Yes - Going For The One and Tormato. Yes experts what say you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stax o' wax, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Huge Yes fan here. To me, Tormato is unlistenable. Terrible record. GFTO, on the other hand, has its moments. A solid record and worth having for fans, but far from their best work. Howe and Wakeman sound like they're fighting with each other much of the time.

2. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Several have commented on the sound production of Going For The One. I never cared for it myself, way too bright and not enough bottom end for my taste.

DiabloG likes this.
  3. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Love Tormato but agree that the production & Wakey's synths sounds drag it down a bit. On the plus side Squire's bass playing is very melodic & prominant in the mix plus Howe is a monster as ever. Surely 'Release Release' is the best 'rocker' YES ever recorded?

I preferit to Going for One which in itself is a great album!

DiabloG likes this.
  4. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

GTO is as good as any classic period Yes album, I'd say.

Tormato features mostly strong material but the production is over-busy and congested, making for a fatiguing listen. It also contains the worst Yes song I've ever heard - the one about the circus, in which Jon Anderson's son makes a cringe-inducing guest appearance.

5. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I got back into Yes a couple years back after decades of ignoring them. I was really into them in high school but mainly the "Big 3" '70s albums and 90125/Big Generator. Didn't do much exploring beyond those; I think falling asleep during Tales of Topographic Oceans gave me the sense there wasn't much else to grab hold of.

But in my recent renewal of interest I've heard everything they've made up through the 2000s and I'd rate Going for the One as an excellent album, 4.5 out of 5 stars. Tormato is probably my least favorite of their albums from the 70s. I'd give it 2 out of 5. "Onward" is a gorgeous song, that's about the best thing on there as far as I'm concerned.

6. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

This thread is depressing me with all the Tormato ragging that's going on.

DiabloG and izgoblin like this.
  7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Going For The One sounds terrible, which is a bummer. And the album cover sucks. It was a huge let down for me when I first heard it. Tormato was again a step-down, but not as huge of one.

I love Side 2 of Going For The One and Side 1 of Tormato. The other sides of each album contain some good stuff, but are very disappointing imo.

8. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident Thread Starter

are you people listening to cd? have they been remastered?
    Cuz my vinyl copy of Tormato sounds really good.

9. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Love the title track. Other than that it's ok

10. stax o' wax

I think the song Wondrous Stories really captures the essence of GFTO.
    The songs narrator (Jon) is shrouded in mist and sounds like he's in a foreign land.
    Maybe Iceland....journeying thru green glacial meadows , and deep gorges with turquoise colored streams,seeking the wise man.
    I'm going to take another bong hit now.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  11. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

So is there any chance at all of Steven Wilson remixing GFTO at least? Or is the Yes remixing project done?

12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Supposedly, all the master tapes are not available, though we've heard that line before. I'm sure that SW would like to do this one if he could.

13. John54

John54 Senior Member

Going for the One is a very good album, and I rank it up with Yes's best. I would probably only rank Close to the Edge ahead of it.

Tormato is a different story. The opening track Future Times is very good, but that's about it. Still, there was only one good track on Time and a Word too IMHO (the superb title track).

14. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Do you like the debut more or less than Time and a Word?

15. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I'm the fan who was happy to see those insipid Roger Dean covers take flight.
    BRING IT ON! :wantsome::tiphat:

I love both records, but I love Going for the One just a little more. Thought the same thing back then as well.

16. John54

John54 Senior Member

Quite a bit more.

17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I like the Yes debut way more than Time and a Word. TAAW actually has a pretty good Side 2, but I really don't like Side 1 at all.

18. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Going For The One is a record I put up there with the other Yes classic albums. I could (and have) listed to it from start to finish many times.

In regards to Tormato, the tracks Don't Kill The Whale and Onward are excellent tracks. (The rest I could take or leave them)

Definitely take some time to see the you-tube footage of the band recording Going For The One. Some great insight on how the band created and recorded the music.

19. getitgoin

getitgoin Forum Resident

Who said I wasn't naked?

20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

"Release, Release" is a euphoric song imo.

zen, Terrapin Station and strummer101 like this.
  21. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It's one of the great benefits of working from home. And no one has to see my less than trim posterior. A win-win.

22. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I saw them do that one live. It was pretty good live.

strummer101 likes this.
  23. stax o' wax

OK I'm going to stick my neck out here and say what needs to be said with regard to the cover art on GFTO.

The cover art for Going For The One is brilliant.
    I love it.
    It's a great piece of album art.
    No question.
    Those of you shocked, bothered, or horrified by the human form.....really?
    The metaphor of standing naked opposed to the monolithic symbols of modern society, the cold steel and glass vs flesh and blood.
    It's a relevant statement on that cover.
    The triple gate fold cover nicely folds out to reveal a massive skyline of steel and glass vs "the man"...brilliant.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    willy, anduandi, saturnsf and 2 others like this.
  24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The problem I have is the bubbles coming out of his butt.

izgoblin, Rufus rag and stax o' wax like this.
  25. stax o' wax

You've never farted under extreme stress?

(Hypnosis they love bubbles and orbital objects just check out the cover of UFO - Obsession. I think they did a Hagar one too with steel balls or bubbles).

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Terrapin Station and Rufus rag like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.