Your cost for cheap CDs on Amazon is about to jump $1 across the board--min shipped cost = $4.00

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by kwadguy, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I sold a cd on Amazon this week for $6 and Amazon took a $2.85 fee from the sale. That's a huge cut! :eek: Almost half. I shouldn't even bother next time.

2. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

I don't sell anything on Amazon for less than $7. It's not worth my time.

3. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

That's still $3.15 in proceeds to you. You'd be lucky to get $1 at some Ma&Pa joint.

Small change though...yeah. :shrug:

Not sure where to put this...but...

I just got my new Jimi Hendrix PHA sent from Amazon, WITH my new CTTE sacd in the same package, though they were ordered several weeks apart. I emailed Amazon and said, shouldn't the shipping fees be waived because they were combined with a total over there $25 'free shipping' threshold ? Got an email back promptly saying they would refund my shipping costs. :D

Now that's great customer service !

4. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

As a buyer, I'm disappointed. As a seller, this is pretty bad. It is not worthwhile to sell any low value CD. I guess I will try to sell on stevehoffman.tv. So, I guess it is a bonus for this site. Maybe more small sellers will gravitate here. That's not all bad.

BTW, I'd recommend donating common CDs to the library rather than get rheyped by amazon. After all, we are people of good taste. Share with the community. :)

5. autodidact

Just a thought... maybe they are increasing fees because used items are too competitive with amazon's new product. They feel they are losing profit, so they'll try leveling the playing field a little. Just a theory, not well thought out or anything...

6. I presume that is a factor, especially for the media titles priced around $10.

7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

And I use marketplace sellers even more now since Amazon proper started charging sales tax.

Say It Right likes this.
  8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Not a chance. For low end media, Amazon's margins are way better on third party sales through the marketplace than on stuff Amazon sells themselves.

9. autodidact

When the new item is $16 and the used item is $.01? I don't quite see how that works. I can see in other cases you may be right.

10. Amazon might be trying to push reluctant customers from cheap CDs to the MP3s, which surely have more profit margin. They've pretty much re-designed their music section in recent months to promote MP3 sales over the CD format, through the search engine and other things.

11. autodidact

^^^ And they've increased the prices on a lot of MP3's too, to reflect how much more it costs to make them these days. :confused:

waxtomcat likes this.
  12. waxtomcat

waxtomcat Forum Resident

Their new Autorip feature seems to indicate quite the opposite though - buy a cheap CD and get the (more expensive) mp3 version for free.

13. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

That is a big jump. I just reviewed some of my earliest CD purchases on Amazon. From my earliest purchase in 2001 through 2005, the standard shipping credit was $2.49. Some time in 2006 it looks like it went up to $2.59 (only a ten cent increase). Some time between Jan. and March 2007 it jumped from $2.59 to $2.98, where its been ever since. I suppose after six years it might be time to raise it, but a whole dollar represents a very big jump indeed.

14. OnTheRoad

I'll still buy what I want from marketplace sellers, even with that $1.01 increase.

I've been buying fewer corndogs at my local market though...their price jumped to $1.50 from 99 cents. :(

15. I think it's mostly a tactic to rid themselves of current CD inventory and get those stubborn CD-only customers used to MP3s.;) They've increasingly shifted their CD business to CD-R on-demand pressings for back catalog albums.

16. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

As a seller, I am taking down my cheap stuff from amazon. Not worth my time anymore.

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Well, that shift to CDR is because the labels aren't willing to provide physical pressed CDs anymore, and Amazon has worked out the licensing with the labels to be able to produce the on-demand CDRs. It isn't that Amazon is telling them they don't want the physical pressed CDs anymore.

18. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

19. autodidact

20. OnTheRoad

Ordered a dvd and a couple of cd's yesterday.....shipping for each, $2.98

Yep....today it's $3.99 !!!

Oh well....it's just a buck. :disgust:

21. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Definitely. It would be good for sellers too. If I buy 1 CD from you, I would try to make it several if shipping was combined.

22. houston

houston Forum Resident

as Earth, Wind & Fire said, in their song "system of survival"....follow the money (actually it's reporter Bill Plant, I think, his recorded voice in the song)

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow. I am on Amazon right now buying a few things from Marketplace sellers and did a double-take. Thought there was something wrong, showing $3.99 shipping per CD instead of $2.98. Did some research & see it is a new price increase, came up here to break the news but see you guys knew all about it already.

I also sell used stuff on Amazon so as a seller I like it, especially if it also applies to LPs; with the latest P.O. price increases I've been losing about 50cents or so per CD (1st class) and over a buck for LPs (media mail) with Amazon's $2.98 domestic fee/allowance, so this gets me about even there for domestic stuff. But I buy probably about 100x MORE stuff from Amazon/marketplace than I sell so I'm not happy. Sigh. I didn't know about this other new fee structure either though. Sigh again.

24. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Sellers get a dollar more, but Amazon increased their closing fee from 80 cents to $1.35 so that dollar gets knocked down to 45 cents.

Oops - Just noticed this info is included in post #1.

25. I have no idea why individual customers would buy individual CDs now from a Marketplace seller over Amazon. Used copies are barely under the new Amazon price and most of the new copies are over Amazon's price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.