You know you’re in a great record store when …

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by steelydanguy, Aug 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

When ....
    You buy a stack of records.
    Set the time machine controls to the year 1995.

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Hand you a Jack and Coke. :cool:

steveharris likes this.
  3. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I buy an EX Robert Ludwig Zeppelin II for $10 and Imagine Dragons are over $30.

4. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

..... you find that great album you didnt know you were looking for.

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The prices are fair. I'm sick of looking forward to going to second hand record shops and seeing items priced far higher than they go for on eBay, as well as the walls having common Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc albums on, with ridiculous prices on them. I recently saw a copy of that massive selling number one album, The Wall, for £120. A lot of copies of that, probably most of them, will be in EX condition still.

Also, when there is a good range of music, the shop isn't full of the same old 60s and 70s so called classic rock, which most collectors already own if they want it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    jlf, ParloFax and fastskillfulinjured like this.
  6. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Josies in Dallas is my latest, greatest example of this.

Arkay_East and Sean like this.
  7. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

When you walk out with 10 new records and you spent no more than $25.

roughdiamondnickel and Sean like this.
  8. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

CD Cellar only has one store these days. They consolidated their two stores into one at the beginning of this year.

The new store (it's pretty large) is located not far from where the old Falls Church store was; new address is 105 Park Ave, Falls Church, VA 22046.

9. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

They have a steady flow of used CDs and boxsets at great prices, many are preferred versions, always in great shape, but you can check the condition of them anyway; throw in a staff made up of vets that are always friendly and ready to order whatever you need that they don't have... thanks The Sound Garden in Baltimore.

jlf and steelydanguy like this.
  10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

A BIG SHOUT OUT to "The Record Centre" in Ottawa! On Wellington Street for decades now, with good prices and great selection. They even have small bands playing there some nights.

"New Arrivals" as soon as you walk in the door, and they even sell old Turntables, Receivers & Speakers too! Check 'em out of Facebook!

***** Probably best prices & selection in Ottawa :righton::righton::righton::righton::righton:

11. Just a shout out to The Sound Garden in Syracuse, which has most, if not all of the attributes listed in the OP, and the best CD selection in Central New York. I'm told their vinyl section is pretty good too, though I have no first-hand experience with it.

bmoregnr likes this.
  12. The Disk Union stores in Tokyo tick just about every box. I've no desire to shop online.

13. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

...there is incense burning.

smokeverbs and hipster006 like this.
  14. steelydanguy

Yeah, I've heard great things about the record stores in Tokyo. Hopefully I'll get to check them out someday.

15. steelydanguy

I've been to the Sound Garden branch in Baltimore many times, as I lived in the Baltimore area from 2007 to 2009. It's an excellent store. Definitely among the top 10 that I've been to in the United States. I say that as more of a CD lover than vinyl, although they do stock a decent amount of vinyl, too.

16. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

Luv Da Fetus!

17. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

It's impossible to know everything, I worked in enough record shops over the years to know that, although it's expected.
    What I like is asking, and the guy shouts HAY! Fred someone interested in xxx and Fred shambles from the back, clutching a handful of records, saying can I help you mate.

black sheriff likes this.
  18. pmdclassics

pmdclassics Forum Resident

The Best Record Stores........

1. You smell incense the second you open the front door.
    2. At first glance they have so much used vinyl you have no idea where to start digging.
    3. All the VG and below graded vinyl is separate in dollar bins
    4. They have racks of vintage clothing
    5. The walls are plastered with vintage memorabilia
    6. A sexy chick in a mini skirt works there and she is playing VH I.
    7. Hold on I just spotted a 1st press of Fun House....gotta go!

19. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

I had one amazing record store guy at a place here on Long Island that used to just put discs aside for me that he thought I would like. I'd go in once a week and he'd hand me a stack of CD's. Introduced me to GBV, Mind Science of the Mind and a bunch of other stuff, as well as hooked me up with some imports and rarities. I miss that whole experience.

steelydanguy likes this.
  20. A. Scrounger

A. Scrounger Forum Resident

...they don't say "we seem to be having a problem with your credit card, sir." ;)

21. Yes. There is a new trend in a couple of shops I've been to recently in Montreal, where they try selling everything at something like $10. Then a couple of weeks later, they drop the price down a couple of dollars for what's remained, and so on... Even the unsaleable stuff! I sure miss when they decided upfront to put stuff in the dollar bin, and they stuck to it! That was fun, and return business in my case...

22. One other thing I'll add is a great store will not do what I've seen one time too often here in Montreal: taking receipt of the return of a (really) defective used LP with no fuss, yet, since it is a collectable item and it looks NM, turning around, and the next thing you know the album is back in the rack with even the same price sticker on it! "The next customer may not care about this and/or might be a tourist from so far away that we'll never hear back from it..." I despise this practice!

Check this out when there is "no fuss/no question". It's often a sign...

23. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Portland has some nice stores, as a CD guy I always liked Everyday Music when I visited. Of course Amoeba is probably record store heaven for my money.

steelydanguy likes this.
  24. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

They have a nice, fat "new arrivals" section every time you visit.

25. steelydanguy

I've been to Portland once, and the record-store scene was pretty great. But it has been more than 10 years since I've been there. I'd love to get back sometime and check it out again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.