YES "Fly From Here" with re-recorded vocals in 2017?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

The original FFH was fine. They didn't re-release it with Horn's vocals because it wasn't "satisfying". It was done because it was Horn's baby, and after Squire passed they decided they would make it the real followup to Drama, lineup wise.

Better than anything they’ve done since Drama.[/QUOTE]

I don't know that I agree with that, but that's a subjective opinion. I like 90125 & Magnification better. FFH is on par with The Ladder and Talk and the Keys Studio material for me, at a slightly lower level.

Pete Puma likes this.
  2. Or 1988-1991.

Thoughtships likes this.
  3. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I picked up the live album from the tour and enjoyed it as well. Better than I ever expected after a listen on Spotify so I picked up the vinyl version.
    The last tour I saw was with Squire, I thought it was good. Definitely not their best live show but little did I know Chris would never tour again. I know it's a mess but glad to see some form of Yes (or rather 2) still making music. Keeping the flame alive, wonderful.

24voltsdc likes this.
  4. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Finally listened to Return Trip. Some things I like better than the original, some not. I think Benoit Davis's vocals were fine. I like the way they shortened some of the longer songs, but I don't like the new ending of FFH Pt I. I think HON did not need to be doubled in length!! Pure bombast and absolutely unnecessary. It was fine as is it was and the best song on the album. And Steve Howe's new song? Could have left that off. Just takes up space and does not fit. At least they left BD vocals in TMYAWMTB. I also think the harmony vocals on the original mostly sound better than RT. Overall, I don't think this "re-imagining", or whatever you want to call it, was necessary. The original holds up very well to RT, IMHO of course, but glad I got both.

5. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I might do the same thing.

RangerXT likes this.
  6. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Agreed.

7. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I wonder if the re-worked segues were intended to make the songs more shuffle-friendly. I haven't listened specifically to the transitions to check this out.

I'm not crazy about the Part 1 ending either; I've contemplated making an edit with Part 1 and the finale of the reprise, to restore the structure to something closer to the live version from 1980 on The Word Is Live.

8. Ken.e.

I so agree, he can be difficult to listen to. Mind you he sounds better here compared to his early solo records where it is painful. I bought a used copy of the first two and listed to them once. Great guitar player just not a great vocalist.

Lownote30 likes this.
  9. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Does anyone know where I can find either the original or Trevor Horn versions of this album for less than $20? Discogs, eBay, and Amazon don't have any copies in my price range right now. This is the only Yes album I don't have and I've been meaning to buy it for a while.

10. Ken.e.

There are production issues with the vinyl so the vinyl has yet to be released. I assume that's the version you are referring to.

11. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

I might have a copy in my sell pile back in TX. I tried to sell my first copy after getting an autographed one, but Waterloo in Austin wouldn't take it, those weirdos.

If I still have it I'll send a PM.

12. DiabloG

Actually, I was referring the CD. I'm not interested in a vinyl copy unless the CDs are massively brickwalled.

13. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

The original CD mastering is typically hot for the era but I don't have the stats to analyze if it's fully bricked.

I can say that it's absolutely listenable from start to finish without fatiguing my rather sensitive ears.

That said, original LPs are nearly impossible to find for a reasonable ransom so the CD is probably the way to go.

For what it's worth, after living with both the original and the remake, I think the remake sounds more like 'Yes' than the original. Benoit did a serviceable job, but he's not as connected to the music as Trevor is, especially on the title suite- which is the centerpiece of the album anyway.

My only rationale for keeping a copy of the original is just being a Yes completist.

Blue Note, DiabloG and Reese like this.
  14. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I bought my CD on eBay. $36. I know, too much!!!

15. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I think the original is a DR7 or DR8.

16. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

I've got 7 for the original and 8 for Return Trip.

Purple likes this.
  17. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

Burning Shed is now accepting preorders for the CD of Fly From Here - Return Trip. No mention of LPs (yet). July 6 shipping date.
    Fly From Here - Return Trip

Blimpboy and RangerXT like this.
  18. What’s the difference between this and the earlier release of Return Trip? Just wonder distribution on a label, I guess?

19. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

It's the first Yes album I've bought in 25 years. I think the extension to "Hour of Need" was a good artistic (strategic) choice: on the original LP "Hour of Need" segued into "Solitaire," which amounted to an extensive (almost 7 minute) sparse, acoustic departure from the rock n roll vibe and feel of the rest of the album. By book ending the song with a full electric accompaniment the acoustic departure doesn't sound nearly as jarring. I also happen to like the added parts and the song has a better mix; the original LP almost sounds subdued by comparison.

Blue Note likes this.
  20. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

By reading this thread, I found out that the extended HON was actually chopped off on the original. Gonna have to re-listen.

21. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Austraaaliaaaa:laugh:

imarcq and Ken.e. like this.
  22. MOB_HRV

MOB_HRV Forum Resident

You probably don't know that Hour Of Need was actually shortened for the 2011 album, because the full length version was available as a bonus track on the Japanese edition from 2011.

I agree with you that the full length version with this "bad-Asia" intro and outro is unnecessary and the short version works better.

In this Return trip, the Horn songs are sliightly better than the original versions. For the rest, well, no big change and the added parts (and added song) are really boring.

23. DiabloG

I'm seeing the Davison version of Yes next month. To anyone who's seen them in recent years, do they usually have any albums in the merch booth? If so, I'm hoping that I can snag Fly from Here.

24. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Just got email from Pledge informing me that the Vinyl LP has now shipped! :)

24voltsdc and RangerXT like this.
  25. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

It's arrived today! Haven't opened it yet BUT the sleeve doesn't feel very "Heavyweight Gatefold Vinyl". The vinyl probably is the usual 180G BUT the cover almost feels a bit flimsy done on the cheap. Its been shipped in a decent mailer. Hopefully the sound and pressing will be good...

dvcarrick and RangerXT like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.