You knew a reboot of "Miami Vice" is in the works, right?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, May 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

It's so true. The micromanaging paid off. And kudos to you for your part in it. If you look closely, you can see how perfectly the shots are framed, how the colours and design are co-rdinated so that you don't necessarily notice it unless you really look for it.

Also, Edward James Olmos: it's like this was the direction he got: "Never vary the tone of your voice or facial expression. Never show emotion. Move as little as possible. Avoid making eye contact with the other characters. If there's a wall nearby, stand against it. Oh, and also make the performance incredibly compelling." :) One of my all-time favorite TV performances.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The single funniest moment in the history of the show was in an early episode where Crockett leans over and starts yelling at Olmos, very, very close to him. Olmos pauses, looks him right in the eye, and says in a quiet growl, "don't you ever... get this close... to my face... again."

He's an amazing performer. For most actors, having a face that looked like 40 miles of bad road would be a problem, but on Olmos, it makes him a great character. He's fantastic in just about everything he does.

4. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

It's actually a great crime film with several classic scenes, but to appreciate it you almost have to separate it in your mind from Miami Vice. It is Miami Vice but it isn't. The digital hi-def capture wasn't good enough; too dim and irresolute. Nobody could understand what Gong Li was saying. Colin Farrel was pathetic as Sonny Crockett; an absolute disaster. He should have had the integrity to withdraw. He had no idea who this man is. Too many cold diffident British actors playing Americans and low-grade digital capture sink the film.

Vidiot likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The digital look was awful. I can't for the life of me understand why Mann has gone in that direction for the last 15 years.

MikaelaArsenault and Richard--W like this.
  6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

7. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Sorry to bump a old thread but any news on this?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

One thing's for sure... they'll never capture the magic of this scene..

9. MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  10. Luckily I was too poor and working too hard when this originally aired. I would watch it now and t(en when I would have a night off but probably only saw a handful of per season.

MikeInFla and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Will Don Johnson reprise his role of Sonny Crockett given that a revival of Johnson's other TV series "Nash Bridges" is also happening....

Nash Bridges Revival in the Works at USA Network; Don Johnson to Return

I used to work in San Francisco near the barge that "Nash Bridges" used as a set for its police station. My coworkers and I were hoping to run into Yasmin Bleeth.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    MikeInFla and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  12. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

This will both blow and suck at the same time. And so will the show.

Hollywood execs are lazy AF. How about a new idea?

See NYPD Blue comment above.

No. No. No you don’t. But if you do see her on the sidewalk, you definitely will not miss her.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  13. Richard--W

You got that right.
    A few minutes on the road at night in Miami with Crockett and Tubbs.
    Their implacable expressions as Tubbs loads the shotgun.
    Love how those silver hubcaps spin and glisten.

I was watching 4th season episodes a few days ago.

There's only only Crockett and Tubbs, that's for sure.

The feature film is a superior crime epic but it distances itself too damn much from the series.

Paul_s likes this.
  14. True but I can’t forgive it for the 80’s bad fashion.

15. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Don't these people remember why they cancel things they bring back? They only seem to remember the wins, but totally space the part where they lose.

Yet, everything they bring back, seems to get canceled again anyway, so, maybe that's what they're going for in the first place...? :confused:

16. Richard--W

That wasn't bad fashion.

That was Miami grunge which comes out of Florida grunge.

It's a style, and you gotta be cool to have it.

It's cultural and regional and weather-driven.

17. Richard--W

They should have produced made-for-cable features in the mid-1990s.
    Cable was doing a lot of widescreen shooting at the time.
    And Don Johnson was still young enough to be Crockett.

18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yet instead they went with Dick Wolf, shooting all around NYC in overcoats and power suits. :shrug:

Sometimes I think NBC was just in love with carting their business partners all around town, so they could introduce them to real teevee stars, shooting real teevee shows right there in their own neighborhood.
    That didn't even occur to me until I saw how gaga they seemed to be over the novelty of shooting a sitcom right in their own building, based on shooting SNL right in their own building.

Sometimes I think Lorne was the only guy who was keeping them from handing over the whole store to Dick Wolf seven nights a week.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's iconic, regardless of what you think. I agree, a lot of 1980s hair and clothes and shoes and cars are hideous to look at today... but it was an amazing show for that time. Very dated today.

MikeInFla likes this.
  20. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

I've not watched the original series for a long time but Seasons 1 & 2 stood out as the best for me.

After Michael Mann left after Season 2 it felt kinda different?

Livewire91 likes this.
  21. No, I didn't know it, and now that I do, I plant to forget it ASAP.

22. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The clothes don't bother me so much. Maybe the leisure suits? But the platform shoes and "big" hair are things we really want to forget.

MikeInFla likes this.
  23. Richard--W

True, BUT ... it's all good.

I agree the episodes in season 1 and 2 were so tight and so hot they
    generated their own heat. I had hoped the feature film would rise
    to the same level of quality, but it doesn't. The film has a different
    atmosphere, another kind of ambience. Ferrell wearing grey Irish
    tweed instead of the regional pastels kills it.

Don't worry about the hair and fashions. That was the 1980s. In
    ten years you'll be dissing the 2010s in the same way.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

On the other hand... that's the way things were. I work on 1980s & 1990s movies all the time, and it's a record of history. If you don't want to get bothered... don't watch them. But that's how life really was. Movies & TV shows merely mirror real life. 1940s shows have 1940s hair, 1950s shows have 1950s hair... that's the way it is. Someday, 2019 clothes and hair and shoes will horrify audiences of the future, but it doesn't make it wrong today. (Although I disliked 1970s shag carpeting then and now. Also paisley shirts and Nehru jackets.)

25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

We had those shag carpets during the 70's. I had a Nehru jacket too, but that was from the late 60's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.