Yes "Progeny: Seven Shows from Seventy Two" - NO Bruford/White Arguments

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yescool2002

yescool2002 Forum Resident

If you open the box 8 times, it will get damaged.

2. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

I have, and it hasn't.

3. yescool2002

Yours didn´t, but Roy´s will

4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The replacement CDs (in their mini-LP packaging) arrived on Friday. Thanks for caring, Dr Rhino.

5. John Buchanan

The set was released and it's well worth buying. You may not think so - fine. However, NOT releasing it would have been a missed opportunity IMHO. And I consider what I typed worthy of being on the forum.

PhoffiFozz and zen like this.
  6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

If only you'd replied with the above instead of a snit to my reasonable post.

Such is life.

7. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Particularly as Rhino are apparently very happy with the sales, according to Brian Kehew.

PhoffiFozz and ARK like this.
  8. John Buchanan

Sorry to have upset you. I couldn't see how anyone could have seen the set as anything less than essential Yes. As you said, c'est le vie

9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

You didn't. I didn't see why I should put up with a snark post.

10. John Buchanan

OK. Enough said.

11. John Buchanan

Hopefully that might lead to some concerts being released with Bill Bruford playing to finish off the higher quality replication of Yessongs.

PhoffiFozz, davenav and ARK like this.
  12. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

^^^
    Now that would be a 'Shut up and take my money' release. :D

davenav likes this.
  13. yescool2002

Just received the Georgia replacement. Now I have to ask them to replace Knoxville...can´t believe how incompetent they are.

14. John Buchanan

Fortunately, I got both - at least they WILL replace them.

15. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I've got the vinyl edition, the highlights. It's like an amazing bizarro-world take on Yessongs. Out of curiosity, for those that have really combed through the box set, are there any versions of the tracks that simply lay waste to the renditions found on the "highlight reel"?

For example, that might be my new favorite live version of YIND, but if there's an even BETTER one? I've simply gotta know, haha

16. dankrakafoon

dankrakafoon Member

Differences are not huge, but after many listens, my favorite versions of each song are elsewhere in the box set. I also like listening to each show in their entirety.

PhoffiFozz and Smartin62 like this.
  17. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

If you're the sort of person who likes to play a show on its anniversary (coming up very soon for some of these), or just need a change of pace while plowing through the 30 Trips box set, pull one of these puppies out and give it a spin. I played the blue one. It's also a good way to get ready for the upcoming Fragile blu-ray set. It's nice not to feel compelled to play the other 6 shows this week and simply enjoy the concert. :laugh:

18. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Just got this for Christmas!

For those who've already listened: are there any versions of "And You And I" on this set that don't feature that horrible harmonica?

19. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

^^^
    All of them.

I don't think Squire started playing the damn thing until the Relayer tour.

ARK and Larry L like this.
  20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Got the highlights set. Kind of surprised how little low end is on the recording. Was Chris using that toppy a tone or did the low end not come through onto the recording for some reason?

Aggie87 likes this.
  21. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Rfreeman likes this.
  22. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

From the technical notes on the album http://yesworld.com/2015/03/yes-progeny-live-from-seventy-two/

Still, there were other problems—besides the Dolby issues (which also caused the thin sound on the Tormato album) – that had to be resolved before we could use these shows as sources.

For example, Chris Squire’s bass tone: It has always been unique and defining, and in some ways the key component to the band’s sound. But this was not captured on tape, probably because the recording equipment had been improperly set up at almost every show. At times, the bass track sounds too distorted, with no low end (the critical feature for his instrument!). It was also recorded with a single microphone that might have been poorly placed, with no “direct” sound, which is a separate channel used to give fullness and presence. Sadly, on the treble/top, the bass was also missing the distinctive stringy snap and sizzle of the famous Squire Rickenbacker. And at one show, the bass was mixed accidentally with the piano track, making it very difficult to place in the mix.

Clearly, if there was one thing on these tracks that needed improvement, it was the bass recording. So many “tricks” were used to make the bass sound fuller and stronger—sometimes with excellent results. In addition to special EQ and compression, the bass channel was rerecorded through an old 1970s bass amplifier and speaker to get a true low end. This now-deep tone was added to the rather thinly recorded bass sound to create a full and sharp tone. The technique worked so well that it was also used on the thin kick drum track, which the bass amp filled out nicely.

23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Thanks. For all the tricks they used it seems the recording is also helped by the simple trick of turning up the rarely touched bass tone control on my Outlaw receiver. Turning up sub doesn't really cut is as there is no bass guitar signal to speak of below the crossover freq.

Was the bass similarly absent on Yessongs?

24. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Crazy question. Does anyone have the run times for each of the 4 discs that were flip flopped? I got some replacement cd's fro dr rhino, but I've confused them now. Thanks in advance.

25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Jon Anderson says what city they're in after Siberian Khatru or thereabouts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.