YES "Fly From Here" with re-recorded vocals in 2017?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

With Jon on the stage before he even goes to the mic to sing you just feel his presence. It's hard for me to put it in words but it's something very special. With the other singers that have been in YES after 2004 I get no excitement at all. I know others disagree and everyone is entitled to their opinion but for me without Jon Anderson it's just not YES.

2. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I’m not understanding your logic. At the time that FFH was released and recorded, Benoit David was their lead singer on stage and in the studio. That’s established. That’s fact. If TH felt so entitled to those songs it certainly didn’t seem like an issue at the time.

3. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Just to mix it up....it's not Yes without Steve Howe..... hahahahah

gja586, 24voltsdc and Meng like this.
  4. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I suspect if TH had been willing to tour, he may have become the singer again. I suspect it's because he didn't want to tour as the singer of Yes that they used BD on the recording instead, so the voice would be the same on the tour and the album. I think TH was certainly on board with that decision.

TH was definitely the mastermind behind this album.

24voltsdc, walrus and marblesmike like this.
  5. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

You can speculate all that you’d like. The fact is that BD was their lead singer for two years prior to the recording of FFH. I don’t buy any of the revisionist theories.

altaeria likes this.
  6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah. There was no way Horn was going back on the road as part of Yes. I love Drama (and FFH), but he could barely sing the older songs in 1980, let alone 30+ years later. I get why things happened the way they did with the album at the time, and I'm also glad they went back and made the album closer to what it probably should've been in the first place, the long-delayed follow-up to Drama.

7. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Horn even recorded guide vocals for BD to study before he sang it himself, so it would sound exactly the way that Horn sang it.

Also, have you actually listened to the original 1981 Fly From Here material that Horn created and sang on? It's available on the Buggles' "Adventures in Modern Recording" reissue. It's quite clearly Trevor Horn's baby.

Purple, Reese and marblesmike like this.
  8. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Yes, I am aware of the history of the song. My point is that this rerelease expounds on the fact that Yes treats their former members like trash. The original release was fine as is.

PDK and Pete Puma like this.
  9. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Eh.

10. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

You laugh, but that is my feeling. The "real" Yes requires Jon, Chris and Steve. This feeling is based not just on the albums, but even more-so on my live experiences with the different incarnations. I've never been to a Yesshow that wasn't magical (and I've seen every incarnation from GftO to 35th Anniv. tour), but the most magical ones had all three of those.

Jeremy Holiday and Blue Note like this.
  11. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Great, we get it. You don't have to buy the new release.

Ah, and your agenda is made clear. This explains why you're ignoring things like the history of the song (including who wrote it in the first place), who originally provided the guide vocals, and the plainly obvious reasons why TH didn't record the original lead vocals on the original release.

Also, I don't know why you're wasting your time arguing about this album. It doesn't seem like you'd ever really like any YES release without JA, which is completely understandable.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  12. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Yeah I laugh. It's just a joke for christsakes. Enjoy whatever lineup you like. I will enjoy whatever lineup I like.

13. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

And at the end of the day, whatever line-up you will see live will play Roundabout and others classics songs from their 1971 to 1974 repertoire.

I think that Yes has been a live affair since the mid 80s. Point been that not much really exciting studio releases happened after Drama (Magnification been an exception). I like what they did with Trevor Horn and was lucky enough to see the Drama tour in the round first row back in the days.
    Whoever is singing in this band will always starts with 2 strikes as Jon Anderson was a very inspired singer and a contributor to this band for many years.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    marblesmike and Roberto899 like this.
  14. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Duh. I was merely pointing out that what you find funny is the truth for me. I made no judgments on either perspective.

15. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Please, for the freedom of life everlasting, make it stop.

24voltsdc likes this.
  16. No Peter Banks, no Yes.

adriatikfan likes this.
  17. I don’t think they are an embarrassment, but right now Anderson Rabin Wakeman has as much and probably more right to the Yes name than Howe’s group. I mean, Howe’s team could tour as Asia if they wanted to and they would have a legitimate right to use that name. In any event, seeing either group would be enjoyable to me. Maybe Billy Sherwood could coax the two halves back together again . . .

18. Actually, listen to the original 1979 Yes demo.

I333I likes this.
  19. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

As I’ve said, the original FFH was completely satisfying. Better than anything they’ve done since Drama.

20. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Seen both versions of Yes now several times. And my request for both line-ups is simple: Please stop.

It's over. Neither version sounds quite right.

Roberto899 likes this.
  21. Please.....your killing me.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Roberto899, I333I and Rufus rag like this.
  22. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

I received the email also. But, I would rather them get it right than release an inferior product. Still sucks though.

23. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Only through Pledge.

24. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

I like both versions. Benoit did a great job.

25. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

I love both versions. I love ALL Yes.

Good to see the usual boring arguments about what does, and does not, constitute "Yes", though... It's like 1980 all over again (yawn).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.