Your Criterion Collection

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RK2249, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

The Rumble Fish page lists the features:
    Rumble Fish (1983) - The Criterion Collection
    DIRECTOR-APPROVED EDITION:

• New, restored 4K digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Stephen H. Burum and approved by director Francis Ford Coppola, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray
    • Alternate remastered 5.1 surround soundtrack, presented in DTS-HD Master Audio
    • Audio commentary featuring Coppola
    • New interviews with Coppola, author and coscreenwriter S. E. Hinton, associate producer Roman Coppola, and actors Matt Dillon and Diane Lane
    • New conversation between Burum and production designer Dean Tavoularis
    • Pieces from 2005 about the film’s score and production
    • Interviews from 1983 with Dillon, Lane, actor Vincent Spano, and producer Doug Claybourne
    • French television interview from 1984 with actor Mickey Rourke
    • Locations: Looking for Rusty James, a 2013 documentary by Alberto Fuguet about the impact of Rumble Fish
    • New piece about the film’s existentialist elements
    • “Don’t Box Me In” music video
    • Deleted scenes, with a new introduction by Coppola
    • Trailer
    • PLUS: An essay by critic Glenn Kenny

beccabear67 likes this.
  2. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Thanks for the Rumble Fish info I'd somehow missed! Definitely heard good things about the 'Looking For Rusty James' extra feature.

Well, I found a 2 disc Criterion 'The Last Picture Show' on it's own (ex-libris though) on ebay... hope it arrives safely... claws crossed! I really didn't have enough of an interest in half the other films in the box.

Jason Michael likes this.
  3. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Actually no, I'm now up to 796... just picked up a few more during a 40%-off sale at a local used shop. :)

RK2249 and The Hud like this.
  4. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Hopefully you are saving #800 for a special title. :)

RK2249 likes this.
  5. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I have:

Thief
    A Hard Day's Night
    Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas
    The Game

RK2249 likes this.
  6. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

7. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just picked up this one too...it was out of stock at local B&N stores so I got it from Amazon:

[​IMG]

Claus LH likes this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What's the DVD Directors cut like ?

9. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Every Criterion I have now or have seen has already been mentioned with three exceptions:

1.the double DVD of Story of Floating Weeds/Floating Weeds. Two different pictures with the same narrative or very close made in the 30s and late 50s respectively by Ozu.
    2. Nanook of the North
    3. My Man Godfrey with William Powell and Carol Lombard

Of course Rocker must have them it's just that he didn't mention them. I didn't know Criterion even had 800 titles.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    RK2249 likes this.
  10. RK2249

Just watched Tootsie on MoviePlex...wondering if it's worth getting Criterion's Blu-ray. It's quite hilarious...just not sure how often I'd watch it.

11. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Yes, I do have them. ;)

When it is released in December, the massive 100 Years of Olympic Films set will be spine #900.

12. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I wish all predictions were that easy. What will Criterion put out for #1000?

13. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I have the MoC BD of Floating Weeds (1959), which is far superior to the Criterion DVD in terms of AV quality.

I'd be interested in seeing the 1934 silent version one day, but having the later film on BD pushes the Criterion set down my priority list somewhat.

14. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

"Let It Be" or "Song Of The South"

Jimi Bat likes this.
  15. RK2249

Would love to see a Criterion release of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Rocker likes this.
  16. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I have around 40 or so, a couple of rare ones such as 'This Is Spinal Tap'. I like my cool French stuff like Melville or music films such as Monterey Pop. I will buy them if on sale or secondhand. I'm glad to see the recent Welles releases in particular. Just bought Polanski's MACBETH from Amazon UK as it's a Region B disc.

RK2249 likes this.
  17. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

There are folks on bluray.com that own every single Criterion title released on Blu-ray, I'm not kidding.
    I don't understand the mentality there, not every one of those films is great in the first place.

RK2249 likes this.
  18. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Not every film is for everybody, but there is much to enjoy in the Criterion Collection, for those with eclectic tastes. I can understand why people reach a certain stage and think, what the heck, I may as well fill in the remaining gaps.

That's what happened to me with the Masters of Cinema Series. The BD collection is currently up to spine number 171. There are also an additional 65 spine numbers that are unique to DVD. I have them all.

Do I like every film in the MoC Series? No, but I like the vast majority of them. At this stage, I'm committed to the series, and it's easy to keep up with the latest releases as they come out. They have put out many classic releases that I'm already familiar with. I've also discovered many new favourites as a result of blind-buys.

19. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    7 days left for the CC 50% Off Sale at B&N.

I was watching an edited copy of The Emperor Jones starring the late, great Paul Robeson and wished I had the uncut Criterion version at my disposal. It's one of several features in their Robeson Box Set.
    [​IMG]
    dvdbeaver.com has a nice feature breakdown.
    For me it's now or never (especially at the price). Not very many in circulation and I'm not sure if Criterion is producing more.

20. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

My latest additions:
    [​IMG]

21. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

You are on a forum where people collect Target variants of "artists" like Kenny G. or whomever to complete their collection of Target CDs.

Wounded Land and htom like this.
  22. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

It's no less ridiculous than the folks around here who feel the need to own 50 different pressings of the same album.

23. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

If money was no object, I would own the entire Criterion Collection, probably in all formats.

Why not? :)

24. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Is there a list of the complete Criterion releases, both dvd and blu-ray anywhere?

25. TheHypnoToad

TheHypnoToad Senior Member

Reader likes this.