Yardsale Bonanza II: TANNOYS!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pdenny, Apr 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient Thread Starter

Three weeks after finding a Fisher 800-C receiver for a buck at a local yardsale, I think I've scored yet again. A guy was getting rid of two speakers a couple of blocks away on Saturday. I needed a couple of larger speakers for my patio so I figured why not? Once I plugged them into my Yamaha amp though...I knew something was up :D . I popped one of them open and --ta-da--Tannoy! These things sound heavenly...

The enclosures have seen better days (see pic below) but the grills are in very nice shape; no tears or stains. My question for you Tannoy-aware folks is: can you tell the vintage based on the pics? What's with the gold-lightening-bolt-plastic-logo-thingy on the grill? Do these things really sound as wonderful as I think or am I being subliminally influenced by the Tannoy label? The tag on inside the enclosure says "Model No. 122/10"; Serial #: 40085. Any comments much appreciated!

Almost forgot: both speakers for $5.

http://home.attbi.com/~pdenny/tan1.jpg

http://home.attbi.com/~pdenny/tan2.jpg

2. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

Wow, that's a sweet score! I'm a firm believer in yardsales -- I bought over half of my components at yardsales for ridiculously cheap prices.

I've bought McIntosh amps, an Ampex reel-to-reel, an entire Dynaco system, and other tubed goodies, from people who had no idea what they were selling :thumbsup:.

I always watch the papers for estate sales, too -- those are always good for stereo components and vintage LPs.

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I'm angry it wasn't me. Very angry. Congratulations, I guess. :mad: ;) :D

Get that Fisher restored and hook up the Tannoys. It's gonna sound beautiful. :love:

PS: Please promise me you will NOT keep those speakers on the patio...

Dan C

4. pdenny

Re: Re: Yardsale Bonanza II: TANNOYS!

Ha ha! No, don't worry...my patio's enclosed and the speakers are not in direct sunlight. Methinks they'll be replacing my Polks in the living room anyway :D

Can anyone place the vintage of these puppies based on the photograph? Thanks.

5. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

6. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Well they started making the AudioMetrics in 1956 so that gives a starting point.

All the best - Andrew

7. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Oh man, I am extremely jealous and green with envy right now! ;) I love Tannoys, they are what I use now on my entertainment 'reference' system and in my home studio. I have heard many speakers over the years, but none of them seem to sound as good to me as my Tannoys, and that is why they have been my main speaker manufacture for going on 12 years now.

8. pdenny

Wow Jeff, thanks for those great resources! I'll be digging through those for a few hours tonight!

Is there a quick way to tell a dual concentric? I guess the sites you cite will tell me....thanks again!

9. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

There's a very easy way to find out.
    Is the tweeter located in the centre of the woofer or is it a seperate unit. I see on the pic there is a small something or other on the front baffle. What is it? Jeff

10. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

I should add, if it's two drivers in one, it's a dual-concentric.
    Even if your speaker is not a DC, if it sounds good it's a goodie. Jeff

11. pdenny

Separate tweeter, crossover. Yup, still a goodie!!

12. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Uh oh. Another Tannerd!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.