YES "Fly From Here" with re-recorded vocals in 2017?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

I would buy Fly From Here with re-recorded Trevor Horn vocals. Wasn't there also talk about a new Buggles rarities album at some point? I'd buy that too. If you aren't interested in newer/older Yes material, that's fine. No is forcing anyone to buy it.

2. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I saw the Drama Tour in '80 and they did a shortened version of Fly From Here as well as another "new" track, Go Through This. I remember I loved Fly From Here and was pissed that it wasn't on Drama, considering how short the LP was. I had no idea it would take 30+ years to hear that track again. I own FFH and would repurchase a Trevor Horn rerecording.

davers and PhoffiFozz like this.
  3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Both songs of course appeared on "The Word is Live," so you only had to wait 25 years.

4. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

They should issue Deluxe of Drama [Are you listening Steven Wilson?] and include the unreleased version of Chris Squire doing lead vocals on Into The Lens!

5. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

Say what??? I want this NOW!

Rooster_Ties and Rufus rag like this.
  6. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Of course I'm thinking as others are, why didn't Horn just do the vocals to begin with if he was willing to do so? I'd be shocked if the band preferred to have Benoit David on the album if Horn was willing.

I gotta figure this is a way to snub Benoit David or just a lame attempt at getting the album to sell a second time.

As much as I'd be a little curious to hear the two versions and compare, there's no way I'm buying this album again. It's just an ok album as is. I don't need two copies no matter what they change about it.

Shak Cohen and SonicBob like this.
  7. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

It's been leaked for a while now, You Tube's your friend!

8. Somebody got a link? (Several searches on YouTube, and I can't seem to find it.)

9. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

This is really pathetic. The so called YES that is together seems to be desperate and will do anything regardless of how insane it is. I would be curious to hear Trevor's vocals but why wasn't this done in the first place? I certainly would not buy the CD and I don't think more then 1000 people worldwide would pay for this. If they do a digital free release that's great but trying to sell this CD is insane. Next they will go back to Fragile and have Jon Davison re-record Anderson's parts!

Futurecity likes this.
  10. Isn't that pretty much what the last couple of live "full album" project were? Not sure how this is much different. I'm fairly interested. I really, really liked the Fly From Here album, and it would be neat to have a "DRAMA 2" for the anoraks among us.

uzn007 likes this.
  11. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Well I liked the Fly From Here suite but didn't care for the rest of the album. As far as the current line up performing and releasing live DVD's of the album tours they did I can't really understand why anyone would want them. I don't want to hear and watch Jon Davison sing all the songs that Anderson sang on. With the Trevor Horn thing that is different since that is legit and I loved Drama. Still while it's kind of cool I must say it's really strange. So will Trevor sing all the songs on the album or just the Fly From Here suite. I can't see how they would sell this as the whole concept is strange and hard to sell to the masses. Still why didn't Trevor offer to sing on the album originally. That would have been great.

12. zen

zen Senior Member

At the time of producing FFH, Horn's wife was still in a coma (since 2009). That may have played a part in him not singing lead vocals. In 2012, she passed away (from cancer), so maybe he wants to start living again and this might be on his bucket list.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    uzn007, izgoblin, Aggie87 and 2 others like this.
  13. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I understand that "Fragile" is one of their landmark albums, but half of the songs are solo showcases and three of those soloists were no longer in the band when they did the full album tour. "Five Percent for Nothing" sounded like a train wreck. It occurred to me that the last Yes release while Squire was alive was the "Progeny" box set of 1972 performances; the first release after his death was the live album from Mesa, with "Close to the Edge" and "Fragile" in their entireties - and thus many of the same songs also heard on "Progeny." The comparison was jarring. I have nothing against the current band, and if Anderson's health doesn't permit the non-stop touring that the rest of the band wants to do, then they have to get someone else; but it's not the same band.

Tristero likes this.
  14. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

Fly from here is the most interesting and most relevant album Yes has put out in several decades. I was quite shocked how good it was and how much I listened to it. The follow up was crap. I'll certainly buy it with Trevor on vocals it will be a real Drama sequel then

tspit74 likes this.
  15. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Very well put however Anderson seems fine now and from all the video's I have seen of ARW they seem to be really having a blast playing-fun and smiles all around. A far cry from the current YES lineup. 'Five Percent' could have only been played by Bruford and even White said he couldn't play it and couldn't even figure out how to play it. They should have skipped that track as it really is embarrassing and I'm a big fan of Alan as a drummer but that style of playing is not what Alan is capable of playing. Same with Downes not being able pull off many of Wakeman's parts.

16. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

How many decades is "several" when they've been on existence for less than 5? :sigh: Magnification is pretty decent in DVD-A

Aggie87 likes this.
  17. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Magnification is an excellent album no matter how you listen to it (except for Don't Go). It's a late career highlight and for me a top 5-6 Yes album.

SirMarc likes this.
  18. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Re-recording "Fly From Here" sounds like a horrible idea.

Talk about re-writing history. Sad.

(And I love Yes)

19. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Yeah, I don't want to come across as dumpin' on White and Downes. Alan and Geoff are very good at what they do, but it's not the same as what Bill and Rick do. "Fragile" wasn't the album to play all the way through after replacing most of the band. And why did Steve add that extra note to the iconic opening of "Roundabout"? I get that one gets tired of playing the same song for decades, but the time to go changing it up isn't when you're recreating whole albums.

Scottb likes this.
  20. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

The correct analogy would be to remix "Heaven & Earth" with Anderson singing. ;)

Scottb likes this.
  21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

My guess: Yes was primarily a touring entity, and at that moment, Benoit David was the vocalist in Yes. So having Horn do vocals on an album with zero intent/willingness to play live didn't make much sense, especially since they (presumably) were still trying to "legitimize" the post-Anderson band.

Obviously things have changed considerably since that LP was recorded. Who knows, maybe Horn just did this on his own, for fun (since he had a huge hand in writing it), and someone's like "hey, we should put this out." No harm in it. I get why it came out the way it did in 2011, but also why a re-recorded version would have reason to exist.

22. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident Thread Starter

You can't polish a turd...

oneway23, Lownote30 and BwanaBob like this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Shouldn't they be overdubbing the vocals with a Mr Anderson?

24. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

The main attraction to Fly from Here was the opening suite and I thought that Benoit David did a credible job with the vocals on that album, so it's a bit of a shock to hear that Trevor Horn might be retracking the vocals for a, in my opinion, unnecessary reissue. The album is just OK. I certainly don't see it as an improvement over Magnification nor do I feel that a reissue is warranted based on its own merits. Now, with that being said, if they chose to do a deluxe edition of the Drama album, say, with a full show included from that tour with that particular lineup as well as more bonus songs added to the '04 reissue(if there are, any), I would buy that.

izgoblin likes this.
  25. Actually, couldn't one argue (perhaps even more) that the genesis of some/much of that material lies in the wake of Drama, and by all rigthts, it really deserves to be served up in Trevor Horn's voice?

That, and I can't imagine Anderson being interested in a million years (in this specific material, that he had zero hand in creating originally).

I've never owned Fly From Here (or at least not yet), but if they redid it with Horn's vocals, I might be sorta half temped to at least check it out. (And it's not that I've sworn off Fly From Here -- I've just never gotten around to buying it yet, always figuring 'someday' I'll get to it.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.