Your Best Deal Buying on eBay

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by vinyl diehard, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

In keeping with the "luck in the used bins" thread, and after what I would consider a great deal on ebay, I would be interested in members who have actually gone against the odds and purchased a lp, cd at a much lower cost than expected.

Last week I had a winning bid of 5.00USD for

XTC - Nonsuch cd - 1992 Geffen/Virgin issue - EXC condition
    XTC - EP CD containing The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead, Wrapped in Grey and Crocodile. Unopened by the way.
    2 1980's era UK music mags with XTC featured in them.

PLUS, only 3 bucks shipping to Canada. I figured I got the best of that one.

2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

About three or four years ago:

Frank Zappa - Old Masters, Box Two

Buy It Now: $30US plus $10 shipping.

Box is beat up, LPs and sleeves are mint.

3. I_Zimbra

I_Zimbra New Member

About 18 months ago, I picked up a Shout at The Devil Target CD by Motley Crue for £1.99 (just over $3) - it wasn't advertised as such but I took a punt based on the seller's description. I was mildly ecstatic.

4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I bought a Who's Next cd for $2 on ebay that turned out to be a Steve Hoffman MCA mastered version.

5. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Human Be In - Poster original NM copy for $55 currently selling for $1850 on other sites. 8 years ago had the Buy-Now option at $55. Not my fav design but the history of the event fits in well with my other Fillmore/Avalon Posters.

Pepper Mono UK $75 for a Mint copy wth the Widespine, currently selling in outreach of my wallet.

26 misc Avalon Ballroom posters about 10 years ago for $300 currently selling for $50+
    each.

ahhh...happy daze....

sean

6. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Just a few weeks ago..picked up a MFSL Magical Mystery Tour (record in mint condition, cover slight wear)..for $27

7. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Probably a 1st UK pink island pressing of Spooky Tooth's first album, NM...$4

8. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

promo Teenage Fanclub Bandwagonesque poster, autographed by the band - $5. Autographs look authentic, compared to autographs I've got in person from the band.

9. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

Rush, Permanent Waves original tour program, with all the band members signatures for $35.

10. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Limited edition of a deluxe edition of "Frank Sinatra:A Man & His Music" double LP in a blue box slip-case with a raised-letter cover and special augtobiography/discography book from 1965. Monaural. TOTALLY MINT. $25.00

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

New Leica black paint 50, 35 & 90mm rangefiner lenses, $700 each. Best deal ever.

12. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

Last month I got Steve's Ray Charles comp, "Uh Huh" for $1.99.
    Last year I snagged two Arista Monkees CDs, the debut and Headquarters, for $5.oo a piece. My biggest win was the Complete Miles Davis at Montreux for $75.

Jason

13. serge

serge Forum Resident

TINA brooks true blue original blue note on a buy it now for $80

sold for $2000 a few weeks later

doubt i will ever top it

14. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

In 2009 I had a few great bargains;
    New Order Retro, 5 disc version for less that £10.
    All the New Order CDs except Movement, but including Substance, International, best of and the BBC live discs, plus two Electronic albums for £12.50
    Stanley Road deluxe edition for £1.78

15. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

A Epiphone Les Paul in perfect condition (plus gig bag) for $50 from a little pawn shop in Georgia that said in the write-up "we don't usually deal in guitars, so we don't know if this is a good one or not."

I assume that's why I got it so cheap in the end. I took a chance, and it paid off... The guitar is absolutely wonderful, very smooth playing and great, crunchy sound.

16. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

I scored a near-mint Keith Jarrett - Sun Bear Concerts 10LP box for $0.99, since I was the only bidder.

I wish that would happen when I bid on Kind Of Blue mono 6-eyes ... sigh.

--Geoff

17. paradiddl

paradiddl Forum Resident

I paid the same, except the shipping costs bumped the price up to a nearly unbearable $6. ;)

18. bayen

bayen Forum Resident

I've had lots of luck (and some bad) over the years on Ebay...but the good has far outweighed the bad. Just a few months ago I won a stereo German PRT pressing of the Kinks Something Else for $12.00 and a mono German PRT Village Green for $13.00, both from the same seller and in unplayed condition. My greatest eBay win was a few years ago..a first press mono UK White Album in mint condition for $30.00. The seller posted one blurry photo with barely any information...auction stated: "Beatles stereo white album" and had one small and blurry photo of the record..no cover photo. I was barely able to discern the "Sold in the U.K. text..so I knew it was a first U.K. pressing. The seller stated that it was in perfect condition and they had great feedback...but didn't deal in vinyl so I was skeptical. I took a chance and placed the only bid of $30.00. Anyway, the LP arrived...perfect condition and in MONO! Seller stated stereo but the LP was actually a first press mono...plus the seller was in the U.S. so shipping was not an issue.

19. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Yamaha RX-V1500, lightly used, but missing the remote (my old one was compatible, though) -- for $95 SHIPPED. This is a $1000 receiver, that weighs around 30lbs! I couldn't believe it wasn't damaged. I half expected to be scammed.

Using it right now!

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

So many deals over the years (mostly earlier years) that I can't really recall most of them.

One that sticks in my mind: A big pile of studio 10" reel tapes with a bunch of Steve Walsh/Kansas stuff on them, sold as "re-recordable reel stock" for around $150 or so. (Sorry, they're stored away...can't comment on what stuff was on them now...)

21. Wow, great snag, I'm jealous :D

-s1m0n-

22. A couple of years ago George was selling a moderalely rare Sire/Reprise Replacements LP. Original asking price was $150. U.S.

Replacements, All Shook Down, German Vinyl lp, Rare and NM!

All Shook Down was the only Warner Replacements LP that I did not own. The $150 was out of my price range.

Last year I found a mint copy on eBay for around $50. :righton:

23. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Within the last year,

Red face Polydor Concerts in China JMJ for £5 ($8) another Red Face Polydor Jon & Vangelis "Short Stories" for £3.99 ~ ($6)

Very recently an AMD Firestream professional Graphics card for $40 list about 15 times that :)

24. RayistaGeoff

RayistaGeoff Forum Resident

Without doubt, it was a very rare mispressed Joni Mitchell Court & Spark target (orange/silver instead of light blue/purple) that I got about 3-4 years ago. I think it was about $8 including shipping. Eventually Ralph made me an offer I couldn't refuse (and I knew he'd appreciate owning it more than I would anyway).

Geoff

25. lennon_08518

lennon_08518 Forum Resident

A few years ago I was able to get the Japanese Red Vinyl Mono White Album by the beatles for $10.00. Perfect shape. I was in shock

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.