Yes - Close to the Edge 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson - October 2013

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DesertChaos, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Nothing wrong with any format if it's done right. Format is irrelevant; proper engineering gets results in all of them.

SACD isn't precious.

2. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I’ll be getting this, as I would get *any* iteration of this incredible album. The idea of hearing it in surround sound is staggering!!!

BTW -- the AF SACD is a must-own disc!!!

gd0 and ben_wood like this.
  3. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I'm trying to figure out whether this will be the 5th or 6th version of this album that I'll wind up owning. :confused:

4. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Wow just wow. I've never seen this before, ever.
    Someone on the Internet is unhappy!!??!!
    Gosh. :rolleyes:

5. dougb222

dougb222 Forum Resident

...starting with Tales of Mystery and Imagination and working forwards, please.

Demolition Man likes this.
  6. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I can't believe I just found out about this news. :goodie:

I own all of the King Crimson, Tull, and Caravan multi-channel discs. This is the one I was pushing for. And I already have Fragile, which SW said the mix was not impressive, but it is my fav lineup of the band in 5.1.

davenav and DesertChaos like this.
  7. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

Will be DVD-A... possibly Blu-Ray - definitely hi-rez

8. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident Thread Starter

Actually...turns out it's dvd-a *and* blu-ray...you take your pick!

Ain't life grand!

9. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident Thread Starter

And to think there is more to come...Yes, Tull, KC fans all should be thrilled (as I am) and just hope these are successful enough to encourage more, as seems to be happening.

10. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

It would, but Alan Parsons doesn't control his catalog from that period. When DTS Entertainment was licensing titles for DTS CDs in the 1990s, Alan Parsons was very supportive and allowed what he had control over. As for the APP titles, Arista said no.

11. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

I'm excited by this but I'm betting the original mix won't be as good as Steve's SACD mastering. It will be nice to hear the remixes and whatever bonus stuff that will be included though.

To think I started a thread a couple years ago stating how little hi Rez stuff was out there of Yes catalog and how deserving and awesome it would be. So far my wishes have been answered and looks like there will be more to come.

I recall Steve Wilson stating he also loved Tales I hope it's one of the planned reissues. I also vote for The Yes Album, a better version of Fragile and Relayer. Can't forget Going For The One as well.
    He's a busy man with all this stuff so we probably shouldn't get our hopes up too much!!!

12. Steven Wilson now has a working relationship with Alan Parsons, so one should never say never.

13. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

I'd love to hear a remixed version of Tales done by Steven Wilson. The 1987 remix did have some good things added to it but the gated reverb drums really ruined all the good from that mix. I did do my own "mix" where I did manage to integrate the Orson Welles dialog used in the 1987 remix into the original mix. Sounds fantastic to my ears. :)

dougb222 likes this.
  14. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

There was a 1987 remix?

15. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I've been burnt out on Tales of Mystery & Imagination for years: I just listened to it so much. I doubt that even SW could bring back my affection for it (although of course I'd buy it). I think that he could do an even better job with I Robot and Pyramids: there's a lot in those albums that a remix could unlock. Still, maybe best not to infest this thread with the many other reasonable claims to SW's attention: he can't be everywhere at once and it's difficult to argue with the Yes catalogue as a priority.

16. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

Steven Wilson never does remastering. He remixes from the original multitracks usually both in stereo and 5.1 He pledges to be faithful to the original stereo mix, even when he does a 5.1 mix, he follows the original stereo mix in that he does not indulge in eccessive movements, whirls and such between channels. He never fails to impress me with his mixes.
    He works with the digitized high rez PCM files so the new CTTE release will probably be dvd-a

17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

"Tales of Mystery and Imagination" not "Tales From Topographic Oceans."

18. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Yes, somebody else already corrected me. I wrongfully assumed that he would remaster the original stereo-mix. So far I only own one Wilson remix ("Red") but I will probably buy all Yes-remixes.

19. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

How I wish that the word Genesis was stuck somewhere in your post...it's a shame what happened...Oh well.

20. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

...sigh...actually not the remixes, to me they're interesting. But omG, what an earbleeding mastering...
    Would like to hear at least "Trick of the tail" in a new mix by Steven Wilson.

Bill Mac and Ed Hughes like this.
  21. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

My favorite Genisis album.
    :)

anduandi likes this.
  22. moops

moops Senior Member

I'd be happy if they're released in the same configuration as the Crimson catalog has been, those packages are wonderful.

23. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Guess which is mine;-)

24. popmat

popmat Forum Resident

such hyperbole and lack of respect....

25. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

This is my favorite album, and I can't imagine this new version sounding better than Steve's SACD, but if the bonus material is worthwhile I would pick it up for that. I don't have a 5.1 setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.