You just can't win, Astell & Kern AK240

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TommyTunes, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I was thinking the same thing - I wonder what these albums will cost at Pono store?

2. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

You need to keep in mind that it's WIFI enabled and functions as a USB DAC

Brother_Rael likes this.
  3. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident

AND in other news...I just got all the 75 Blue Note albums as of 5 days ago :)
    Fits on a small Micro SD card with an SD Card adapter. Albums take up 120 gigs in total.

You would typically just plug in the Micro SD into the AK 240 unit. All albums come with the artwork that will pop up on the screen in the list.

econalan likes this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

It will be a fun new toy for you to play with! I sensed from your OP that you regretted not getting the Blue Note one.

5. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Many of them are available on hdtracks. Pricing should not be much different.

6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Jude from Head-Fi has a video tour of the AK240 user interface and some of its features like being able to use wi-fi to stream and play files from your local network. Its interface and use seem to be very good with some nice features like searching. Not your typical MP3 player UI.

LeeS likes this.
  7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The book looks wonderful.

8. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

-----------------
    Yikes!!!!!!

JeffMo likes this.
  9. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I'd pay that if I got the entire Blue Note catalog remastered, the ones available now and into the future.

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That's a lot of money for files. Yes, I'm old-fashioned. It's funny that it comes with a hardcover book.

black sheriff likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I wouldn't pay $6000 even if Mr. Astell & Mr. Kern delivered it to my house and brought pizza.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Will the files themselves be marketed separately? At what price? I've heard of this player, and know it is well regarded, though I don't play in that sandbox. If the retail of the files adds up to the delta in price between the basic player and this special edition, it makes sense, though it certainly ain't cheap. Kinda thing your best friend should buy for you. :)

13. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

What if Abbott and Costello delivered it?

14. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

They should have called it the Franklin Note edition. Cause you're paying almost a Franklin per album. :D

On a cost per album basis it isn't worth it. But as a special edition for well-heeled audiophiles who like jazz it could be worth it. The files come on microSD cards along with physical artwork for each album. In that sense they're a physical item that could be collected and resold. At least you're getting something physical for your money.

They should have probably also included a portable hard drive with all of the files on it. So that it would be easier to transfer all of the files to your audio server. The type of person who can afford spending that kind of money is probably not the type of person who would want to sit in front of their computer feeding and copying 75 microSD cards to their server.

Robert C likes this.
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

WHO's delivering it?

cwsiggy, Bill Hart and JeffMo like this.
  16. TommyTunes

It does come preloaded, if that makes a difference. At $4K I would have considered it.

17. TommyTunes

A friend of mine bought the Blue Note edition and we put some of the files on a hard drive to play them through my system. These are different masterings from other High Res versions that I downloaded. IMO they sound very close to the 45 lp's. They are ultra detailed.

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Did John buy it? I saw it at RMAF and it looked really cool.

19. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Out of curiousity, I asked a representative at a show if it can interface with any car audio system so that the car's built in control will control the player and track information will display in the car's display window. The answer was no. In that respect, a lowly iPod has a one-up on the A&K.

20. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

21. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Well, those fine gentlemen have hear your comments regarding delivery of the $6000 player and have decided to send Kate Upton instead. Along with a large pepperoni and portabella pie. All the pie you can eat!

22. TommyTunes

Not only looks but sounds great. To get the best out of it you need to use balance phones, the difference is remarkable. Initially I thought what did I do, it was too much an impulse purchase but after upgrading the headphones to LCD-X's and using the balanced output, I'm really happy.

LeeS likes this.
  23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I heard a few tracks with the Alpha Dog Primes and I thought they sounded good.

24. Hmmm...some say...SOME SAY the whole balanced/unbalanced thing is a myth. That is, that if I plug my HD800 cans, with stock wire, into the AK240 at 10ft there shouldn't be a difference at that distance between balanced and unbalanced.

I dunno. What do you think? Am I really short changing my cans...and thus the AK240 in the process?

BTW, good writeup on the AK240. I don't have one. I'm trying whittle down which is going to be the best DAP for me, and this model is on the shortlist.

As you can tell by the headphones I own, I like my musicto be very revealing, even to the point where I once thought something sounded good, doesn't sound so great anymore, e.g. the Beatles. From what I've read, the AK240 pairs very well with the HD800s to give just this type of response to the listening experience.

25. TommyTunes

First I used the single ended cable with the LCD-X's and then the balanced. There was a significant improvement in transparency with the balanced. Both cables are excessively long at about 8 feet. I also tried the unit with Grado RS1's and PS500's, the balance output puts the unit in another class, compared to my other DAP the Fiio X-3.
    As far as value goes that's something that only you can decide. It's ridiculously expensive for a portable device.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.