"Yellow Submarine Songtrack" - mix, EQ, NR, etc. differences vs. previous versions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by john lennonist, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY... Thread Starter

I tried a couple of different wordings for searches, but couldn't come up with anything.

I'm curious about the specific differences, song by song, of this collection vs. the previous versions of the songs.

I assume that the "Yellow Submarine Songtrack" is all stereo, so I guess the differerences would apply to the differences vs. the previous stereo mixes.

Any NoNoise used on this comp? And if so, judiciously?

2. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Well, I guess I can start this off with the fact that the Eleanor Rigby vocal isn't in sync with the music.

3. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

IIRC, somebody in this forum said it was off by 22 milliseconds.

Derek

4. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I hear some compression and a lot of the songs seem not to "breathe" to me, but there are nonetheless some good things on the Songtrack. The 1967 tracks "pop," to my ears. They sound more immediate than the older mixes. The vocal on "Baby You're a Rich Man," for instance, is mixed to the fore, where the old (stereo) mix was almost buried in spots.

Jason

5. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Agreed that the vocals are out on "Eleanor Rigby". It's as though they used the wrong channel from the original as a guide. The original stereo version has ADT on the vocals which puts that delay in of around 25 - 30 milliseconds!

I can't listen to "Yellow Submarine Soundtrack", because of the digital echo and the fact that all the tracks sound so sterile!

6. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

7. GabeG

GabeG New Member

This is probably heresay, but I love the mix of With a Little Help From My Friends.

Something about the way the background vocals really come through.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'm also a heretic. I like the remix of "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" on the Songtrack. Very spacey.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Others have complained about them but I like the mixes of "All You Need Is Love," and "Baby You're a Rich Man," songs that were heavily bounced-down in their original incarnations. I just think the parts sound a lot better. I never owned the original "Yellow Submarine" album so the mixes of those songs sound fine to me, especially "Bulldog" and "It's All Too Much." The Sgt. Pepper songs are probably just too burned into our brains to be remixed; the new mixes are OK but they don't improve anything. It's too bad about the vocal of "Eleanor Rigby" but I don't think it's really that noticeable unless you really focus on it, and I like having the strings in stereo.

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

That's the problem I have with it too. The drums on Lucy In The Sky suffer from this. The tom hits aren't right. Whatever Geoff Emerick did during the original mixes gave everything more life than what we have on the remixes. Instruments are too separated, there's not the interaction like on the original mixes.

Then there's the issue of all that reverb drenching the string section on Eleanor Rigby. Geoff went through great pains to make them sound DRY! Why would they drown them in verb... and so much of it? :confused:

11. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Re: "Yellow Submarine Songtrack" - mix, EQ, NR, etc. differences vs. previous version

Heard it on satellite radio a few weeks back. :sigh:

12. posieflump

posieflump New Member

Quite. As I once described it, the original mix places you in squarely in the middle of the string section in a dry acoustic; the remix (and the strings-only mix on "Anthology") place you 30 feet away from the players in Abbey Road Studio 1.

13. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

MY opinions on the Songtrack remixes:

1. Yellow Submarine. Probably the best one, a nice alternative to the old mix.

2. Hey Bulldog. The rythm track is too filtered sounding, the original was much more treble-y. The bass guitar sounds dead and the vocals are missing the ADT/distortion.

3. Eleanor Rigby. The vocal track slips noticabley out of sync by the end of
    the song. The soundstage has a phony fishbowl echo/reverb I can't stand.

4. Love You To. Vocal WAY too loud but otherwise good.

5. All Together Now. Guitar too quiet.

6. Lucy In The Sky with Diamonds. An embarrasing remix, every single element is wrong. Why didn't they USE the original mixed down rythm track with all the FX intact????? Instead they used some awful plastic sounding phase effect. The vocals are WAY too loud and tamboura and keyboard far too quiet. The mono version is absolutely incredible compared to this version.

7. Think For Yourself. Vocals too loud. Sounds better if shorted to
    mono.

8. Sgt Pepper/With A Little. Too much echo/reverb on Paul's vocal and the
    bridge to next song is incorrect, otherwise a nice alternative mix.

9. With A Little Help. Intro guitar is missing some ADT or something. The disected rythm track loses some punch but still a likeable mix.

10. Baby You're A Rich Man. The piano and drums (that deep bass drum is
    mostly EQ'd out) are hardly there compared to original stereo mix. It has totally lost it's funky, rythmic edge.

11. Only A Northern Song. Well, I guess anything is better than the
    old mono mix.

12. All You Need Is Love. I can't decide if I like this or not. The stereo is far better but that tin can echo/reverb sucks.

13. When I'm 64. Vocal too loud and piano too quiet. The old mix is much warmer and more intimate. There is some noticeable distortion or bad filtering on Ringo's brushes.

14. Nowhere Man. Vocals too loud. Unless they mix it with a lot of
    the treble taken off the vocals this one is always going to sound
    like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. Sounds better if shorted to
    mono.

15. It's All Too Much. Lead vocal too loud. The lead guitar used to be so loud and upfront in the old mixes. The bootleg mono mix is far more enjoyable to my ears.

Final mix grades:

stereo postioning - A (about the only thing they did right)
    EQ - A
    Echo/reverb - C
    Balances - D

14. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

The delay used on Revolver to spread the vocals across the stereo is 33 milliseconds. The Eleanor Rigby vocal mis-sync is much larger than 33ms, prolly like a 1/10-1/4 of a second.

15. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

I like Only A Northern Song finally being in stereo and find the mix okay. For the rest of the tracks, it just doesn't sound right to me and while it is a neat curiosity, I prefer original mixes.

16. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

You guys think the new "Love" CD will be any better? New mixes also...

17. Apologies for the thread crap, but it's interesting to note that the people involved in the re-release of the movie - from the link above - complain about previous releases (such as the laser disc) but yet their release of the DVD release crops the picture :shake: You can no longer, for example, see the Rolling Stones reference as it is cropped off the side of the image.

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Re: "Yellow Submarine Songtrack" - mix, EQ, NR, etc. differences vs. previous version

Whatever the case, it sounds wrong.

As far as Jamie's comment about the reverb, I don't like the YSS mix at all, but combining the A2 strings with the stereo mix vocals sounds really great, IMO.

19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

It depends how religious you are about the originals. I think it's a fun album collecting the bulk of the band's psychedelia, and the remixes are interesting and occassionally ear-opening. Some of the vocals are startlingly clear.

20. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

It'll most likely be LOUDER at least.

21. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I agree. The reverb on A2 actually works to enhance the drama of the arrangement if you add the vocals. Which begs the question, "how come we're able to stitch together better mixes than the folks currently at Abbey Road?"

Jason

Lewisboogie likes this.
  22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

And without help of the multitracks...

23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I like the way that Nowhere Man sounds on the Yellow Submarine Songtrack, but not as much as the mono (EP) version.

24. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

Erm, there never was an original stereo mix... merely something cobbled together in the 70s after the group broke up. The mono mix is the only definitive mix.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  25. LtPepper

LtPepper Forum Resident

I really like the new mix of Nowhere Man. I got to see Yellow Submarine in a theater for the re-release with surround sound and really loved it. Seeing it in a sold out theater was a great experience. The new stereo remix of Nowhere Man reminds me of seeing it in a theater. I don't think the new mixes should replace the originals, but as previously mentioned, it is a fun experiment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.