You had the Oppo BDP-105 and you've had the Oppo UDP-205 for some time...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oxenholme, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member Thread Starter

I can't make my mind up whether or not I should go for the UDP-205.

The video side doesn't really interest me. I'm more interested in the audio.

Especially surround, so that means SACD, DVD-Audio, Blu-ray, DVD-V, Dualdisc, and DTS disc.

Or via a portable hard drive plugged into the USB port.

Is it better?

Hoping you might be able to convince me one way or the other!

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I've had a 105D for some time and had the 205 in my system for a little over a month. I did several A-B comparisons between the two players with analog and HDMI. Using RCA cables from both players to two different analog inputs of my XMC-1 it was a fairly simple process.

I have a few duplicate stereo SACDs and put one in each player and hit play. After going back and forth between each player making sure the volume levels were equal I really didn't hear much if any difference between the players. I did the same for HDMI as I wanted to see if the advanced HDMI circuitry of the 205 made an audible difference. As with analog I could not detect any audible differences.

I found the 205 to have some quirks that the 105D does not have. With the original 205 FW when playing SACD with DSD the disc would pause for 2-3 seconds then playback would resume. The other issue was that when stopping and starting playback with HDMI (I believe) the relays in the 205 would click. Not a big deal but quite audible from 6' away. The 105D does not have any issue with relays clicking at all.

In the end I returned the 205 to Crutchfield as I felt the 105D sounded just as good and did not have any operational issues. If you do decide to try the 205 I'd highly recommend Crutchfield as they do price matching and offer free shipping as well as free return shipping.

3. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

That answers your own question right there. Save your money if you don't own or don't plan on owning a 4k TV.

4. oxenholme

Oh dear :(

Not looking good!

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I have both.

In my use, the 205 does sound better than a 105D. How much? Hard to quantify. But it is almost like going from a '95 to a 105D. The 205 is very smooth, and has a better DAC.

6. seikosha

seikosha Forum Resident

Interesting. There shouldn't be an audio difference in going from the 95 to the 105. Oppo made no changes to the audio circuits between the two. I suppose one could argue that the lack of the fan on the 105 was a factor.

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I think not.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. seikosha

seikosha Forum Resident

The 105 used the Sabre 9018 the 205 uses the Sabre ES9038 Pro

SandAndGlass and tmtomh like this.
  9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Not true. Totally different PCB layout, different DAC configuration (stacked in the '95, not in the '105), different power supplies, etc.

10. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

Yes not the same 105 d uses Sabre 32 according to Hi-Fi World

11. seikosha

seikosha Forum Resident

Thanks SamS. I called Oppo once about this years ago and they told me that the audio circuits/DACS in the two models were identical; all the improvements were for the video section. This is good to know.

12. Do you plan to use HDMI out, or analog?

13. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Very interesting, albeit conflicting, listening comparison info - thanks!

I'm sticking with my 105 for now because of the SACD-ripping and HDCD-decoding capabilities.

Pancat, Gardo, Doug_B and 2 others like this.
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I think the best option would be to order the 205 and demo it in your system. That way you would be 100% sure how the 205 sounds in your system with your ears :).

Brother_Rael, Cliff and tmtomh like this.
  15. oxenholme

Analogue! RCA for surround, but wondering about XLR for stereo.

16. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I'm happy with the 205 over my previous 105D. But I wouldn't have considered it if I didn't have a 4k TV. I also A/B'd the units and the differences were subtle indeed. There are some posts worth reading in the main 205 thread (in this forum).

manxman and Rolltide like this.
  17. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

scobb likes this.
  18. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

What he said.

19. High Fidelity

I see from both a review AV forum, the 205 has no operational issues & a poster on AA that the 205 has a superior analogue SQ due to the latest ESS Pro Dacs also found in the very expensive Ayre DAC, seems you are the only one who does not hear an improvement with the 205 analogue sound. I may have to try one for myself despite saying I would never buy another Oppo

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It would be helpful if you posted links to the two reviews of the Oppo 205 that you are referring to. I'd be curious to know if in either of those "reviews" if the 205 was compared directly with the 105. My thoughts on the 205 are based on direct A-B comparisons with the 105 and not based on what I thought both players sounded like hours, days or weeks ago.

The issues I had with the 205 in my system have been verified by other 205 owners. I suggest you read more than two reviews to get a more informative view point of the 205. The 205 is an excellent universal player that many are enjoying. But for my needs and in my system the 105D is my choice over the 205.

I have no clue why you would bother buying the 205 after you have posted numerous times that you'd never buy another one. How could the 205 ever measure up to your Sony 5400ES with HATS? But some just seem to have the need to stir the pot and create controversy ;).

tmtomh, FashionBoy, scobb and 3 others like this.
  21. High Fidelity

Not being PC literate I have no idea how to post a link. If you go to AA DigitalHigh rez you will find the post by buf he compares 105D with 205 & Google AV Forum for the excellent review. 205 has jitter reduction ,possibly similar to HATS, buf says 205 analogue is better than the Sony XA5400ES which is why I want to try it for myself.

22. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters

If you are predominantly after audio quality, the oppo is not your only option in its range of course. I do not know first hand of the audio improvement of the 205 vs the 105, but my previous digital playback device was in fact a bdp-105 and i could never quite stand its sound. I thought perhaps it was due to the other quite revealing and transparent pieces in my system chain being a SET amp through horns. I validated this when getting my new DAC, which is a night and day improvement over the oppo in so many ways. Overly complex, poorly navigated, machines in my opinion. And the sound was brittle, glaring, and quite 'digital' sounding for me. So unless if the 205 is truly a major inprovement, Id say go elsewhere if audio is your primary concern. The oppo performed way under its hype for pure listening..for me at least.

Blair G. and krlpuretone like this.
  23. High Fidelity

I had the 103 and could not stand its sound which I found very inferior to a much cheaper Sony BD player, via HDMI Oppo say it will sound exactly same as 105, so I can well understand that you could never quite stand its sound. Usually you can never know how a component will sound until you hear it in ones own system at home.

jfbar167 and jkull like this.
  24. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters

I know many utilize oppo's and are happy with the yield that they have attained for the cost, and that is great, and perhaps their systems help offset things a bit... But for me, it was practically unbarable. To the point that I was listening exclusively to records 98% of the time when it was my digital source. Perhaps they bought all of their positive reviews lol, otherwise, im totally confused....

25. oxenholme

I am perfectly well aware what sort of sound I get listening to the BDP-105EU in my system using both 5.1 and stereo analogue connections to Parasound P7, thence Cyrus Zero X monoblocks and Monitor Audio Gold Reference 60 speakers. It is nowhere nearly as bad jkull & High Fidelity describe. Infact it's actually quite nice. And I find the Oppo intuitive and very easy to use. Needless to say posts slamming the 105 are neither use nor ornament in helping me to decide whether or not I should go for the 205.

Simon A and Bill Mac like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.