YES "Fly From Here" with re-recorded vocals in 2017?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zardozislove

zardozislove Senior Member

2. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

3. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

RangerXT and oneway23 like this.
  4. sound chaser

Dang! just found this on my order page:

[​IMG]

RangerXT, JediJoker and oneway23 like this.
  5. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Lownote30 likes this.
  6. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

"Remember what has been achieved!"

7. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I’m trying not to.

oneway23 likes this.
  8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The added section is actually really cool.

Now the 'new' track with Howe on lead vocals? Nobody wants that.

RangerXT, Aggie87, JediJoker and 2 others like this.
  9. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The added parts have nothing to do with the body of the song. It's a full-band instrumental performance with a different melody, bookending the acoustic/vocal middle bit.

10. walrus

Yeah. I really like it. It's...awkward, but I like the added sections quite a bit.

11. Sorry, but is Trevor honestly suggesting that Benoît had problems getting his tongue around English nuances, resulting in the sessions being dragged out long after Chris Squire and Alan White had laid down their parts? How come we haven't heard this specific excuse before, and why did he sound absolutely fine in a live setting, or at least until his health problems started manifesting? Also, wasn't he sticking closely to the initial guide vocals recorded by Trevor? As early as the eventual title track's demo from early 1980, Trevor was pronouncing "altimeter" the exact same way, so he can't use that against Benoît! Furthermore, let's not forget how 90125 and Big Generator - both albums created with Trevor on board at some point - had their instrumental tracks completed early into the overall process, only to then run on for additional months as a result of different factors, suggesting this isn't atypical of how Yes has always functioned in the studio. Just like the recently modified group shot and the current absence of Fly From Here on various services (which I accept may be partly because of Frontiers losing distribution rights), I'm becoming all the more convinced that someone in the Yes camp is trying to deliberately and slowly erase Benoît from the group's history, similar to how it's claimed Billy Sherwood is tiring of Steve Howe's reluctance to create new material and is now looking to join ARW. Maybe it was really a case of Trevor not wanting to be seen as fully reuniting the Drama era line-up back in 2011 because he didn't want the tour commitments that would surely follow, especially after what happened over the course of 1980? Oh, and I'm genuinely surprised nobody has yet tried making Jon Davison the scapegoat for everything wrong with Heaven & Earth, not to mention it must be equally frustrating for Oliver Wakeman to have Geoff Downes replace his few keyboard contributions! In spite of all this, I genuinely can't wait for the Return Trip edition, even if one of the big draws to revisit this material is the prospect of getting to hear a previously unreleased outtake sung by Steve Howe...

tedhead, RangerXT, warewolf95 and 3 others like this.
  12. And that is something new for Yes? :laugh:

I quite like it. I also hear no reason to replace Benoit David’s vocals. He sounds great, IMHO.

13. I don’t think it awkward at all. It’s just . . . typical Yes!

PhoffiFozz and RangerXT like this.
  14. sound chaser

I agree, it's the overall remix that has me interested. The review makes it sound delicious :).

RangerXT, Billy Budapest and PDK like this.
  15. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Me too. I actually enjoy the vocals on the original, but always felt that the drums could sound thicker.

RangerXT likes this.
  16. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

has anyone been able to actually download this off Pledge Music yet?

RangerXT likes this.
  17. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Trust me you don't want Howe to sing and I think that was a huge mistake. Howe has a terrible voice. He's fine with harmonies but not as a lead singer.

Bemsha, RangerXT, ShardEnder and 4 others like this.
  18. walrus

Sort of. That section just feels kind of shoehorned onto the song, rather than being an organic extension of it. Probably should've been developed into its own thing.

RangerXT and altaeria like this.
  19. sound chaser

No, I keep checking but the date as screenshot in my previous post has passed. The convention is tomorrow I believe, so I would guess the day after?

jupiter8, RangerXT and JediJoker like this.
  20. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Billy wants to join ARW? :D

RangerXT likes this.
  21. I get it. Kind of like “The Calling (Special Edition)” that reinserted the excised middle instrumental part.

RangerXT, altaeria and walrus like this.
  22. Union II in the making . . .

RangerXT likes this.
  23. WARS

izgoblin and RangerXT like this.
  24. :biglaugh:

RangerXT likes this.
  25. I've just read that in addition to being heavily involved with the "Return Trip" project, Trevor Horn also recently added vocals to the original Drama-era instrumental studio version of (Have We Really Got To) Go Through This, which is supposedly due to feature on a planned 50th anniversary Yes compilation later this year. If only they could also dust off Telephone Secrets from around the same period as a further tribute to the incredible bass playing of Chris Squire, who sadly won't be around - in body, at least - to witness the group reaching such a fantastic milestone...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.