was having the same feelings as you report. The firm clear bass and overall clarity of Advent 300 is very appealing. The Yaqin tube is a bit mushy all around, but the warm mid range is still very nice, and I miss a bit of that with the Advent.

One revelation of this test is how good those Advent 300 phono amps are. They are renowned for a reason. Cheap too, under 100 for the entire preamp!

btw..... the Tube sample on my page may be a hair louder than the SS, so a fair adjutment may be in order.

23. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

exactly!!!

but the advent is warmer and had some bass the tube did not.

24. Tone

Quality switches and plugs too. Big Iron is a little light.

25. Sounds like you got it backwards to me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.