You say you want more Norah Jones on SACD? Here it is....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by soundboy, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Now you've got me looking forward to getting my copy. I've heard this CD for a while now, and been a big fan. I'd love to see Norah get back in the studio (or better yet, live) with Malick and his boys for another go round - this time recorded direct to DSD and released on hybrid SACD. What do you think sales of THAT disc would be???

2. GabeG

GabeG New Member

What's your source on this?

3. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Brian Moura of High Fidelity Review just reported on the Peter Malick Group/Norah Jones SACD. :thumbsup:

4. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

5. Tweaker

Tweaker New Member

Sckott,

This EP has a long and winding story and more than its fair share of controversy since it was recorded before Ms. Jones received the phenomenal success that she rightly deserves. Other than to say that the project gives a rare glimpse into a chance musical encounter and offers very fine performances by Norah, Peter, and the band, I’ll confine my comments to the technical side of things. The recording did originate in a multi-track 16-bit/44.1k session tracked and mixed by Ducky Carlisle who is well versed in old-school analog gear and technique, and this is reflected in the warm, round sound of his work. As with audio in general, it’s the implementation and the skill of the engineer that determine the sound – not the format. I’ll try to explain what is different about the SACD. I had originally mastered this set for a Koch CD release. Some time later the order came in for an SACD master. Rather than upsample the CD version I suggested going back to the original mixes for slightly different approach and, to their credit, Koch agreed. The SACD is less peak-limited and uses a slightly warmer EQ. Conversion to DSD was done with softDSD which has its own euphonic character thanks to the mathematical genius of its creator Mariusz Pawlicki. I also find that DSD yields a better recovery on the consumer’s end than most PCM, even with lower-cost SACD players. Don’t ask me why, it’s just what I hear. Much of the bad rap on 16/44 is the fault of poorly implemented consumer DACs. With the SACD, more of the quality of the mix makes it to the end-listener’s ear, and this was a good sounding set of mixes. The CD layer of the High-Note SACD was derived from the new DSD master and it does retain some of the euphonic effect of the softDSD modulation. I made every effort to create an SACD master that would be of value to those who love the format and leave it up to the listener to decide if I was successful in that endeavor.

Alan Silverman

Plan9 likes this.
  6. soundboy

Alan,

Thank you for your post and your insights. The SACD stereo mix indeed sounds excellent on my Sony SCD-CE595 and it is, in my opinion, more than a successful endeavor.

7. Tweaker

Tweaker New Member

Glad to hear this! BTW, I just got a call from Ducky Carlilse who gave some additional information. The original sessions were done on a Studer 820 2" 24-track at 15ips Dolby SR. A lot of vintage analog and tube gear was used during tracking - then the tracks were transferred to digital for post-production and mix. The mix went out analog through a Summit tube comp. Ducky felt that the digital transfers did not negatively impact the sound he had obtained in the analog domain.

8. soundboy

Thanks for the information. When I first came upon this SACD on Hong Kong ebay, I was kind of wary of the possible sound quality on the SACD. I had purchased some SACDs released by Hong Kong BMG, and given the resources at their disposal, that was somewhat disappointing. Well, what a major surprise when I cued up the Pater Malick SACD!!

Which brings up another question....how come this title isn't released as a domestic SACD?

9. soundboy

Thanks for the information. When I first came upon this SACD on Hong Kong ebay, I was kind of wary of the possible sound quality on the SACD. I had purchased some SACDs released by Hong Kong BMG, and given the resources at their disposal, that was somewhat disappointing. Well, what a major surprise when I cued up the Peter Malick SACD!!

Which brings up another question....how come this title isn't released as a domestic SACD?

10. JMCIII

Geez, you have to ask? Given the sad state of US SACD releases, it should come as no real surprise. I'm simply glad we can get it at all.

11. JMCIII

And it sounds fine through my Marantz 8260 also.

12. JMCIII

I got the opportunity to give this disc a real close listen today. I compared the SACD to CD layer, and, no surprise I favor the hi-rez mix. More space, fuller instrumental tone, and Norah in hi-rez - wow! I just wish it wasn't so short.

13. JMCIII

Alan,

Thanks for the insider insights. As far as I'm concerned, you did a fabulous job. Thank you for all the effort. I liked the original CD version, and I love the SACD.

14. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

My ebay copy arrived from Hong Kong yesterday and l found the SACD layer to be very nice. Her voice, and what she does with it sounds wonderful in hi-rez. I made a CD-R for the car and while interesting to listen to, can't touch her voice on the sacd.

15. soundboy

This was one SACD where the hi-rez layer clearly sounded better than the CD layer.

16. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

The stereo, though supposedly from PCM (and it most likely is) sounds good to my ears also, alas, better than the original CD release, IMO. The multichannel trumps all on sound, IMHO.

17. mtodde

mtodde New Member

I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the music and the sonics.

18. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

19. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

20. Dave D

Dave D Done!

21. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

22. Dave D

Dave D Done!

23. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

OK, who's tried Dolby Prologic II on "Feels like Home?" Does it feel like hires?!

24. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Yeah, 'cause it says postponed for the DVD-A as well.

25. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Does anyone know of an CD import version of "Feels Like Home" with the 3 bonus tracks found on the USA version?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.