You just can't win, Astell & Kern AK240

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TommyTunes, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

Yesterday while in NYC, I stopped by B&H Photo and picked up a Astell & Kern's AK240. This morning when I went to their web site they introduced a special edition of the player called the 75th Blue Note which comes preloaded with 75 High Res Blue Note albums and each album comes on an SD card with a special case and a 75th anniversary Blue Note book. I would have loved to get this package.
    BTW anyone know where to order the Astell & Kern Balanced Crystal Cable?

2. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

3. TommyTunes

Ouch! I figured maybe $3500 not $6k.

4. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

wow. I was trying to think of something else, but wow is all that comes to mind.

5. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

It just seems to me the digital realm is like a boat or a rabbit hole that you can sink a ton of $ into. There's always new and better and improved coming out at an alarming rate. It's not like buying an amp from parasound where that is going to be a fantastic, up to date, and high end piece of equipment for years to come.

6. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

return it and get the one you want.

7. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident

I played with the A&K 240 Blue Note edition at the private launch event yesterday, October 7th in Capitol Studio's, Studio A. The Blue Note package is just stunning. I especially loved the hard cover Blue Note book and the stunning SD chip collection/stand with all the 75 selected Blue Note albums.

Fantastic speeches by CEO Henry Parks of iRiver (Parent company of Astell&Kern) and Don Was (President of Blue Note Records). A well stocked open bar and beautiful women around! :) LOVED IT!

Here are some pics I took at the event:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd love to get this package, but $6k is a hefty tag. But what a desirable package!

Robin L, EVOLVIST, Simon A and 2 others like this.
  8. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

It's all a rip off

Scott222C likes this.
  9. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Oh, man, now I'm really jealous:righton:

shaizada likes this.
  10. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Hmmm - that is a beautiful player, but at $2500 I can't imagine it's 6 times better than the Pono player coming out. (I will admit it's probably a better unit given the dual dac, balanced out etc. At $75 per lp, that Blue Note package is a complete, utter and total rip off... No wonder the music biz is in trouble.

11. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

Just an FYI for those of you that can't swing this set but have been drooling over the hardcover book:

Available for pre-order at Amazon.com for $53...I can't wait!

JeffMo, Simon A and shaizada like this.
  12. djcavanagh

djcavanagh Forum Resident

Let's hope they also release the soft cover book, although that seems more of a long shot.

I still can't get my head around this pricing, particularly given that people who are most interested in Blue Note in hi res will already have most of the albums already (I think I only want the five previously unreleased ones and these will surely become available at some stage). The little stand and the SD cards are a nice touch but not worth $2k.

13. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

You might also be interested in Leica's "Hermes" limited edition M9.

Colin M likes this.
  14. TommyTunes

That must have been a great event. Did they say if the albums were in 24/192 or DSD? I can't seem to find any info or who did the mastering. It really doesn't matter because at $6K it's more than I can spend on a DAP. $2500 was a stretch.

15. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I think the A&K is grossly overpriced, with or without 75 albums preloaded. They have managed to establish themselves as the premium brand of the segment, but I don't see that lasting. The little Sony is $299. The Pono is $399. The Calyx is $999. So far the only one that impresses with audiophile grade internals is the Pono. For small, flat and cheap, the Sony is very good. I think A&K was hoping they would have the run of this market for a while.

cwsiggy likes this.
  16. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident

The albums are ALL in 24/192. Some of the mastering was done by Alan Yoshida, some by Bernie Grundman and others I have no clue about.
    I do know that the COMPLETE Blue Note collection will all be in 24/192 at the bare minimum for future archival purposes.

It was a stunning event...just to be in the same Studio A, where Sinatra and Nat King Cole recorded was an overwhelming honor.

Simon A likes this.
  17. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

Where are the pictures of the beautiful women??

mdm08033 likes this.
  18. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident

Aha! This guy knows where the real action is! :) How weird would I look taking pictures of hot women at a private event?! :)

Just make do with the acrylic case of Blue Note albums!! haha

In my defense, I did post a pic of Don Was...isn't that what audiophiles like?!

No Static likes this.
  19. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Oh I thought Was Or Not Was. :)

20. RichardG

RichardG Forum Resident

Spare a thought for the UK - we're only getting 10 of these available and they're priced at £5000, which by today's exchange rate is JUST OVER $8000!!!!

Ouch!

21. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Ouch! That is even more than what is already a lot. Is the increase because of VAT?

They're making 1000 of the Blue Note special editions. Part of me wonders if they'll be able to sell them all. And part of me knows they probably will.

I'll have to make do with a Pono Player and buying a few Blue Note albums from HDtracks.

JeffMo likes this.
  22. RichardG

RichardG Forum Resident

Yes...good point - it very well might be.

23. TommyTunes

Had a chance to spend some time with this unit. A truly Stella performer, playing 24/96,24/192 and DSD it surpasses the Benchmark 2DAC. The built in headphone amp is an equal to most however a well designed tube amp still bests it. The player moves easily from PCM to DSD files without glitch. The only drawback other than the price is that you must use an Android app to move files. I really wish I could drag and drop.
    I haven't been able to try the balanced output into my LCD-X's yet because I'm awaiting an ALO adapter to go from the 2.5mm to the XLR connector. I initially thought that I could make one but trying to solder to the 2.5 plug is nearly impossible.
    Yes it's stupidly priced but once you hold and listen to it you realize it's a real quality item, plus it's a high performing USB DAC.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  24. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

--------------------------
    Very poor marketing from A&K, especially if the prices were close.

25. TommyTunes

They are not the Blue Note Edition adds $3500 to the price

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.