Your Biggest Album Disappointment

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

The album sucks but after CN it isn’t like I was expecting a great (or even good) album.

SRC likes this.
  2. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Probably Natalie Merchant’s Leave Your Sleep.

I was not on the same page for this release. Honestly, I don’t know if I ever finished it.

3. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

Pink Floyd: Momentary Lapse of Reason

dunkoid, BPMC, wabrit and 2 others like this.
  4. Confide In Me was not from those same sessions. It's a cleaned-up demo of a tune he wrote for the Manhattan Transfer to put on their album, which it is. Agree that it's the single best song from that era, though. I also like Florida Room, quite a bit.

5. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

For me, it's go to be this one:
    [​IMG]

Up to 1995 or so, I was quite a committed Sting fan, and then this one dropped in March '96. Uggh...

The only thing even more disappointing would be:
    [​IMG]

6. There's a pretty obvious reason why that happened, in retrospect. The Petty biography covers what was going on. After their earlier drug problems, Benmont Tench cleaning up, and Howie Epstein's issues, I simply don't understand how Petty could have gone that route.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  7. Stari Vrag

Stari Vrag Well-Known Member

Metal Machine Music.
    More than a complete disappointment.
    As a young teenager with no bread, I only had enough cash for one album that summer.
    And MMM was the one I bought, as I was already a huge Lou reed fan and that cover looked so cool.
    That following New Year's Eve , drunk, I smashed it to bits.

rockinlazys, ARK, Mitchy and 3 others like this.
  8. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Spike - Elvis Costello

IMO, this was his first stinker. It had been 3 years since he last recorded an album. Since then he split with the Attractions and was writing/recording songs with Paul McCartney. My anticipation for this album was huge, and it only increased with the release of the single “Veronica” (easily the best cut on the album). What a dud! Plodding, preachy rants without the clever humor of his best albums. Further, the album lacks the unique unity of sound and theme that marked every Costello release prior to Spike. It was worst than bad - it was mundane and pedestrian. In my eyes, he was never the same artist as he was prior to Spike.

(Note: I like “Goodbye Cruel World” which gets a lot of criticism).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  9. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

An end to the album more glorious than the album itself.

10. Kingsley Fats

Along the lines of Elvis Costello. Graham Parker split from The Rumour, went to USA & produced a trio of very disappointing albums in
    Another Grey Area / The Real Macaw / Steady Nerves
    he did bounce back however with the magnificent The Mona Lisa's Sister & is still going strong today having just recently released another new album. (His 23rd by my count)

Bungo, Fullbug and Hoover Factory like this.
  11. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Simple Minds were brilliant up to Street Fighting Years
    Big Country last great album was The Seer
    Gentle Giant last great album is Interview

Bebstrel and Beamish13 like this.
  12. Hoover Factory

A second choice for me would be “London Town” by Paul McCartney & Wings.

I was a senior in High School when that album was released. Everyone in school knew me as a big McCartney fan. I didn’t just like Beatle Paul, I liked Wings too. And Wings had a streak of 4 pretty good to great LPs - Band on the Run, Venus & Mars, At the Speed of Sound, and Wings Over America. Plus, a few months earlier, Wings had released a great double-sided single - “Mull of Kintyre/Girls School.” Also, I was tired of the radio stations playing all Bee Gees, all of the time. I was sure the news Wings album would restore some sense of order, and I continued to hold onto this hope even after the release of “With a Little Luck” - a huge hit which I found trite. Unfortunately, I did not like “London Town” at all - far too soft and gooey. It just reinforced the opinion of many of my rock oriented schoolmates that McCartney was “not a real rocker.”

13. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Well,Jimmy Page is just testing the waters and guarding the mystical feces and not disturbing the legacy unlike countless artists before and after him.
    S O no live audio is right for anybody.:ignore:

14. Kingsley Fats

Mull of Kintyre a great single NOT on my planet

a customer likes this.
  15. Hoover Factory

To each his own. I love the song.

16. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

The Who - Who Are You. Pete succumbs to a latent showtune tendency.
    Rolling Stones - Undercover Of The Night. Keith and Mick no longer on the same page.
    John Lennon - Rock'nRoll. Phil Spector should've been in prison instead of producing.
    Joni Mitchell - Wild Things Run Fast. Whatever godawful guitar effect defined the 80's. Joni should've known better.

17. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

B
    After Dirty Work???

18. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

I was really excited about the Mars Volta’s Amputechture, I was expecting to be taken on a sonic adventure and have my mind blown. Instead I spent 70 minutes sitting in my living room listening to a great group jump the shark.

Beamish13 likes this.
  19. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

xtc wasp star. Not bad, it is impossible but a serious let down and maybe their worst (except go2) for me!

Bungo and Mesozoic Mike like this.
  20. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident

Foo Fighters, Wasting Light.

In Your Honor was great (probably the Foo's best album), Echoes was ok with a few great songs... but then the piece of crap Wasting Light came out and I lost all hope in the Foo's after that.

Fullbug likes this.
  21. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

caetano veloso ceu
    i was a little bit disappointed too by prefab sprout from langley park! i loved steve mc queen so much. i think it's a good album but a step down to smq!
    the style council cost of loving! a major deception after our favorite shop!

Bungo likes this.
  22. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Any album with “Sun” or “Brand New” in the title.

Beamish13 likes this.
  23. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

There certainly are, but is that the thread topic? I think it's pretty much the general consensus that it's their worst album. I've come around to Naked a lot but at the time quite a let down.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    ARK likes this.
  24. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Interesting. A lot of Floyd fans felt the same way I'm sure. Myself? I got into Floyd on the strength of this album and absolutely loved it at the time. Didn't know care who was in the band let alone who hated who. I have the album in perspective now but still a nostalgic fave.

Dog Ear, andrewskyDE and wrappedinsky like this.
  25. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

It's all subjective isn't it. I love Spike. And Mighty Like a Rose. I found his Juliette Letters quite the letdown at the time.

vinylrec, Dog Ear and Hoover Factory like this.