YES "Fly From Here" with re-recorded vocals in 2017?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

I would rather hear the demos they did in Arizona with Benoit and Oliver Wakeman.

2. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

During Yes's mid-2000s hiatus, before hey hired Benoit David, Squire/White/Howe planned the "More Drama Tour" - they would perform Drama material because Jon and Rick weren't up to touring at the time. It fell apart because the band couldn't get visas in time to play booked dates.
    No visas, tour for Yes members - The Boston Globe

davers likes this.
  3. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Maybe instead they should completely re record Heaven and Earth with new everything. My Gawd what an awful album.

It makes Talk sound like CTTE. Hell Union is better than that POC.

4. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Yes, with Downes, too! I believe sharing a bill with The Syn and White. I bought a ticket to that in Atlantic City, and was devastated when it was cancelled.

5. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It still amazes me how many times that album gets referenced in these threads. To know how much it sucked means that you felt the need to hear it, possibly even parting with money to obtain it. So what does that say about the people who went and got it?

6. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

True, many people need to hear an album before they decide that they don't like it. Is it better/smarter/more logical to judge an album without hearing it?
    Maybe it says that they bought the album because they were loyal fans who expected that they would like it more than they did.

Personally, I bought the album because I own all the others and I generally like Yes's material so it seemed a safe bet. While I don't hate the album, I do think there is unfulfilled potential there and that the album is not among the band's strongest work.

7. Say It Right

Yes (no pun intended). With the track record over the last 25 years or so, there hasn't been much "new" Yes material worth engaging, save Magnification and FFH, which were both pleasant surprises. The group themselves realize that anything other than the classic period is ignored, forgotten or outright disliked by a majority of the audience. Hence, focus is on what they did between 1970 through Rabin getting them off life support.

It's understood that certain people will still gravitate toward the Yes name, the emblem and Roger Dean cover designs, which is why Howe secures these assets. As a vibrant force, this is a spent unit. So, no, Heaven & Hell was not worth buying, listening to nor complaining about on a message board.

8. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

So people aren’t allowed to say their opinion about an album. And they should’ve had an opinion before they heard it. Makes sense...

Jimmy Agates and JediJoker like this.
  9. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Heaven and Earth is no masterpiece, but I find myself listening to it more than any other post-1983 album (except for Fly From Here).

keiron99 likes this.
  10. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Wow I find Talk and The Ladder to be vastly superior to Heaven and Earth. To each his own though.

JediJoker, anduandi, zen and 2 others like this.
  11. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

That would be interesting.

12. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

I'm definitely in the minority here but I like Heaven And Earth and play it regularly. My only problem with it is that it doesn't have enough variety in the tempo of the songs. I certainly play it more than Fly From Here and Open Your Eyes.

Olias of Sunhill and Blue Note like this.
  13. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

99.9% would probably agree with you!

JediJoker and bruce2 like this.
  14. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Well, I don't agree and I doubt 99.9% will.
    "Superior"...possibly..."VASTLY superior", no.

All three are mediocre albums at best but as a Yes fan I find things to appreciate in all three albums. "The Ladder" is probably the best of the bunch if only because it has one really great song, "Homeworld".
    But then it also as "Lightning Strikes", a song worse than anything on "Heaven & Earth". The same could be said for "State Of Play" on "Talk".

15. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Talk is YES's last classic without doubt! It was material from that album that most YES fans where clambering for when AWR announced they where doing a tour! Your defineatly in a minority if you think H&E is only 'slightly' inferior! State of Play is solid and has some of Rabin's slickest guitar playing on it!

bruce2 likes this.
  16. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Now 99.9% will disagree with THAT statement. The album gets low ratings everywhere.
    On rateyourmusic it has a 3.01 rating which makes it the 5th worst Yes album.
    On progarchives it has a 3.06 rating which makes it the 7th worst Yes album there.
    Allmusic gives it 2 stars out of 5, 3.5 from the users.
    On besteveralbums it has a average of 3 stars.
    So "Talk" is rated as a lower tier Yes album pretty much everywhere. Yes fans (me included) would like them to play songs from "Talk" because the album has been ignored by the band since 1994, not because it's "the last classic Yes album".

ledsox likes this.
  17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I dont like Talk at all. In fact the only Yes album worth a damn since 1987 is Fly From Here imo.

24voltsdc and Endymion like this.
  18. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Oh great, another interesting Yes thread derailed as superfans fight over ranking post-90125 albums from least-to-most disappointing.

Predictable, but better than “which touring band is the true Yes” and “Bruford vs White.”

:yawn:

19. Say It Right

It's been beaten to death, so much so that it has to appear in threads that aren't even about that album (i.e., this topic is supposed to be about Horn vocals on FFH). People who wasted their money buying H&H, and their time listening to it, have only themselves to blame. Instead of continually venting on a message board, it might be better to just cut the losses and accept the $1 at the used CD shop.

Rufus rag and uzn007 like this.
  20. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

I'd say that "Fly From Here" is the best album since 1983, probably because most of the songs were written in 1980.

24voltsdc and Rufus rag like this.
  21. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

I still don’t enjoy Fly From Here (though I’ll buy the new version as soon as it’s available) and Heaven And Earth, but, love Magnification and Keys To Ascention (once you pull out the live stuff) (Mind Drive is one the greatest Yes songs of all time).

The other post-Big Generator/pre-Fly From Here albums were lost on me for a good 15-20 years. One day, I decided to learn them and put them on heavy rotation. They really are good albums once you give them a chance to absorb them.

Union, however continues to be mostly a dud. There’s some wonderful stuff there (I think I prefer the ABWH songs), but, as a whole, it’s a mess that doesn’t flow as an album.

Rufus rag and Sandinista like this.
  22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I agree about him on Drama but he is no John Anderson.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  23. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

I love every album.

Yep. Talk, Union, FFH, Open Your Eyes, Heaven & Earth... Them too!

I just take whatever they give me.

And love them just the same.

24voltsdc and Endymion like this.
  24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Surely they can just stream it on Spotify to find out how bad it is?

Say It Right likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.