Yes - Close To The Edge UK Vinyl Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Runt, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runt

Runt Senior Member Thread Starter

Has anyone picked this up yet? Was it mastered by Kevin Gray?

2. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Tell us more. What reissue are you referring to? Can you post a link to a description?

Thanks!

3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

4. Runt

5. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Believe it or not I saw it at a local music store where I use to buy CDs :p

I didn't buy it because I found that the artwork print wasn't very good. Individual member photographs looked blurry and the colour wasn't right

In comparision, the photos in this obviously used LP look much better
    [​IMG]

6. Blue Collar Man

Blue Collar Man Active Member

How do the photos sound? :confused:

AidanB, Tommyboy, drivingfrog and 2 others like this.
  7. dint10

dint10 Forum Resident

This is not available in US? That's surprising.

It's a Rhino reissue - I have seen it in a few places in UK.

I, too, have been a little put off by the reproduction of the sleeve. I bought the Rhino expanded YES CDs a few years back and the sharpness of the photos [on CTTE in particular] was outstanding.

That said, it's no worse than the Friday Music reissue from a cple of years back. I will probably pick it up - all the other recent Rhino reissues I have bought have been really great.

8. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

I ordered it and was sent the Friday Music reissue. Quite annoying.

Tommyboy likes this.
  9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Where did you order it from....Amazon?

10. Runt

Are the Rhino vinyl reissues basically their remastered CDs put to vinyl?

11. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

You need ask amazon sellers if this is 180g 2012 reissue otherwise you will likely receive Friday Music version not the Rhino Chris Bellman mastered version

12. Scott Wheeler

I shouldn't have to ask when it is advertised as the *Rhino* reissue.

Wuther likes this.
  13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

No . . . they're usually remastered specifically for vinyl. Different masterings.

Runt likes this.
  14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Let us know if you get one and what you think.

15. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

:p

I barely play LPs. The ones I have are mostly for collector thing. So, I wouldn't pay a lot of money (because it was expensive) for an item with a so-so print quality, especially considering that the artwork was such an important part of Yes albums

16. Runt

How do the other Rhino Yes vinyl reissues sound? Preferably, Tales and Relayer?

17. Scott Wheeler

Rhino never reissued tales or Relayer on vinyl. The only other title the did on Vinyl was The Yes Album and it sucked. but that was a long time ago.

18. Runt

Thanks. I must be thinking of Friday Music. Anyone have those?

19. Lord_Gastwick

Lord_Gastwick Forum Resident

I have the Friday Tales, CTtE, and Relayer. All are very good indeed, imo. In fact, the Relayer is such an improvement over the CD versions — and I've heard about three different ones — that it's completely changed my relationship with the album. I tried to get a thread going on the Friday Tales from Topographic Oceans, but was unsuccessful — a pity, because I think it's one of the best vinyl reissues out there.

Runt likes this.
  20. Scott Wheeler

I have them but have not had the chance to do a comparison between them and my current favorite versions. My system is in storage while I wait for the new house to close escrow.

With that said, my other comparisons with The Friday Music Close to the Edge was not very favorable. My personal favorite the first mastering by George Piros U.S. pressing was still quite superior. The Friday Music version was also bettered by my MoFi and my later U.K. pressings.

My current favorites for Relayer and Tales are the Porky cut U.K. and the original U.K. A1,B1,C1, D1

Runt likes this.
  21. dint10

dint10 Forum Resident

There is another thread on the Friday music CTtE here: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/yes-close-to-the-edge-friday-music-vinyl-in-november.162437/

I have Friday Music's CTtE, Relayer, and Drama. I like them all [they are all good clean, perfectly flat and quiet pressings].

The CTtE I could not honestly say I am knocked out with the mastering. I had an old [poor condition] UK pressing and I thought that sounded just as good. That's gone now though.

I like the Relayer and the Drama too but have nothing to compare them against.

Interesting, [Lord_Gastwick], your comments regarding Tales. I have been tempted a cple of times on this one but the price is quite prohibitive here in UK. Plus, I was incredibly lucky and picked up a mint copy [I mean perfect!] for pennies in a charity shop.

The SACD version of CTtE on the way from Audio Fidelity looks great, how I wish they would release it on vinyl too!

I also noticed earlier today that Friday Music are set to re-release Tormato quite soon as well.

http://www.diversevinyl.com/item.php?id=a1fdb9031bb0e1d91d20b365128ae08e

Runt likes this.
  22. Lord_Gastwick

Lord_Gastwick Forum Resident

Dint10, my old (UK) vinyl Tales sounds great, too. The Friday reissue has a bit more presence, imo. But I'm keeping my old one.

dint10 likes this.
  23. Runt

I have a minty early U.S. Atlantic pressing of Tales that sounds very good. Much more bottom end than any CD I've heard. Plus a minty banded WLP copy that I haven't listened to yet.

24. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Not a fair comment at all. When Mobile Fidelity did Jethro Tull's "War Child" with a low res and truncated reproduction of the original cover, I was very, very upset. I suspect all their art department was on holidays and an executive decided to do his own version of the album cover - it was that bad. Yes, the sound was great - but that isn't the whole experience of buying an album. Yes, CD booklets are much smaller than albums, but that doesn't negate a legitimate thirst for an appreciation of quality reproductions of fine art in miniature. Let's look with favour at our differences. Peace for 2013 in SHF and the world.

Dazz likes this.
  25. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

I just posted this in another thread:

Well my copy arrived a day early, just as I was cleaning a batch of records. I have only just had a chance to sit down and listen. I'm no expert at this, but here's my observations:

1. Nice, wide soundstage
    2. Clear and detailed with good bass
    3. Some sibilance on side A in places, but none on side B
    4. Overall, a very nice sounding version
    5. One issue I have is with the sticker claiming "Replicated to the finest detail". I would believe this if the cover was textured!

Now, I did some comparisons to my AT/GP mid-70's US pressing (I also have a Japanese first press which is not as good as the AT/GP - a tad too bright and the fade in at the start is truncated). The AT/GP has better bass. This is especially obvious on "And You And I".

If my AT/GP copy didn't have such annoying IGD, I would declare it the winner in this small shootout, but it does, so the new Rhino pressing wins by default. Not a glowing review, but if you want a nice clean copy, go for it. I haven't compared to the Barry Diament CD yet.​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.