Yes - Close To The Edge on wax

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Moulty, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I've heard good things about the Bellman, but have not heard it. What do I need to look for? European?

2. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Think I put in European Rhino on discogs and found a sealed new copy. This was a few years ago though. You can also try eBay. It's only a few years old, you can probably still find a new one.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  3. bodicus

bodicus Forum Resident

I`ve several copies of varying age/condition incl. the Friday Music one. The EU Bellman trounces them all imo (never heard the mofi dho). Cheap as chips and readily available in Ireland so should be handy to source one. Retail was €15.99 which initially put me off as it could be any old piece of junk, but no, Bellman cut and top pressing. No distortion when the big organ kicks in either so win/win for me.

4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I found a new sealed one for under $20 with free shipping on E-Bay. Thank you good Sir.

bodicus and SirMarc like this.
  5. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Let me know what you think. For me, it turned an album I love, but always thought sounded like crap, to a kick ass, powerful and nice sounding album. You'll know as soon as the music kicks in...

bodicus and Dr. Funk like this.
  6. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

1841 Broadway A/A cut sounds the closest to the source, but man if you don't have some tubes to mellow it out you'll need to dial down the treble a fair bit.

7. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

My favorite is the UK A1/B1 but they're tough to get clean. It has IMO the best overall balance and tone as well as presence. There's a number of mid 70's US that also sound good and are a heck of a lot cheaper. They're bumped up a bit in volume and have a little EQ but it works.

Acoustic Warrior likes this.
  8. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Did you get it yet? If so, what do you think?

Dr. Funk likes this.
  9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Funny you asked, long story short, my copy is stuck in Grand Praire Texas (according to the tracking number), and can't be found. I just received a refund, so I'm planning on repurchasing after Christmas. I will let you know hopefully soon. Thanks for asking.

Dertriumphdestodes and SirMarc like this.
  10. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Damn man, that sucks. Good luck on the next one!

11. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Just came in the mail from the UK. Hands down, the best sounding vinyl pressing of Close To The Edge I've owned or heard. I was able to compare it with two other pressings, and I plan to do more this weekend. I paid less than $20 with free shipping, and the vinyl looks flawess and perfectly flat. The only issue was the inner had some seem splits from the vinyl moving around, probably coming across the Atlantic Ocean. Don't really care because it sure doesn't affect the sound. Thanks for the tip and the help SirMarc. This sure looks like it will be my favorite Edge vinyl pressing.

SirMarc likes this.
  12. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Nice! Glad you're enjoying it.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  13. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Yes Sir. I Wasn't able to really crank it, because my son was doing homework, but it easily beat my Friday and Broadway pressings. It sounds really nice with my set of headphones, and on my system. I'm interested to see how it handles the organ when pushed a little. If we we ever cross paths the drinks on on me.
    :cheers:

SirMarc likes this.
  14. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Oh man, wait till you crank it! Was it like I said, you could tell from the first notes? I surely could...

15. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

I'm big on vinyl but the SACD of this is beyond great. I've never bothered looming for it on vinyl. I know it can't go much beyond the sacd if it does

16. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

I trust your tastes, as we seem to have similar preferences, but could you describe what exactly is so great about the Rhino pressing I won’t find in another pressing?

17. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

The best way to put it would be, its the only pressing I've heard that actually sounds good. I've got numerous 70's pressings and the Friday Music one and they all hurt my ears when I cranked it. The church organ is a good test of this. Its clean and detailed and has good bottom end, which most of the others lacked.

It was cut by Chris Bellman from the master tapes with an all analog chain. Two thumbs up from me. Care to chime in @Dr. Funk?

18. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

I agree, and I'm not always a huge fan of Bellman's mastering style. Everything is crisp, clear, and palpable, but with very little of the stridency most other vinyl masterings seem to have. It's hard for me to imagine it sounding better.

SirMarc likes this.
  19. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Yeah man, I was ready to give up and just listen to the Steven Wilson remix in 24/96 until I heard of this pressing ...

NorthNY Mark likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.