Yes "90125" CD Mastering Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Interlude65, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Interlude65

Interlude65 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi everybody. As you all know, there are a few other threads on this forum regarding discussion of various CD masterings of various Yes albums, but I have specifically decided to create a poll regarding the best-sounding CD mastering of their 90125 album. Please note that only one vote is allowed, and voters are not allowed to change their own votes, just for the sake of fairness and greater ease of reaching a consensus. Also, to prevent this poll from lollygagging about for several months or maybe even a year, I have set this poll to close in 3 months.

The only CD pressings of this album that I have are the original ATCO CD from 1984 (mastered by Joe Sidore at Atlantic Studios), and the 2004 Elektra/Rhino remaster (mastered by Dan Hersch and Bill Inglot at DigiPrep). Personally, I prefer the Rhino remaster over the original CD; in my opinion, the original CD has a thin, slightly metallic, and rather degraded sound to it, while the Rhino remaster has a clearer, fuller, and "meatier" sound, with more bass and less tizziness in the top-end. As always, differing opinions are accepted and considered by myself. Thanks very much! :)

2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I have the-
    2004 Rhino Remaster
    24/96 Hdtracks
    Japan for US 72.2/77.6/69.7/77.6/63.7/65.2/77.6/75.5/65.0
    Using City of Love as the test I chose the Japan, sounds the most 'natural' out of the bunch :)

princesskiki and DiabloG like this.
  3. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I don't have any version, but I'm looking for one. Thus really interested in the results. No love for the Audio Fidelity one, I see???

4. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Much love for the AF from me. I bought it just a few months ago and it is now my favourite mastering. Very natural sounding. The original ATCO sounds good too but the bass and upper frequencies are less defined. The Rhino is too compressed and trebly and the japanese HDCD is total crap.

5. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Here are my thoughts (which still stand today) on various 90125 CD masterings that I had conjured up last year:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  6. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I've always just had the Atco, and it's always sounded great. Hasn't left me wanting for anything more.

Fishoutofwater and no.nine like this.
  7. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Had the original on vinyl at one time. Found the Rhino remaster in the $5 bin at Walmart so I grabbed it. I thought it sounded great. In fact I need to get it out and play it.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  8. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I own the original West German CD and the Audio Fidelity CD, and to me, the original West German CD sounds the best on my system. The Audio Fidelity just seems too laid back for my taste.

esa, Simon A and dadonred like this.
  9. Interlude65

Looks like I forgot to include the 2009 Japan "Papersleeve" SHM-CD remaster. Oh well, can't change it now.... :(

10. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Both the original/target based mastering and the AF are nice. Not too much difference between them. A case of when done correctly results will be similar. Since I can't decide between them I will not vote.

FWIW the masters in 1984 were practically new, and in 2009 they were a quarter of century older. Although I'm sure someone here will argue that is not the case :)

I found YesYears to be numbed by Noise Reduction, the Japan HD to be squashed and awfully eq'd, the 2004 to be almost vile sounding. Never heard the 2013 SACD. Lastly the 2013 HDTracks is lackluster. At shops in my area the original mastering runs $1.99 so my though is no reason at this time to spend more for other Digital versions.

11. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

The ATCO CD wasn't made from the master tape but from an LP production master.

12. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

Original CD (West German Target).

13. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Steve on making the AF gold---

Hi, everyone, the Audio Fidelity Gold CD of "YES, B. H. 90210" is a full-bandwidth transfer from the 30 ips analogue master tape via Studer A-80-P straight to digital, bypassing the mastering console and outboard gear (such as EQ, etc.) and tone shaped right on the playback deck to the A/D converter.

We rejected the 15 ips 1/4 inch EQ DOLBY production master dub created from this tape at Masterdisk, NY by Bob Ludwig for obvious reasons, treble boost, etc.
    This is as pure as you can get. If you like the sound, thank the producer. If you don't like the sound blame the producer.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...rd-second-helping-and-yes-90125.196273/page-7
    ------
    I like it along with my original Japan for US cd. The AF actually seems a tiny bit brighter. But since the AF is not from the LP production master it does not have the fade in on "Our Song" like the original CD and LP (which is the best way to hear this, imo).

