You knew a reboot of "Miami Vice" is in the works, right?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, May 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

daca, DiabloG, Rad Dudeski and 4 others like this.
  3. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I don't see how this works. Part of the great charm of the original series was how it came across as a discovery that southeast Florida and the lifestyle there was very cool, hip and of the moment. Of course the show and that perception were tied together in the public mind, with a synergistic effect. But it worked, and suddenly it seemed that it wasn't only New York and California that could be/were on the cutting edge.

Well, that discovery is something that could only happen once. The very idea of a reboot undermines the notion of there being any similar "discovery" now. As such I don't see any revisiting of the concept being successful.

daca, DiabloG, Rad Dudeski and 3 others like this.
  4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I don't think I've ever seen a thread title about one of these reboots and not immediately thought "Why?".

5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I will ignore this like I have the other reboots.

daca, Bluesman Mark, DiabloG and 7 others like this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Well, they say this one is set "in the hipster enclaves of Idaho that remain relatively unknown among the general public."

So they're hoping lightning strikes twice.

Bluesman Mark and DHamilton like this.
  7. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Please don't reboot Cheers

8. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I am not sure this is worthy of its own discussion, but I don't think the sense in which Miami Vice was hip has much if anything to do with hipsters. Other than the first three letters of the words.

MikaelaArsenault and johnod like this.
  9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The thing about reboots is that the only thing they usually revisit concept wise is the location and in this case there will be a white and a black guy teamed up with similar personalities to Crocket and Tubbs. That's about all their going to really do. It's mostly about slapping the IP onto this show so they can sell it easier.

10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I wish Castillo would give "the look" to the TV execs and make this happen:

Rad Dudeski and Gumboo like this.
  11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Leave TV shows alone.

daca, Rad Dudeski and Michael like this.
  12. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Yes. Irked by the idea of someone just cashing in on brand recognition. If they wanted to do a show featuring an older and wiser PMT and DJ reprising their characters, I'd give that a look, but the concept alone isn't enough for me to tune in.

MikaelaArsenault and eddiel like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Even Michael Mann himself couldn't reboot the idea with his 2006 movie, and that totally sucked and bombed.

14. Livewire91

Livewire91 Mammagamma Member

Hopefully they don't make it with some rap and modern mainstream radio music. It could work as long as they don't modernize it too much.

15. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I would think that's the whole point to draw young viewers.

Livewire91 likes this.
  16. Livewire91

Would be better to use music from different decades. I guess you are right though.

17. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

This news is over a year old, if it truly is "in the works", they sure are taking their sweet time with it!

18. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I remember visiting my parents when they lived near Miami beach in the mid 80s. The streets seemed pretty much deserted every Friday evening between 9 and 10pm!

I could be wrong, of course, but that’s how I remember it. In any case I can’t imagine that happening now. Probably because it wouldn’t be filmed in Miami – it would be filmed in Vancouver!

Livewire91 likes this.
  19. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Starring Owen Wilson and Cuba Gooding Jr. :confused:

Steve Litos likes this.
  20. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

You do realize that re-making Miami Vice and its concept wouldn't work without recent Top 40 in it, right? Imagine the original show, but instead of Peter Gabriel, The Damned, Godley & Creme or Phil Collins they only used Tex Williams, the Andrews Sisters, maybe some early Rock n' Roll - 'modern' (as in: recent chart) music is a crucial part of MV's concept. Remaking it with the same music that was used in the original show would essentially be pointless.

Hardy Melville and Livewire91 like this.
  21. Livewire91

True, thats why i mentioned using music from different decades. That would work like in many modern movies and tv shows.

22. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Ah okay, I overlooked that point. At this day and age, where many young listeners listen to a mix of old and new, this would be a great choice, actually. I just hope they don't ruin the remake - a new MV could work, but only when handled with care. :targettiphat:

Peace N. Love and Livewire91 like this.
  23. Livewire91

Indeed :righton: lets hope they don't modernize it too much. Hope they capture the image of miami after 2010 and if there is some on going crimes there that are popular.

I really liked what they did with guardians of the galaxy for example. They chose the music really well for those movies. Suicide squad also had pretty decent music.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  24. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Hey how bout this...get a BIG BOOT and kick all those REBOOTS out!!!

Rad Dudeski likes this.
  25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

MM clearly didn't get or understand the concept of MV and why it worked, hence why we ended up with the trash he released. He should've passed on it and leave it to somebody who did.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.