Your fastest Broadband Internet access at home: DSL, cable, satellite, ....?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AdamCalifornia, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamCalifornia

AdamCalifornia Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's about your desktop or laptop personal computers connceted to the Broadband Internet at home.

If you have two different ways of the Broadband Internet access, say DSL and cable,
    choose the faster one; ... and so on.

Wireless Broadband (stationary)

[​IMG]

Mobile Broadband

From here

[​IMG]

2. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Fiber Optic Cable... Verizon Fios. Fantastic service, I think we were one of the first places in the US to get it, been on it since they rolled it out several years ago and have never had one minute of downtime or service slower than what I pay for.

mtruslow likes this.
  3. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Cable for me via Comcast. I really can't complain - the service has been fairly reliable and the speeds are fast.

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Why would anyone pay for multiple types of Internet service? Just curious.

5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I have DSL. About 5 Mbps down, under 1 Mbps up. It can't keep up with high def video streaming. :( No FIOS or fiber where I live even though I'm in a city and other parts of the city have it.

My other alternative is Comcast/Xfinity and I refuse to do that even though my internet speed would be much faster and could handle streaming high def video. I don't watch the boob tube so I'm not missing anything by not having cable for TV. I don't like Comcast as an ISP or as a company. I'll take DSL just to avoid using them.

My previous home had fiber. I could get over 40 Mbps up and 40 Mbps down at times at speedtest.net.

6. dat56

dat56 Well-Known Member

ATT DSL. The best they can provide at my house is 4Mbps down. Not sure about upload speed. With three teenagers in the house, there is heavy usage at almost all waking hours.

The local cable provider, promises 20Mbps down for like...$40-50/month. Can they really deliver that kind of performance with cable? It's not fiber optic, after all.

7. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Fiber optic cable is the one I have at the moment. Works really great and havent been any problems whatsoever.100Mbps download and 10Mpbs upload.

8. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

DSL and it is crap. Thinking of changing my ISP provider.

9. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

I don't have 'fast' anything. The best we've got in this gawdforsaken corner of the area is a wireless broadband so slow it rivals dial-up. I peruse SHF with a book in my lap to kill time between pages.

10. Duggeh

Duggeh Forum Resident

8 mbit ADSL. No word from BT on when my comparitively rural exchange will get 24mbit ADSL2+ or 100mbit Infinity Fibre. I pay £20 per month for 30GB on peak usage and completely unlimited bandwidth off-peak.

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

12. audiolab1

audiolab1 Forum Resident

All of you who live in non-rural areas have no idea how good you've got it!

[​IMG]

And I pay $50/month for 3Gig of bandwidth at those speeds!

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Cable and wireless. I use both.

14. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member

12 Mbps U-verse here. Just upgraded from 768Kbps DSL.

15. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

FiOS

One of the few things I'll miss when I move from NYC is FiOS.

I went to visit friends in Metamora, MI and couldn't believe just how slow their internet service was - it was like pulling teeth for a website to come up.

16. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

DSL 6.0 Mbps is fine for my needs, but I may upgrade when U-verse becomes available in our area.

17. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I was recently reached by the "fiber to the cabinet" DSL service offered by British Telecom here in the UK and now I have ~36 Mb/sec downlink and ~10 Mb/sec uplink. I used to have ~3 Mb/sec downlink before so you can see why I am a much happier camper now!

The faster uplink allows me to run a file server accessible from the internet so if any of you guys mentions a particular track and I feel the urge to listen to it I can copy the FLAC file to my phone in a matter of seconds!

18. GabeL

GabeL Forum Resident

I've only ever had cable and DSL and I can say that cable is definitely faster, but I can't offer any quantitative measurements.

19. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

Comcast provides the fastest internet service in my area. I've had DSL for the last three months, and it is slow compared to Comcast.

20. royalcrown

royalcrown Forum Resident

21. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

Well, I would have said cable but 30 meg download speed does not do me any good if it drops to 5 at night. Which was the case with cable. Went back to Uverse and have 24 meg 24 hours a day.

22. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Time Warner Cable
    [​IMG]

23. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Mine's been pretty reliable (cable):

[​IMG]

russk likes this.
  24. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

25. chriss71