Yes "CLOSE TO THE EDGE" and Rush "COUNTERPARTS" on SACD from Audio Fidelity!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by leefarber, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Hey, folks! I am a bit late to the party. I received the album several weeks ago, but never got the time to listen to it attentively without anything troubling me. SO! It is numbered: 4247.

I listened to it on the following gear: Mackie HR824, Marantz CD 5003, and a Marantz PM 5003. The listening session was in a room unsuited actually fur listening purposes, since there is no isolation material on the walls (those pyramidic covers, if you know what I mean) and there are lots of objects, which create parasytic noise. Oh well, in any case. I did a blind session: I compared between 1994 Gastwirt, 2003 Rhino, a Russian pirate version from God knows which sourse that was purchased very long ago and of course our host's version. I compared the Redbook layer since CD 5003 isn't able to read SACDs naturally.

My results (subjective as they are):

-the pirate disc stood out immediately. It was clearly sourced from a crappy source. Immediate ear sore.
    -Gastwird - not bad, rather mild but not as much detalization as I would have wanted
    -Rhino - very good detalization, everything is heard crystally clear, but this made the sound clinical, like a sterilized instrument and the bass turned out to be somewhat synthetic. But I liked it better than Gastwirt, because you can hear so many hidden things in there.
    -Hoffman... it was my first experience of listening to an audiophile release, but the impression was nonetheless very positive. To my ears - it is the best of both worlds: it takes the best qualities from Gastwirt and Rhino, combining perfect detalization and yet retaining warmth and cohesiveness of the recording. You can trace any part and any instrument if you wish but at the same time, everything plays as a whole, as if the band is on the stage in front of me, and this is not an easy thing to achieve granted how the album was recorded and constructed from little bits and pieces. So, yes - Hoffman is the winner of the blind audition. I didn't hear many revelations granted I've listened to the record many times before with very good headphones, but its supremacy is still undeniable. You get both details and warmth. Everything sounds not forced and natural.

Say It Right and bluesbro like this.
  2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Took longer than expected to arrive but: copy #3053 is finally here; even on my humble set up (Onkyo C-S5VL SACD, NAD 3020 amp, Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO headphones) this sounds great.OK; I'll be honest: I listened to Siberian Khatru only (well..5 times in a row):laugh: because is my fave track on the album but I plan to listen to the rest tonight. No reason to think I won't enjoy the title track and "And you and I"... so far, good vibes.

Thank you Mr. Hoffman:thumbsup:

imarcq likes this.
  3. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Well mine arrived a few weeks ago #3477 so you beat me anyway! Enjoy it Marcel :)

PH416156 likes this.
  4. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

#3477? We ordered the SACD around the same time, IIRC. Oh, the number is not important, really. As long as I receive a great sounding disc, I'm happy. Now, I'm looking forward to "Going fo the one":D

imarcq likes this.
  5. I just received the ultra-rare unnumbered, "numbered limited edition" of : "Close To The Edge"

Opening it would destroy the value.......Oh! What to do!! Open? Not open? Life is full of these stubbornly hard decisions, I am numb.:D

;)

Yum, glad I opened it. Job well done Mr. Hoffman!!

full moon likes this.
  6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

7. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

theron d likes this.
  8. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Listening to the Audio Fidelity CTTE . Excellent sounding redbook layer. Clear and detailed, full sounding, punchy. I have the Diament version which is very nice but its not as good as the AF version IMHO. The AF version seems to have the veil lifted off it (just a tad).

9. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I have the same one :D

11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

ponkine likes this.
  12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

13. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

My Close To The Edge finally arrived from Amazon.........without the number.:waiting:

14. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Amazon UK?

15. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

That was one heckuva long shipping time! ;)

16. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Yes Marcel.:cry:

17. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

You wouldn't believe it. :D
    Anyway the original CD is still fine.

rburly likes this.
  18. imarcq

It took them so long to post it to you that they run out of stickers lol. :) With some ingenuity and an inkjet printer you can make your own! Nobody will ever know or check... :shh:

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

:hide:

20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, that's the ticket, ultra-rare, yeah.

21. ben_wood

ben_wood A traveler of both time and space

Slightly off subject, but I got both CttE and GftO from Amazon and both were numbered.

22. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

ah sorry about that. But I'm sure the terrific sound of the AF edition will be a consolation

carrolls likes this.
  23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

24. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

25. imarcq

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.