Yes - Close to the Edge 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson - October 2013

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DesertChaos, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Next year looks good too.

2. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

So I wonder how or what they are doing to get around the missing elements from the multis. Or did they manage to find those missing elements - namely the title track opening sound effects and a few overdubs. We'll find out soon enough but man does this freaking excite me. I really hope we get more 5.1 mixes done by Steven Wilson including a redo of Fragile. However I'm perfectly fine with the 5.1 mix for Magnification as is.

richy2times likes this.
  3. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident Thread Starter

Apparently Sid Smith posted a reply to a similar question over at Progressive Ears - "your well regarded authorities were wrong. All the mulitracks were there, intact and are the basis of this release."

4. Demolition Man

I hope that's true. It seemed more like the talk of elements missing seemed true given the recent use of the multis on Jammit has some overdubs missing. Now maybe when they prepared the stems they forgot to get those overdubs in but we'll see.

5. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, who knows for sure at this point tho Sid is pretty reliable in most cases. I'm guessing/hoping that when time permits Steven with chime in on one of the forums and talk about it a bit as he did with the ELP ones....he's pretty good that way but of course is awfully busy so who knows.

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Are you sure? He produced and mastered Opeth's Damnation.

7. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I'm pretty thrilled to get a Hoffmaned CTTE on SACD and a Wilsoned 5.1/stereo CTTE on DVD-A in the same year. The two Steves work in very different days so we'll get a very different creature in the DVD-A. I can't wait.

ben_wood and genesisfan like this.
  8. moops

moops Senior Member

One man's 'definitive' is the next man's 'for sale' in the forum classifieds.

Say It Right likes this.
  9. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

I think this is highly likely to happen...

dougb222 and genesisfan like this.
  10. Patrick Cleasby

I'd be surprised if the band have much to do with these decisions.

Ed Hughes likes this.
  11. ben_wood

ben_wood A traveler of both time and space

Lawdy, can you expound? :wave:

12. Patrick Cleasby

You think SW is likely to stop?! There is much still to come in the same (and other) veins!

ponkine likes this.
  13. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

There's a hell lot more chance to get a good sound (at last!) from the multitracks rather than the master tapes :wave:

And I'm pretty sure that Audio Fidelity will release a 2 SACD set. They know it would sell more than 'Tales From Topographic Oceans' 2 SACD
    Anyway, 'Relayer' will come first. No doubt

14. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

This isn't great news for me because it means that I'm going to have to buy, again, an album that I don't much care for. I wish SW would just get with the programme and check with me before taking on any of these projects!

richy2times likes this.
  15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Just in from SW's Facebook page:

16. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

I guess it depends on your definition of a "zillion," but this will be the sixth digital mastering/issue including the third this year if you count the HD Tracks version. It gets to a point with these albums that even if it's the best release ever, it's hard to get excited about if you've already purchased the others (at least for me). I'm sure for those that enjoy SW's remixes this is exciting news, but I'll have to wait and see what extras (if any) are included before I get too excited.

17. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I haven't had the chance to do a proper comparison but I think the latest vinyl release from Rhino might be a really good vinyl reissue.

18. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

DVD-A!? :bone: Ugh, what a waste.

19. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Blu-ray seems to be an option ... best to read carefully before you condemn something several months out.

20. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

But very expensive.

21. Demolition Man

Hey can we finally get the "Close To The Edge" demo that got yanked from the Rhino reissue finally released on this new edition? That's what I'm wondering well besides how truthful the status on the multis are.

22. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Yikes - I have been waiting to update my YES collection in audiophile format for years.... Now, there are 2 programs running in parallel (Audio Fid. and SW), it looks like!! More Yes by SW: bring it on!!

23. Demolition Man

Now only if we can get SW to remix "Talk" in 5.1...... :drool:

pantofis and ben_wood like this.
  24. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Not to mention a few Porkies albums.

25. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

What little I may know I can't say, but there are about 10 titles that have yet to be announced.

DrPhibes and ben_wood like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.