Yes - Going For The One Audio Fidelity SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PageLesPaul, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

The amount of gold in a Gold SACD/CD is about 14mg (0.00045 troy OZ ) x US$1586/OZ = US$0.71 worth per CD.

2. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Jerry Hall?

3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

??

Final assembly for the SACD layer is done in a Sonoma workstation.

4. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Wow... Even more excited about this than Close to the Edge... I look fwd to hearing what you will do with this album. Musically it's always been one of my favorite Yes albums, but the sonics have left much to be desired!

ponkine likes this.
  5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

$29.99

Say It Right likes this.
  6. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Pretty cool that Steve is tackling this one. It will be another challenge with all that high end energy fighting for space at times and reverb in the mix.

I wonder if he has ever mastered a song which contains a church organ recorded through a phone line. (Parallels and Awaken)

Here's Rick in 1978 from the book Yesstories on recording Awaken-

"We did it that way because that's the way things are done in Switzerland... They said "what do you need a mobile for? All you do is rent a phone line for a day". So we rented a phone line. I put on the cans, the guys put on their cans and one, two, three, four away we went. It was great. The pipe organ was recorded direct into the studio. I listened back to it over the cans, drove back to the studio, cut a little overdub and that was it. Finished!

Lost In The Flood and ponkine like this.
  7. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Very excited about this!!! Hopefully, we will get more YES after this one. Day one purchase here!

ponkine likes this.
  8. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I always told my friends that the naked man on the cover was Patrick Moraz' backside heading out the door

Meng likes this.
  9. Skyflash

Skyflash Forum Resident

Final assembly yes, the actual mastering moves with EQ, volume rides are done on an analog mastering console straight off the tape machine. The output is split off the console into separate feeds for the cd and SACD.

Some engineers use digital workstations to do some of the 'cleaning' and unfortunately, Eqing and compression in the digital domain therefore going through A/D - D/A conversion and wrecking the sound(IMHO)if the master tape.

My point was that the reverb was placed there during mix down and is on the tape permanently and in order to get rid or reduce it, you would have to go into the digital domain and mess with it. A process Steve prefers not to use. If you wanna hear what I'm talking about, listen to the '94 remaster of Genesis -Trespass to hear ambience being destroyed(for different reasons of using noise reduction)

Only Steve knows and as he has said numerous times in the Close to the edge SACD thread he doesn't / isn't allowed to talk about it. Judging by the sound of the CTTE disc, it sounds more analog because it was recorded direct into the Sonoma with no other processing done afterwards. Only track indexing would need to be programmed.

10. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

Steve just posted a Twitter message saying

@SteveHoffmanTV: I finished remastering YES "Going For The One" for Audio Fidelity SACD yesterday. Came out really nice. Great album from the 1970's!

Thanks, Steve for keeping us informed. Now comes the wait until it gets to stores.

Also, there is a magazine interview with him:
    http://www.cepro.com/article/how_mastering_process_affects_an_albums_sound/

ponkine likes this.
  11. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

This in itself is almost music in my ears. Going for the One is one of my all-time favourite albums. I had practically given up hope to get to hear a version of it that would be as astounding sonically as it is musically, but - happily - it looks like there still is a chance...

12. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

Me too. "Close to the Edge" had a great cd version on the Barry Diament Version - so I didnt need to buy he Hoffman version (Also I dond have a SACD player). But "Going for the one" sound thin on the Pre-remaster version, and loud and compress on the Rhino Remaster Version. So I will happly buy this new gold version.

13. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Bring on "Adventures in Mastering" Steve! :goodie:

:righton:

14. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident

Can't wait for this one. I have it on vinyl and would love to hear an SACD mastered by Mr. Hoffman himself!

Sorry if this was mentioned somewhere in the thread already, but is there a preorder up yet?

15. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

CAN'T BLOODY WAIT! Awesome!

16. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Going For The One was the first Yes LP I bought as a lad. Love it, except for the title track, which I think is the worst song they've ever done. Awaken, though ... that's the stuff.

Gunna have to get this, even if I don't have an SACD player. Although I'd much prefer a Hoffmanized Relayer ...

--Geoff

17. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I'm pretty sure 'Relayer' will come next :cool:

Starwanderer likes this.
  18. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

That would be heaven. I never liked the way that one sounded but I love the music.

ponkine likes this.
  19. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I don't think I've ever heard anything from GFTO.

Really looking forward to playing it for the first time.

20. Belsnickel

Belsnickel Forum Resident

The model's name was "Boris" and he definitely was not 5'4" and hairless like Anderson.

21. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Not.......Boris The Spider? :laugh:

303 Squadron likes this.
  22. swanlee

swanlee Active Member

We need an AF SACD of Tales, this album has NEVER had an audiophile quality release.

23. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Wow! I am so jealous; discovering this for the first time! You are in for a nice ride, especially Awaken!!

jahndhi likes this.
  24. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

25. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Is there at least an approximate release date? I know it's too early to ask, but still...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.