14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I have to be honest and say that the A.F. of "90125" and Linda Ronstadt's "Heart Like A Wheel" A.F., were two times where whatever Steve was saying was going to make them better in his hands, didn't really for me, in the end. For "90125", I will stick with my original W.G. Target and for Linda, I just proceed with Steve's classic "Greatest Hits" DCC Gold Discs, which are GREAT sounding and they have most of her great tracks, from that time period!

wayneklein likes this.
  15. Jack_Straw

Jack_Straw Forum Resident

I really don't understand how anyone could think that Rhino remaster sounds good. I love Inglot and Hersh, but that is one of the most shrill and obnoxious sounding masterings I've ever heard.

Max Florian likes this.
  16. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

I think the Rhino remaster sounds just fine...I have no issues with it. Could it be topped today...sure, if they do an even more modern remastering like what Genesis R-Kive received, but the Rhino isn't bad at all.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    Lewisboogie and DiabloG like this.
  17. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

I bought the original West German ATCO CD back in the mid-80's and that remains my favourite version.

The Rhino is OK but personally, I prefer the original. As another member stated, the Japanese 2009 SHM-CD paper sleeve re-issue isn't very good at all; shame. I also have the HD Tracks 24/96 version but I was very disappointed with that and removed it from my Pono to replace it with FLACs ripped from the ATCO CD; much better. I haven't heard the AF so cannot comment on that.

I realise that this thread is all about the CD but in terms of the vinyl release, I prefer my 1983 Japanese promo pressing (ATCO Records - P-11356) to my original UK 1984 LP. Reinforced even more by the fact that I have a nasty jump during 'Changes' on my UK vinyl!

I still love the album; it sounded amazing when it came out and still sounds fresh today.

John Bliss, dadonred and DiabloG like this.
  18. Interlude65

Oh well. Your opinion is your opinion, but let me tell you: if you though that remaster sounded shrill/obnoxious, wait 'till you hear the 1994 remasters of Led Zeppelin I and IV: now THAT'S harsh, shrill and obnoxious at best. It's like they just took all of the songs and added a whole load of 2 kHz to them, and, in turn, they all sound as if they're coming through a tin can. Ouch! :shake: :mad:

I have not heard the more recent 2014/2015 remasters of those albums, but my advice to you is that if you want to purchase either of those albums on CD, you're probably best off getting the original Atlantic CDs from the late '80s, even though they're not sourced from the original master tapes. But still, at least they have a nice warm, smooth and pleasant sound in comparison to the '94 remasters... :sigh:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  19. Amblue

Amblue Forum Resident

HD Tracks by a nose over AF for 90125.

20. Interlude65

And, I probably should've included that remaster instead of the 1991 YesYears remaster, since not all of the songs from the album were included on that box set.

21. I didn't care for the AF at all. I preferred the original mastering(even if Sidore used an analog copy to master it) and the remaster, while brighter, I didn't think was the horror everyone else seems to think it is.

One comes to expect a bright mastering from Inglot and Hersch so it didn't both me--I re EQ'd myself and pulled the brightness back.

I haven't heard the HD Tracks version or most of,the others on this list.

22. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

The compression on the Rhino remaster is a travesty; an inferior listen with such a lack of dynamics IMHO. Sadly I believe it's the only place to get at least some of the remixes/b-sides.

Love the original Atco and the AF.

dadonred and ricks like this.
  23. Unnecessary? Yes. A travesty? Well it ain't ideal but it does still have dynamics and isn't as bad as some I've heard. You are right though that it is the only place to get all of the single remixes (I don't think there's any exclusive b-sides on that one but there are in other titles in the boxed set). I thought it would be much worse based on what I'd heard about it but it's not. I actually prefer the original CD pressing but I can listen to both (I don't care for the AF)--it's dynamic for sure but the album IMHO needed a little bit of help).

DiabloG likes this.
  24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have the original Atco CD, the AF CD, and the Rhino CD. The AF has the most honest sound of the master tape with no hokery pokery, and the Atco CD comes close. The Rhino CD is bright (trebly), but it is what it is. I like all of them for different reasons.

If you (not necessarily you) don't like the AF, it means you don't like the mixdown master tape. Nothing wrong with that, though.

wayneklein likes this.
  25. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I only have the original release so can't compare with other versions - it sounds fine.

wayneklein likes this.