Young Sheldon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Nov 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

2. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Sounds awful. We know where he ends up - it'd be Sheldon up to the point lenoard applied for the house.

He has had no girlfriends - or even friends. Should be a show about a miserable life.

Doesn't sound like fun to me.

I'd rather a show where Penny dresses up like a cutie pie and sings J-Pop Karaoke each week.

3. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Hooo boy. :sigh:

7. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Looks like a good vehicle for making fun of Christians and Sheldon's mother. Not much of a religious man myself - he said, thinking of the Tom Skerritt character from The Dead Zone - but I don't find making fun of religious people (even those that might be considered misguided) to be funny.

8. balzac

balzac Senior Member

There are funny ways to play that angle in sitcoms, but this show has never done a good job of it. Religious folks and non-believers should *both* be offended by the show's lazy, rote portrayal of this. I think Laurie Metcalf was great in "Roseanne", but she's not so great in "BBT." It's like both the actress and writers are trying to piece together a "religious person" without any actual knowledge of it. Similarly, Sheldon's dismissive tone paints non-religious and skeptical people in a bad light as well.

Some angles on this show have been mined well for comedy, especially in the early seasons. But the "Sheldon's mom is a religious zealot and Sheldon is a high-minded atheist" thing has never been one of them.

9. balzac

balzac Senior Member

And this spin-off show reaks of "Fear the Walking Dead"; trying to brand something else, *anything*, with the network's highest rated show.

The spin-off show doesn't sound interesting at all; Sheldon's occasional references to his childhood have sometimes been funny, and sometimes been rather hack as far as comedy/sitcom writing. But it's certainly not something that ever struck me as "Spin-Off Gold!" material.

10. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think we can definitely expect the usual deluge of typical religious comedy cliches that for sure.

I don't think I can stomach a show about a young Sheldon. I imagine he'll be a very annoying little slurt that you just want to punch for most of the episode. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2018
    MikaelaArsenault and neo123 like this.
  11. rburly

12. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

"Young Sheldon"?

Mercy.

13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Why a Young Sheldon show?

goodiesguy, Damien DiAngelo and daca like this.
  14. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Exactly.

Because Chuck Lorre is a churn 'em and burn 'em developer/producer. Get a hit TV show, burn it to the ground, people still watch. Syndicate. Spin-off or develop new series. Rinse and repeat.

See Rosanne, 2.5 Men, TBBT, etc. He has the same MO in each show. And that is MOney!!!

15. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I loved Cybil though..

GroovyGuy and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  16. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

My thoughts too.
    I've only watched BBT a few times, and I don't find it funny. It's like the modern day version of Friends to me.
    Anyway, IMO Sheldon is the most annoying character on the show. Watching a whole show based off of him as a kid sounds like torture to me. No thanks!

17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I already saw a negative review for Young Sheldon yesterday, even though the show hadn't premiered yet until later that night.

18. tomunbound

tomunbound Active Member

Watched this for the first time the other nite. (I'm shocked it doesn't have it's own thread) I'm not a big fan of 'Big Bang' (seen it, done it, been there) , but I had to check it out. Yeah, growing up in the 60's 70's was 'interesting' in many ways, I like how Sherman takes on the world, with his take on the world.

But the ending was too much !! The clip w/ Elon ... at first I thought it was a different program...but then I saw the notebook !!! I have not laughed out loud that much and hard in years ! That was GREAT ! Hats off to the writers and Mr. Musk !!

19. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Sherman is most obnoxious and least interesting character on BBT. I'd much rather see Young Leonard, Young Penny or Young Amy.

20. rburly

I wasn't as bowled over after the first show, so I wondered how it would turn out. This is yet another Chuck Lorre creation, so I expected CBS to not give up on it.

The show has improved and is much better now. I watch it.

21. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Because making us suffer TBBT wasn't enough......

MikaelaArsenault and rburly like this.
  22. rburly

In the past several seasons...

23. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I was prepared to hate it, but I really like this show.

MikaelaArsenault and colinu like this.
  24. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Really like young sheldon as much as I don't like Big Bang.

25. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Have you noticed that Sheldon's dad is the same actor who was the bully who tortured Leonard in a Big Band episode? Also, the emergency room nurse from Big Bang episodes is also a nurse in Young Sheldon, but remains the same age.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.