Yet another "I need a new turntable" thread!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dan, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan

Dan Senior Member Thread Starter

I've acquired too much cool vinyl, and I'm ready to upgrade, but I'm not going to spend more than $400---I'm just not gonna do it. I'd ideally like to spend between $275-$350. I do want something nicer than what I already have.

What am I upgrading from? The only turntables I've ever owned; a
    Technics direct-drive (20+ years old) on which the speed tends to drift too often
    and is now at the moment retired, and was succeeded by a similar aged
    Technics belt-drive that I rescued from the thrift store and put a new
    belt on. The speed on the belt-drive model tends to drift as well. It gets me by though.

The usual suspects among turntables in that price range are my target;

Pro-Ject Debut II (cheapest of the three by a hair)
    Music Hall MMF-2.1
    Goldring GR-1 (the most expensive of the three)

I've looked through some past threads. What else should I consider, and any comments on the above choices?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Dan,

the Project Debut 2 has been replaced by a Debut 3, which comes with a much better tonearm. The new arm should work well with better cartridges than the arm on the Debut 2.

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I'm not at all impressed with the build and material quality of the MMF-2.1 that I have...I've seen better built cheaper turntables. :shake:

4. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

If you're willing to buy used you can get a MMF-5 for around $350. They turn up on Audiogon on occasion. That's what I did and I'm very pleased.

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member Thread Starter

Okay, that's why I saw a couple of places with both at similar prices. I couldn't figure out what the difference was at first.

There's a Pro-ject 1.2 on eBay for $200 as well.

6. jt1stcav

jt1stcav Say It With Single-Ended Triodes

New or used? Direct-drive or belt?

If you're interested in used, find a Denon DP-62L, a solid, rock-steady manual direct-drive (with tonearm lift) which can be had for $400 (sometimes more, but they're that reliable)! I had one for 17 years that never gave me a single problem, and sounded sweet with a Sumiko Blue Point high-output MC cartridge. Definately a step up from what you've used thus far IMO! :righton:

Attached Files:

7. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Considering the tables I've owned in the past (a cheap Technics with a P-Mount cart and a couple Duals that always had speed issues), the MMF-2.1 is the best I've ever owned. I replaced the stock cart with a Shure M97xE and I'm very, very happy. The only thing missing for me is an easier way to adjust VTA.

Rudy, what other tables in this price range would you pick over the MMF-2.1?

8. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

You might be able to get a used Rega P2 or P3 for under $400. I am very pleased with my P3, as are a number of forum members.

9. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

As always I'd get a used Rega 3
    infinately upgrade and well built.

and they DO run at the correct speed!

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.